Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:34 PM

422 posts, read 1,451,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by quest51210 View Post
i explained that,...you can get the permission from the property owner. pick up your free paint, rollers, buckets from the city, and knock yourself out. very, very simple

you can also get your city public works dept but it will take ages because they are a small crew for the entire city.

I have taken part of cleaning graffiti. It's sad that I have to take time away from my family to do so. I think all property owners must own up and clean their own property rather than except it. What I can't stand is when you have those that will persistently clean graffiti off their property, but the property owner next to them does nothing.

We’re not the ones causing the issue, we’re not the authorities to resolve the issue, we’re just the victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2008, 11:07 PM

2,397 posts, read 6,459,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekKnoll View Post
I have taken part of cleaning graffiti. It's sad that I have to take time away from my family to do so. I think all property owners must own up and clean their own property rather than except it. What I can't stand is when you have those that will persistently clean graffiti off their property, but the property owner next to them does nothing.

We’re not the ones causing the issue, we’re not the authorities to resolve the issue, we’re just the victims.
I guess the only way to take care of taggers is to clean up their messes, rather than expect the city to enforce any ordinances already in place. I can see why property owners might be reluctant to clean up, when they have to do it over and over and over again.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:49 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,408,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekka-maki View Post
I am so tired of seeing graffiti around S.A. I don't buy the close to thugs theory because if you look for it, you'll see it just about anywhere, yes... even Stone Oak. I've never lived in Houston or Dallas, but I NEVER saw this sort of thing living in suburban Chicago. I suppose it has something to do with apathy on the part of the Police Department, and the affluency differences between the two areas. Then again, I don't see this sort of thing out in the country (dunno about TX, but not in rural TN, AR, or IN [places I've stayed for a bit].

I don't know about sniping, but maybe if we could just stone them a little bit
slingshot could also be effective..

Old 08-13-2008, 07:53 AM

472 posts, read 1,793,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dog View Post
Tagging and graffiti is wrong and against the law. The parents(s) have fail. The parent(s) are scared to discipline their kids for fear of CPS. Don't have time or just don't care. Government is to involve in our raising our kids. If they don't like it,they will take them away from you and put them in foster homes. They will provide food stamps,health care if they aren't doing it already. In the 60's and 70's there wasn't any(as much?) of this because we knew that there would be consequences for our actions.

Graffiti is art. Vandalism is wrong and against the law.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:16 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,134,303 times
Please bring this discussion back to the original topic or the thread will be closed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele164 View Post
I live in the Alamo Ranch area and all I see lately is grafitti all over the place. It is on the bank atm machine, the new shopping center, new restaurants etc... I have lived in almost every major city in Texas and have never before come across so much. Why is this not more of an important issue for this city?

Old 08-13-2008, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele164 View Post
I live in the Alamo Ranch area and all I see lately is grafitti all over the place. It is on the bank atm machine, the new shopping center, new restaurants etc... I have lived in almost every major city in Texas and have never before come across so much. Why is this not more of an important issue for this city?
I think it’s because it is not in the scope for the mayors race. There is a mayoral election coming up isn’t there? What are the candidate’s top priorities for this city? Is vandalism clean up on their list? Are more art programs for kids on their list?

Old 08-13-2008, 09:55 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,802,338 times
I seriously doubt that more art classes will do anything to deter vandalism (tagging). But that's not a bad platform for a mayoral candidate to run on. Cleaning up the city. I'm sure that if they knew it was an issue for people someone would try and run with it.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuba steve View Post
I seriously doubt that more art classes will do anything to deter vandalism (tagging). But that's not a bad platform for a mayoral candidate to run on. Cleaning up the city. I'm sure that if they knew it was an issue for people someone would try and run with it.
That is exactly what I am saying. Politicians tend to go with whatever the flavor of the month is.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:25 PM

504 posts, read 1,458,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledWife View Post
Why should the city continue to pay money and supply the concerned citizens with 'free' paint when this incident should have never happened in the first place.

There is a time and a place for everything. And painting gang sings or whatever kind of 'art' on someone else's property is not it.

It's called personal responsibility and that is something you obviously do not understand.
its recycled paint for one, the other materials are paid for through a government grant. if the money is allocated for that particular program and it is not being used it will eventually be shut down and then every john q citizen will be yapping because it was never used properly.

continuous citizen action is the answer, but if you are too apathetic or spoiled to get out and do something about it other than complain on a forum there is no hope for your situation.

you obviously dont understand that i do not have to do what i do either. i get no pay, but my volunteers and myself enjoy making a difference in our community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreekKnoll View Post

this is why i involve my family. it is something my nieces, nephews, and siblings look forward to. we gather the family, have a good wipeout, have a decent lunch, and build our inter-family relationships at the same time.

very simple solution...stop being a victim

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanAntoQT View Post
I guess the only way to take care of taggers is to clean up their messes, rather than expect the city to enforce any ordinances already in place. I can see why property owners might be reluctant to clean up, when they have to do it over and over and over again.
that has always been your stance. that the city nor its elected officials will do anything to deter it and you are correct to a point. the property owners would not have to if they had a community based organization do the clean up for them and in return the group asks for some bottles of water for the Texas heat.

there was a time where people took care of their community rather than wait around for someone to do it. there was a time people voluntarily serviced their community, but dont any longer.

its a personal achievement if you do and you can involve family and friends as well. it is good to involve young kids in the effort because they build a sense of pride and comraderie. these are all things people claim kids these days dont have, but right under their nose exists many opportunities to build that character they lack.

some folks remain set that the younger generation does not care about their community, but the last large cleanup we had we could not bring all 140 kids that signed up from the local high school. we managed 85 and the city was overwhelmed with our volunteer group. kids with piercings, sagging pants, some seniors with tattoos, and they all got along and did a fine job.

i am not giving advice out of my butt or talking from observation. i am speaking on personal initiative and think alot of these threads would be reduced if people took more action than posting on a forum. from this forum alone you can meet with others from your area. so why not set up a network, work out a plan, ask for assistance in that plan, and then get everyones families together one day and carry out that plan?

why is that so hard? you already have the people...why not create something here and make a statement.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:51 PM

422 posts, read 1,451,315 times
Tag up my fence, i clean it up, shame on you. Tag up my fence again, I clean it up again, shame on me. I can keep cleaning, but it never solves the real issue, just gives them more blank canvas, and me more work. What now?

I'm not going to declare Friday nights "Happy Family Graffiti Clean Up Day." I have better things to do with my free time.

I'd rather purchase a ski mask, and stuff my fist down some punks face.

Nuff said...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio