Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2010, 11:24 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,680,985 times

Advertisements

In the President's Corner of the latest Westcreek Newsletter (Jan-Feb 2010) it is mentioned that the cost of the 25 acre purchase and development of a second pool and clubhouse went from $750,000 to about $1,500,000. This is the first time I heard about this. Does anyone know how much longer the HOA will be paying on this loan? I think the 2010 budget had around $160,000 dedicated to this loan. When paid off, that would be a nice amount to use to spruce up Westcreek areas and/or develop the remaining 23+ undeveloped acres.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:22 PM

872 posts, read 1,858,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
Your correct that $4.00 will not break the bank. Again there is no problem with assessments going up but not 10% each year. I feel and please all of you correct me if I'm wrong but that will end up forcing folks out of here.

OK -I'm tired, just got home form work trying to get some last minute paperwork completed so I may be a little rusty.

If the current dues are $284.00 and they are raised 10% thats' $312.40 next year and with 10% /yearly thereafter we are now paying $343.64, $378.00, $415.80, $457.37. HOLY COW I'll be paying $1000.00 / year when I'm 65. Thank God I'll get a tax exemption at 65. There is no telling how much my taxes will be since there is no doubt we will be inside the City Limits.

Let's look at it this way. In 3-4 years (that may be an over estimation) our Son will have moved out. That will leave my Wife and I and a dog if I'm lucky (my Wife is not too fond of dogs, but as of now I'm winning that one) What will the two of us get for our $450.00 /month. We will get no more than we are getting right now and as I said previously it's not to darn much. Paying higher assessments surely won't be an incentive for me to take up tennis again. I can wheel and deal with the best of them so I may not think it's such a bad idea if the HOA will mow our yard once per week (I'll set the sprinkler), Wash two cars twice a month (I'll still be driving a Pickup but the HOA will be able to afford the extra Car Shampoo), maybe paint our home every 8 -10 years (No Builder's Grade Paint can be used). Now I need to talk to my Wife since we may have to negotiate some dusting and cleaning of the bathrooms (we only have two) into this equation.

I know we are only speaking hypothetically but no one in their right mind would ever accept that proposal.

Concerning another matter and I ask because I honestly don't know. With the exception of Summer Help at the Pool or any other Seasonal Positions how many Employees do we employ?
Still haven't seen any paperwork that legally shows how the dues got from $228 to $257. Seems that this legal issue needs to be cleared up for there to be ANY raises...in fact, seems that anything over $228 that has been paid needs to be refunded in order to be in line with the CC&R/Bylaws of the HOA.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:53 PM

1,671 posts, read 3,845,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
Still haven't seen any paperwork that legally shows how the dues got from $228 to $257. Seems that this legal issue needs to be cleared up for there to be ANY raises...in fact, seems that anything over $228 that has been paid needs to be refunded in order to be in line with the CC&R/Bylaws of the HOA.
What do you think about HOA Watcher's comment about he /she not seeing any problem with the BOD raising dues 10% per year?

I guess no one thinks about the folks out here that are a fixed income (I'm not, but I sure do). If operating the HOA increases 10% per year then I'm in the wrong business. But then again I'm not in to "Racket's". I'm still curious to find out the number of Employees we have excluding the seasonal ones. I will crap if we have more folks on the payroll than a much larger HOA such as the Great Northwest.

There's a BOD Meeting this week. Do you plan upon going?(Sure as Hell hope that it's not another closed meeting) I do if nothing runs late. I work with a lot of Contractor's and you never know about those guys. I'll just request that they start earlier in the morning.

Old 01-16-2010, 05:47 PM

872 posts, read 1,858,189 times
Quote:
What do you think about HOA Watcher's comment about he /she not seeing any problem with the BOD raising dues 10% per year?
Let's go ahead and raise the gas tax by 10% so we can build more roads since the money seems to go elsewhere.

Let's raise the property tax by 10% so we can build even fancier schools.

Let's raise the price of cable by 10% so we can get more channels than no one watches.

Let's raise the sales tax by 10% so we can let the local government spend more of our money as they see fit.

Let's raise the price of food at HEB by 10%...

Let's raise the price of ... by 10% ....

Where does it stop? It's only $4 here and $20 there and....

Last I checked, there was no cost of living raise this year for millions of people because prices overall are down. Why then does our HOA feel a need to raise its prices? This is the type of thing that results in citizens not having a say in how their own money is spent which results in people cutting back which has a negative effect on businesses of all types which has a negative effect on employment....

Like I stated the other day, if "you" have a project that you want to see the HOA undertake then feel free to DONATE as much money as you desire but don't force people to pay a TAX to fund your project. THIS CRAP IS SLOWLY KILLING OUR ENTIRE NATION!

Old 01-16-2010, 07:37 PM

Well said wc2005- As you remember the pay raises were needed to "retain" the most qualified individuals. I'm given a pay raise because I earned it. I'm well qualified but I'm sure as hell replaceable.

Hell the BOD is not NBC trying to lure Conan O'Brien.

Your correct in saying there a millions of American's who will not get a Cost of Living Raise this year.

I'll sit back this year and accept the increase but we damn well better see something for it.(Lord knows I'm dreaming) Do you think we will see more productivity? Hell No! I still won't see better landscaping to "spiff" this place up. But I will sure as hell see our Landscaping Company getting $60,000 this year to mow weeds.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:04 PM

23 posts, read 27,733 times
Quote:
Well said wc2005- As you remember the pay raises were needed to "retain" the most qualified individuals. I'm given a pay raise because I earned it. I'm well qualified but I'm sure as hell replaceable.

Hell the BOD is not NBC trying to lure Conan O'Brien.

Your correct in saying there a millions of American's who will not get a Cost of Living Raise this year.

I'll sit back this year and accept the increase but we damn well better see something for it.(Lord knows I'm dreaming) Do you think we will see more productivity? Hell No! I still won't see better landscaping to "spiff" this place up. But I will sure as hell see our Landscaping Company getting $60,000 this year to mow weeds.
Wellguy & WC2005, why don't you two come up with a budget that will save all our money and post it here. Let us see your well managed numbers and if it works then I'll vote for it? I think you two are missing my point, I don't want to pay extra taxes for anything. People are not going to work for free at the HOA and if the BOD is doing something against the law then let's get the votes to replace them. It seems to me that you two are just stroking each others ego. The BOD has not raised the assessments every year and I don't think they will in the future. However sometimes things need to be paid for and thus they get raised. Like I stated before assessments are part of the deal and the meeting are how we influence the process. Let's pull together and get this fixed for what is best for all of us....

Old 01-16-2010, 11:17 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,834,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOA Watcher View Post
Wellguy & WC2005, why don't you two come up with a budget that will save all our money and post it here. Let us see your well managed numbers and if it works then I'll vote for it? I think you two are missing my point, I don't want to pay extra taxes for anything. People are not going to work for free at the HOA and if the BOD is doing something against the law then let's get the votes to replace them. It seems to me that you two are just stroking each others ego. The BOD has not raised the assessments every year and I don't think they will in the future. However sometimes things need to be paid for and thus they get raised. Like I stated before assessments are part of the deal and the meeting are how we influence the process. Let's pull together and get this fixed for what is best for all of us....
Here's one "budget" that was posted in July.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/9787537-post1291.html

Old 01-17-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
As I have stated before no one here is against paying assessments. I knew that 10 years ago prior to moving in. The problem is is what is being done to properly spend the money. I can only make suggestions to the BOD and HOA Staff as others have, there's no doubt here.

Have you ever heard the term ''Falling Upon Deaf Ears" If that doen't sum it up then the Sun's not going to rise in the morning.

firstclassflyer- Thanks for posting.

Old 01-17-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
I re read your post and I want you to know I'm not stroking anything, especially my Ego. That's not something that comes into play with me at all. If you read my posts you will see that I don't think I'm Superior to anyone. I have made the comments before that I think about others before myself.

I sincerely feel that wc2005 doesn't have an Ego problem either.

Just calling it like we see it. It is what it is and it aint all that good. Or is it ????

Old 01-17-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
It isn't perfect but, here is a quick look at the budget and some suggested cuts...

[SIZE=3]Line:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8126.02 delete $4,000 (let the standards coordinators deliver newsletter vice mailing it)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8127.02 delete $4,000 (drop all the pretty color printing but still get the info out)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8128 delete $168,000 (after one-time payoff of Community Center; estimated interest savings of $50,000 annually)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8131.03 delete $5,000 (what in the world are we paying for at $7K a year in phones?)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8140.06 delete $8,000 (too many employees, probably could cut more than $8K in taxes)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8212.02 delete $32,000 (one admin assistant should be plenty with the work load)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8212.03 delete $8,800 (why do you need an assistant Standards Coordinator? The manager or assistant manager should be able to cover absences.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8220.02 delete $3,000 (most, if not all training should be available locally)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8220.06 delete $1,000 (unneeded training is provided to employees that don’t require it)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8220.13 delete $500 (signs are unattractive and against SA guidelines – even for WC)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8220.15 delete $1,200 (plenty of full time employees to cover this action)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8221, 8221.01, 8221.02 delete $20,500 (Standards Monitors already covered; Maintenance covered in a later line in the budget)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8230.01 delete $2,400 (needs to be defined)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8230.05 delete $4,700 (Bexar County owns the roads and does this as needed)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8230.08 delete $1,000 (employees should cover this as they are monitoring parties)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8230.09 delete $12,000 (employees can clean the office once a week)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8320.09 delete $35,000 (still leaves $13,000 for cleaning of major street fences; these are no longer to be replaced by HOA)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8320.10 delete $1,000 (How is this different from maintenance? County or CPS owns the electrical easements)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8320.16 (pay it off and delete it; stop paying interest)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8411.02 delete $39,520 (The HOA is not a recreation department. One coordinator should be able to set up events without residents funding a YMCA.)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8420.01 delete $3,000 (allowed events listed below in budget)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8420.04 delete $1,000 (residents shouldn’t have to pay since they are restricted from having sales at their homes by the HOA)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8420.06 delete $2,000 (allowed events listed in other budget lines)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8420.08, .09, .10, .12, .13, .16, .17 delete $1,800 (participants should pay their own way, not the HOA)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]8430 delete $2,500 (covered in 8230.06)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Total to delete from budget: $360,920[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Budget cut by 30%[/SIZE]
Damn, I forgot how well you suggested all these cuts!
Your not Running for Office are you? If so youv'e got my vote.

I better watch I say or I'll be accused of stroking your Ego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio