Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 09:24 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,844,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE COMMON MAN View Post
Give me a break, when they hire an attorney to sit in on a BOD meeting (which nobody recalls other Boards doing) indicates that they have something to hide. When they hire a law enforcement officer to be present at the BOD meetings (which nobody recalls other Boards doing) indicates that they have something to fear.

I was surprised that the President of the Board, did away with the ongoing practice of allowing homeowners to relinquish their 3 minute speaking time to the one of the other homeowners and then later reverse the rule to allow a "former Board Member" all the time he needed to speak. This confirmed the suspicions of the homeowners in attendance that they were intent on squashing the voices of those who have views that differ from theirs. This is not the action of a democratic society.

I think the homeowners who the Board likes to refer to as "disgruntled" have every right to be upset. I for one did not find them as 'disgruntled'. In fact, after talking with a number of folks at the meeting they seemed genuinely concerned about making Westcreek the ideal community to live in. My hat off to all those who had the courage to stand up and let their voices be heard.

I overheard one BOD member complain that homeowners have never taken an interest in their community and now that they (from what I understand) have record numbers showing up at their monthly meetings they are determined to silence their voices. It will be interesting what tactics they will resort to at the next meeting. I for one plan on being at the next and future meetings and will encourage my neighbors to join me. This meeting was definitely an eye opener for me.
Nicely Said and I agree with you totally. They (BOD) are seeing an increse of more folks because many are PISSED. That was obvious Monday night, The Town Hall Meeting, and the previous Monthly Meeting.

Let's face it, in life you only tolerate so much and then, well the past Meetings have spoke for themselves. I have no doubt that over the years folks have voiced there opinions /suggestions etc. and they saw no action leaving them with the feeling that they were ignored. If the BOD cannot do something then they need to "Cowboy Up", tell us why, and then I think, we can all keep on riding. In the ten years that we have been here I have and I'll admit that I took the wrong approach and more than likely ignored. (I have changed my approach). It's the same at our meetings. If the approach that we take, calm, have our facts straight, and have tact I feel they will listen. One other thing we cannot yell at each other. The BOD acting upon issues is another story.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:20 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,427,962 times
I don't necessarily think that having an attorney present at the meetings indicates that they're hiding anything. I do think it is necessary on their part to have one present in light of all the legal pursuings going on, not just for their protection (and maybe to keep them from saying/not saying something when they should/shouldn't) but for the HO's and to also have someone that can legally interpret the law if need be.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:12 PM

56 posts, read 75,225 times
Default No Friend of the Homeowner

Oh I have to differ with you on this point. The HOA Attorney is not a friend of the Homeowners. As the Board has stated on a number of times, the attorney represents the Board.

If they plan on bringing him to every BOD Meeting from now on then they need to prepare to budget at least an additional $12,000 per year assumming the meetings last at least 4 hours a month.

Last edited by THE COMMON MAN; 10-24-2009 at 05:31 PM..

Old 10-24-2009, 05:44 PM

88 posts, read 169,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
I don't necessarily think that having an attorney present at the meetings indicates that they're hiding anything. I do think it is necessary on their part to have one present in light of all the legal pursuings going on, not just for their protection (and maybe to keep them from saying/not saying something when they should/shouldn't) but for the HO's and to also have someone that can legally interpret the law if need be.
Well, there were questions raised and directed to the junior attorney, but he was unable to answer because he did not have the answer. And we are paying him how much...and why??? What a waste!

Old 10-24-2009, 08:21 PM

173 posts, read 617,916 times
When's the next meeting?

Old 10-24-2009, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAnative View Post
When's the next meeting?
I just visited the VOWC webpage and there is not a date indicated for November's meeting.

Old 10-25-2009, 07:21 AM

872 posts, read 1,857,457 times
I have heard either. Gotta say though that I can't blame the BOD for not allowing someone to pass their minutes on to someone else...as long as that is true for every speaker. The point of a time limit is to prevent people from rambling on endlessly. There isn't a pool of minutes that must be used.

Old 10-25-2009, 09:16 AM

56 posts, read 75,225 times
Got a real concern here folks. I copied this paragraph from the by-laws:

7.07 Regular Meetings. Regular meetings of the Board of Directors may be held at such time and place as shall be determined, from time to time, by a majority of the Directors but at least one such meeting shall be held during each calendar quarter. Notice of regular meetings of the Board of Directors shall be given to each Director, personally or by mail, telephone, telegraph, or facsimile, etc., at least five (5) days prior to the day named forsuch meeting.

The By-laws does not address any of the following points:

1. That the BOD meetings have to be held monthly
2. That the BOD meetings have to be open to homeowners
3. That homeowners have to be afforded time to speak at the BOD meetings

This is scarey stuff if they want to play hardball with the homeowers. I would not be surprised to see them start enforcining these unwritten rules simply because they evidently have the power to do so.

Maybe one place we should start looking at making changes is right here in the By-laws. They really need to be updated to reflect the times of the day.

With elections coming up in April, this Board could flood the community with violation notices, place leins on homes just to disqualify homeowners from voting. If this isn't power ... then what is?

Old 10-25-2009, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc2005 View Post
I have heard either. Gotta say though that I can't blame the BOD for not allowing someone to pass their minutes on to someone else...as long as that is true for every speaker. The point of a time limit is to prevent people from rambling on endlessly. There isn't a pool of minutes that must be used.
I know that the BOD Meetings are during the week on a school /work night and we all have families that we would rather be with. I find it odd that one could speak for 10 minutes at the Town Hall Meeting and only 3 at the BOD Meetings. I myself don't mind (and I work, having to leave the house by 7 to be a little N of Downtown by 8) if the meetings run late just to allow folks the opprtunity to speak. The BOD Meetings are the most important of the two. Not everyone will speak. I don't know about you all but I sometimes can give so much detail that it would take longer than 3 minutes to make my point.

I would still like to see the crowds that we have had and not have them dwindle down. This is the time to get a "feel" for those who may want to run for the BOD next time around. Yes we will see their Bio's in the Newsletter and they will speak at the Annual Meeting a little before the vote. We are in dire need of folks that have the best interests of the VOWC in mind and at heart. I'll be honest with you all I need a little more than a Bio and a short speech in order to make a decision.

*Please don't forget about the VOWC Trash Day on Nov. 7th starting at 9:00am . I hope neighbors take advantage of this since our garbage companies don't pick up certain items and if there is a good turn out we will surely have more. The Private and City Landfills are very expensive. Our own garbage companies will make a special pickup like the one we had a while back. That was for a BasketBall Goal -that I ran over and cracked the plastic base. Anyway Tiger's fee for that one item was $35.00, which we gladly spent since it was less than Covel Garden's disposal fee (the nearest Landfill to Westcreek). I'm sure some of you will have fence boards, tree limbs, etc. that need to be disposed of. Maybe you have an elderly neighbor that has no way to transport their items to the Sports Park. I know they would appreciate any help.

Last edited by wellguy; 10-25-2009 at 11:16 AM..

Old 10-25-2009, 12:20 PM

872 posts, read 1,857,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE COMMON MAN View Post
Got a real concern here folks. I copied this paragraph from the by-laws:

7.07 Regular Meetings. Regular meetings of the Board of Directors may be held at such time and place as shall be determined, from time to time, by a majority of the Directors but at least one such meeting shall be held during each calendar quarter. Notice of regular meetings of the Board of Directors shall be given to each Director, personally or by mail, telephone, telegraph, or facsimile, etc., at least five (5) days prior to the day named forsuch meeting.

The By-laws does not address any of the following points:

1. That the BOD meetings have to be held monthly
2. That the BOD meetings have to be open to homeowners
3. That homeowners have to be afforded time to speak at the BOD meetings

This is scarey stuff if they want to play hardball with the homeowers. I would not be surprised to see them start enforcining these unwritten rules simply because they evidently have the power to do so.

Maybe one place we should start looking at making changes is right here in the By-laws. They really need to be updated to reflect the times of the day.

With elections coming up in April, this Board could flood the community with violation notices, place leins on homes just to disqualify homeowners from voting. If this isn't power ... then what is?
Can't place a lein if you've paid your assessments. Again, there is no fine system built into our documents...thank goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio