Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-12-2009, 10:27 PM

88 posts, read 169,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
The complaint /concern about assessments paying for the Common Fences is widely spoken and I have heard it since we moved in almost 10 years ago. We do not have a Common Fence and it never bothered us that our assessments were paying for half of the maintenance. In my opinion there are several issues with the change. Why has the HOA put the responsibility upon the homeowner's after all these years? I would rather have the HOA foot half the bill and be assured the fences will be maintained instead of depending soley upon the homeownwer. With the exception of the Clock Tower the fences have a lot to do with first impressions of the entire community. All we have to do is look at the fences along Military and Westcreek Oaks that have not been touched since this new maintenance practice / responsibility began. There is no idea when they will be repaired and more than likely it will become a legal issue with the HOA and that homeowner. I do feel that the HOA could have prevented a lot of the damages to the fences if planting setbacks had been enforced upon.

As I have said in the past our Family rarely if ever use the ammenities. I have never obtained an ID Card which of course is of my own choosing. I don't mind that my assessments are paying for the others to enjoy the Sports Park, Pools, Annual Picnic ,etc.

When its all said and done it's the appearance of the neighborhood that will either sell our homes or allow them to sit and in turn affect everyone's property values.
Well said, Wellguy! I do not have a common fence on my property either. There are three reasons why the HOA should foot the bill for the fences along the common roads: 1. It's in the Bylaws 2. For esthetic value of the community 3. The folks that live on the major roads have an increased chance of damage to their fence due to accidents, tagging, etc. They should have some support from the community/HOA to repair/replace as quickly as possible since they have no control over these issues and first impressions are key to maintaining value.

Have you noticed how horrible the fences look on Military? The consistency in wear and tear, staining and quality are so varied...quite frankly, its embarrassing. Notice the fences along Westcreek View, they are much more consistent and appealing. I understand they are much newer, but this is the standard that the rest of the fences should be held to...and the HOA should keep their end of the bargain as stated in their Bylaws. I don't understand how the HOA can arbitrarily enforce some of the Bylaws and ignore others. Can someone shed some light on that?

Old 10-12-2009, 11:09 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,680,302 times
Quote:
This afternoon I saw two fences on Military Drive that have been repaired and there is no top rail. Has anyone seen these fences and if so do you know what the status is, as far as the HOA accepting them?.
Personally, I like the fences without a top rail as the rails tend to warp and that looks ugly. With that said, it does contrast due to uniformity issues.

Old 10-13-2009, 02:46 AM

36 posts, read 55,515 times
Quote:
The complaint /concern about assessments paying for the Common Fences is widely spoken and I have heard it since we moved in almost 10 years ago. We do not have a Common Fence and it never bothered us that our assessments were paying for half of the maintenance. In my opinion there are several issues with the change. Why has the HOA put the responsibility upon the homeowner's after all these years? I would rather have the HOA foot half the bill and be assured the fences will be maintained instead of depending soley upon the homeownwer. With the exception of the Clock Tower the fences have a lot to do with first impressions of the entire community. All we have to do is look at the fences along Military and Westcreek Oaks that have not been touched since this new maintenance practice / responsibility began. There is no idea when they will be repaired and more than likely it will become a legal issue with the HOA and that homeowner. I do feel that the HOA could have prevented a lot of the damages to the fences if planting setbacks had been enforced upon.

As I have said in the past our Family rarely if ever use the ammenities. I have never obtained an ID Card which of course is of my own choosing. I don't mind that my assessments are paying for the others to enjoy the Sports Park, Pools, Annual Picnic ,etc.

When its all said and done it's the appearance of the neighborhood that will either sell our homes or allow them to sit and in turn affect everyone's property values.
Totally concur Wellguy!

Old 10-13-2009, 04:32 AM

872 posts, read 1,858,047 times
Another reason for consideration of the HOA bearing responsibility (beside the "legal" issue of the Bylaws) is that these particular fences are 7' vice 6' tall...I believe that means purchasing an 8' board which costs more. Plus, these fences have the brick columns in them which is something that the other fences don't have...who would be responsible for fixing those brick columns when damaged? I would think the HOA based on the Bylaws. Phase in replacing the current fences with composite fences and everyone would be better off in the long run.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:25 AM

41 posts, read 58,312 times
I hear what you all are saying. Yes it adds to the aesthetics of the neighborhood. Like I said before, maintenance has a much different meaning than replacement. See previous post. The BOD about 7 years ago made a mistake, in my opinion and paid for half of the fence replacement. This was, I have been told a one time offering that has confused alot of us homeowners to this day. It had never been done before and in my opinion should not be done again.

As for the enforcement of the upkeep. Are you saying that you want folks to come into your backyard and inspect the fences on both sides. Tell you what you can and can not plany against it and how close you can plant to the fence. IUf the Ass gets into this business it brings about a whole lot more inspection and changes by the HOs. I do not think that we want that. The policy has been that the inspectors will not go into your backyard. They can look over the fences or down into your backyard from your neighbors upstairs window, but never in your backyard. Walk down Military and look at all the shrubs and plants that would be required to be cut if the Ass. were to enforce the "maintence responsibility" of the HOs. It would be substancial.

In a perfect world, we would all abide by the CC&Rs and have repsonsibility for the maintenance of the fences, ensuring proper care was given to ensuring the fences last as long as possible. Unfortunately that is not the world we live in.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:09 AM

872 posts, read 1,858,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC2006 View Post
I hear what you all are saying. Yes it adds to the aesthetics of the neighborhood. Like I said before, maintenance has a much different meaning than replacement. See previous post. The BOD about 7 years ago made a mistake, in my opinion and paid for half of the fence replacement. This was, I have been told a one time offering that has confused alot of us homeowners to this day. It had never been done before and in my opinion should not be done again.

As for the enforcement of the upkeep. Are you saying that you want folks to come into your backyard and inspect the fences on both sides. Tell you what you can and can not plany against it and how close you can plant to the fence. IUf the Ass gets into this business it brings about a whole lot more inspection and changes by the HOs. I do not think that we want that. The policy has been that the inspectors will not go into your backyard. They can look over the fences or down into your backyard from your neighbors upstairs window, but never in your backyard. Walk down Military and look at all the shrubs and plants that would be required to be cut if the Ass. were to enforce the "maintence responsibility" of the HOs. It would be substancial.

In a perfect world, we would all abide by the CC&Rs and have repsonsibility for the maintenance of the fences, ensuring proper care was given to ensuring the fences last as long as possible. Unfortunately that is not the world we live in.
So, did the HOA do thier maintenance by trimming limbs on the street side, did they keep the fences stained to maintain the integrity of the boards, did they ensure nails/screws were in to hold up the boards? That sounds like the kind of maintenance that you are talking about and I don't think the HOA has done any of that. Have to say that I disagree with your interpretation though. Either way, the CC&Rs are a legal document that can't be changed without 75% of the homeowners agreeing on the change. BTW, I do not have one of these fences on my property.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:38 PM

186 posts, read 345,645 times
A friend of mine sent this to me..interesting reading.

http://westcreekloveitorleaveit.blog.com/

Old 10-13-2009, 04:58 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,845,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WC2006 View Post

Good Afternoon,

I hate the idea the the HOA has the right to look into anyone's backyard. Although we don't sunbathe in the nude we do hang our clothes on the tree branches to save money on our CPS bill.

I wouldn't think they would ever have to consider looking into backyards when it comes to the fences if there was education on their part. I sure many of us have planted something to close to a house, driveway, fence without thinking into the future. I have. The simple remedy to the problem would have been to enforce planting setbacks. There are already setbacks for a Storage Sheds along fence lines and planting setbacks in our front yards.

The HOA had a vested interest in the fences and surely they could have spotted a potential problem, talked to the homeowners and corrected it.Their negligence contributed to the quick demise of the Common Fences. If one of my neighbors ever planted something to close to a fence that we both own I would have no problem speaking to him / her about the possiblity of damage. I would expect the same in return.

That's all water under the Military Drive Bridge due to the change in the fence responsibility.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:06 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,845,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus01 View Post

I could have done without reading all that junk. I really liked the part about washing the windshield with a used diaper. I bet!

I hate when I read "I saw this or see that" as this individual said about the trash on the streets and oil spots from cars. Has he or she ever called the proper Regulatory Agency? Probably not. No I'm sure they haven't ,but they will continue to gripe.

I can't say anymore about that blog since I need to repair our electric fence to keep our dog in the backyard. If I get too worked up I'll get myself electrocuted.

Before I go I'm contacting the BOD first thing in the morning. I now want them to require that all potential residents be screened to insure that are not from Californina (Like I am), New York, or any other State that tends to breed troublemakers.

Last edited by wellguy; 10-13-2009 at 05:31 PM..

Old 10-13-2009, 05:21 PM

41 posts, read 58,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerberus01 View Post

Wow I think LC is really upset. Could she have possibly been lurking on this blog? Surely not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio