Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 6,650 times

Advertisements

I`m from Germany and I moved to San Antonio one year ago.I haven`t met many Germans here either.Is there a "german -hang- out " somewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2007, 11:00 AM

16 posts, read 55,336 times
You could try the local German club downtown. I forgot the name of the building that they meet at but they used to have or maybe still have the annual Fiesta celebration Hermans Happiness. Herman's Happiness is an annual Fiesta celebration where there are German dancers, and German food and beer. I've been to that a couple of times. It's really nice because it's very family oriented. I think this is the address to the place in San Antonio and another one in Fredricksburg. Beethoven Männerchor 422 Pereida Street San Antonio, TX 78217 210-222-1521 ... German Club 415 East Austin Street Fredericksburg TX 78624 210-997-2802 ... I used to go to school with a couple of girls who were debutantes at the German club also. There's probably lots of people who are part of that local German club who would be willing to speak German to you. I worked with a Frau Shultz -the German teacher at Brackenridge and a crazy teacher who would speak German to each other-he was Polish wanting very much to be German. You could also go out to Fredricksburg, Texas or one of the other little cities north or south of San Antonio -Castroville.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:43 AM

15 posts, read 62,402 times
Default germans with children

I have three children ages 3-5 ( 3 year old twin girls) and I am from Germany. I have a nice circle of German friends some with children and without. You can also go to the Beethoven Garten Fest downtown San Antonio on S. Alamo, the 3rd Friday of every month. The children can dance and sing with others and you can talk to other people. I also have my parents that live here and my 91 year old grandmother. Germans are everywhere but, just like any where else, you want quality people not just anyone. German bakeries are advertised everywhere but, they are not like in Germany. The ingredence is not the same so the product is Americanised. The Guenther Hotel is the closest to German pastry. It is run by a German baker from Germany. A restraunt o visit is Little Baveria in Kirby. I am on the NE side of town, if you like mybe we can let the kids play together. I also have a friend that organizes a German get together every second Friday evening and we met at different restaurants and in the fall at each others home.
)ps, from Heidelbrg Patty

Old 09-01-2007, 09:37 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,998,471 times
Here is the web site for the Beethoven Maennerchor that royal744 mentioned earlier...

Cheers! M2

Old 09-01-2007, 02:48 PM

4,796 posts, read 15,373,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmz1140 View Post
Beethoven Männerchor 422 Pereida Street San Antonio, TX 78217 210-222-1521 ... German Club 415 East Austin Street Fredericksburg TX 78624 210-997-2802 ... I used to go to school with a couple of girls who were debutantes at the German club also. .

The "German Club" associated with debutantes actually has nothing German about it. It was established in the late 1800's by prominent German immigrants and successful businessmen, and has always been an "exclusive" club. Membership is by invitation only.....and most of the members now are still prominent and financially successful, but the "German" part is just a remnant of it's founding. There are definitely some members who are descendants of those early German families....but that fact doesn't play into anyone being a member. And yes, they do pick the debutantes for the city on an annual basis.

Beethoven Männerchor is not at all associated with the "social" German Club.

Old 09-01-2007, 06:41 PM

734 posts, read 3,017,048 times
I've met a few German people, most of them are married to men in the military (or used to be in the military) and met them when they were stationed overseas. I can refer you to my friend if you would like I'll ask her if she has a group that gets together regularly or anything.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:37 AM

3,247 posts, read 9,055,218 times
Hey, I am married to a beautiful german lady from Bremen

Old 03-26-2008, 05:00 PM

1 posts, read 6,294 times
Hi Sabine. Ich bin gerade mal 2 Monate hier. Komme aus der Naehe von Heidelberg. Was hat dich nach San Antonio gebracht? Gruesse, Malaika

Old 03-27-2008, 06:31 PM

15 posts, read 62,402 times
Malaika, my mother is from Ziegelhausen near Heidelberg. Where are you from?

Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,179,593 times
Default Start a Meetup

You could start a German language Meetup group. There isn't one in SA yet, but there are several people signed-up that would like to participate in one if someone would just start it.

German Speakers, German Language Meetups, events, clubs and groups near San Antonio, Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio