Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 01:57 PM

847 posts, read 2,234,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post

Great post, very interesting. Earthshine and a jet trail and Venus.
interesting read here....Mars bonus with the eclipse.......
Tonight | EarthSky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2014, 08:38 PM

61,857 posts, read 87,314,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMan View Post
What camera do you use?
I have a Nikon d3100 and always fail @ taking moon shots. :/
Nikon D5100, I will use the bigger lens 55-300mm. My first moon shots, so I don't have many hopes.

I tried the meteor shower last summer, but unfortunately I wasn't lucky with the location. The Farm Road was very busy that night (at 3 AM!). I had cement trucks driving back and forth every 5 min.

This time I will try more remote spot.

Old 04-13-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I don't live in Texas.. but I can drive out of Phoenix and call you..

Hi Miss Elnina, although I wouldn't consider myself an avid photographer, from what I've read, the light intensity of the moon on that particular night will be sufficient to get spectacular shots without having to drive too far away from city lights.
Sure, I could drive just outside the city limits, but the sky is still dull gray there and very little to see. Why settle for less when I can have a much better view?
Most city people have no idea how the pitch-black sky full of stars looks like. It's quite amazing!
Just imagine: The sky is crowded with stars, extending to the horizon in all directions. In the absence of haze the Milky Way can be seen to the horizon. Clouds appear as black silhouettes against the sky. Stars look large and close. PLUS the Blood Moon!
Even if I don't take any decent picture, I am excited to experience it all.
ClearDarkSky Light Pollution Map
I am heading to the dark grey spot south of San Antonio - Cameron Ln.

Last edited by elnina; 04-13-2014 at 10:54 PM..

Old 04-14-2014, 07:48 AM

1,893 posts, read 5,592,334 times
Many people make the mistake of doing really long exposures when photographing the moon. It usually results in washing out most of the detail. Set your exposure for the brightness of the moon itself and not all of the dark sky surrounding it. The moon itself will be iluminated enough for short exposures. There will be plenty of time so experiment with many exposure combinations. Put your camera on manual and use a tripod.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,562,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Sure, I could drive just outside the city limits, but the sky is still dull gray there and very little to see. Why settle for less when I can have a much better view?
Most city people have no idea how the pitch-black sky full of stars looks like. It's quite amazing!
Just imagine: The sky is crowded with stars, extending to the horizon in all directions. In the absence of haze the Milky Way can be seen to the horizon. Clouds appear as black silhouettes against the sky. Stars look large and close. PLUS the Blood Moon!
Even if I don't take any decent picture, I am excited to experience it all.
ClearDarkSky Light Pollution Map
I am heading to the dark grey spot south of San Antonio - Cameron Ln.
My other half goes out frequently with his telescope and camera. Depending on what he's looking for, he either heads south about 40 miles out side city limits (he said this works well) or west to Hondo area. The latter is better, but more than an hour's drive.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:05 AM

Did you see the map? There are not many options
(Click top left just above the map, on the link: "Show all in Google maps", then zoom)

I checked the closest ones, and I believe that Cameron&Martin is the best spot (97 south then FM). Too bad, I live north SA - that will add extra miles.
I wish, I could drive to the black areas, but they are just way too far. Instead I will go to the closest dark grey.
Hondo doesn't look too good on the map, and 40 miles south SA will not be enough either.
Being in a dark grey spot will make a dramatic difference.
Last time I went to Gillett (purple on the map) - the view was not too bad, but not great, and the traffic was just so unexpected busy.
There must be a cement plant nearby, and I didn't check on that

Old 04-14-2014, 10:59 AM

4,307 posts, read 9,562,358 times
Quote:
Hondo doesn't look too good on the map, and 40 miles south SA will not be enough either.
Being in a dark grey spot will make a dramatic difference.
Last time I went to Gillett (purple on the map) - the view was not too bad, but not great, and the traffic was just so unexpected busy.
There must be a cement plant nearby, and I didn't check on that

Hmm. I don't have his map. He does this for a living tho....he said the place south is not as good as the Hondo area (it may be further west, Hondo is the nearest town but it's well outside of it) but depending on what he's looking for, can be food.

Old 04-14-2014, 11:11 AM

Well, let me look at the light pollution map again. I still have few hours till the eclipse begin...
Going to the west might be the same distance as going to the south...
East and north are very bad... Houstonians have nowhere to go...

Old 04-14-2014, 01:56 PM

2,382 posts, read 3,506,629 times
One of my favorite places to go and star gaze is a rest area about 10 miles past Kerrville on I-10 west. Sits high on a hill away from most of the traffic lights. No problem seeing the Milky Way or a meteor shower.
Have fun!

Old 04-15-2014, 01:45 PM

847 posts, read 2,234,519 times
Quote:
Nikon D5100, I will use the bigger lens 55-300mm. My first moon shots, so I don't have many hopes.

I tried the meteor shower last summer, but unfortunately I wasn't lucky with the location. The Farm Road was very busy that night (at 3 AM!). I had cement trucks driving back and forth every 5 min.

This time I will try more remote spot.
waiting for your pix. I'm sure you did good...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio