Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2008, 01:16 AM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
849 posts, read 1,046,634 times

Advertisements

This is a lunar eclipse, meaning you'll see the moon turn dark, then red. Click bellow to find out at what time the eclipse will occur in your time zone and more details:

NASA - Total Lunar Eclipse: February 20, 2008
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2008, 11:13 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,592,603 times
Thanks for the heads-up! I will try to keep this in mind and will have my kids check it out while it's happening. It happens at a good time of the night for us, though we may miss the early stages because it may still be light.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:14 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,420,711 times
good to know.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:46 PM

Location: Los Angeles, which as I understand was once upon a time ago part of the United States of America
Apparently on the west coast of the U.S., the moon will already be eclipsing when it rises. So I wonder if it will be at the point that it's red as it comes up. It would be interesting to gauge reactions from people unaware of the eclipse when they see a giat read thing begin to poke up above the horizon.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:54 PM

739 posts, read 2,186,689 times
Hey Prince, Will your Catholic neighbors be eating Kentucky Fried Chicken if you peek in their windows during this eclipse?

Old 02-15-2008, 01:40 AM

Only at perihelion.

Old 02-18-2008, 05:27 PM

Just a few more days...

Old 02-20-2008, 09:09 PM

316 posts, read 596,179 times
Default Why does the eclipsed moon stay light?

Having wathced over an hour a a half of this eclipsed moon from Central Jersey, I couldn't help but wonder why, even after the moon was totaly eclipsed, it still remained somewhat lighted. sort of like eerie!

I know the theory that this light is just a reflection of light from earth, however, during a new moon, when the moon is directly facing the sun, and hence has a much stronger reflection in proportion to the earth's rays of the sun, you never see any part of the moon light at night. Why during a total lunar eclipse, is the moon still light?

Any theories? Thanks!

Old 02-21-2008, 02:08 AM

Yes. Notice the moon appeared to be a reddish color, particularly from the east coast of the U.S. This is due to light bending around the earth (red is the lowest wavelength, so it bends moreso than any other visible color).

Also, it's due the earth slightly warping space, so the gravity waves of earth contribute to bending the light a bit as well, but only a little I believe. The other scientist guy here probably knows how much.

During a new moon, the moon is in the same sky as the sun, and so we don't see it because the side facing us does not get illuminated. The only time we see the moon during a new moon is when the moon gets in front of the sun and we see a solar eclipse. The reason we don't see solar eclipses on a regular basis is because the paths of the moon and sun are not exactly the same, so you need both objects to intersect each other's path at exaclty the same time.

Old 11-07-2022, 07:25 PM

2,222 posts, read 1,327,980 times
Default 8 November 2022 - Total Lunar Eclipse

8 November 2022
Total Lunar Eclipse
Watch the Full Video to know the exact date, timings of various countries and cities as well as all the locations of this Total Lunar eclipse !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxyPK8nfF4A

or watch online live in 6 hours
Total lunar eclipse over Tokyo
at 7:59pm local time (10:59 GMT)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHd4HUSnjtY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Space