Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 12:59 PM

3,060 posts, read 7,429,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
WOOO-WOOO! Looks like DH and I will be rounding up a bunch of 3-5 yr olds come 8 March for Easter Eggs! Just talked to them at the park (not Ken, but she was going to pass our info to him) and sounds like fun....been a while since we have done the Easter egg thingee! LOL

Thanks for letting us know of the need...would have never known if you had not posted it!
We do have a full time rec director now, but some of the events are still put on by the sports park committee.

If you know of anyone else willing to volunteer, please pass the word! It would be sad to have the event cancelled - there were sooo many kids out last time!! Last year it was rained out, so to have it cancelled twice in row will be very unfortunate....

Old 02-26-2008, 01:02 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,472,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
We do have a full time rec director now, but some of the events are still put on by the sports park committee.

If you know of anyone else willing to volunteer, please pass the word! It would be sad to have the event cancelled - there were sooo many kids out last time!! Last year it was rained out, so to have it cancelled twice in row will be very unfortunate....
I'll see what I can find in the way of additional volunteers....sad that the PARENTS of these kiddos are not stepping up to the plate, but maybe they are unaware as well.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
I'll see what I can find in the way of additional volunteers....sad that the PARENTS of these kiddos are not stepping up to the plate, but maybe they are unaware as well.
Very true. But we've been very adamant in trying to get the word out, via all the functions, emails, newsletter, etc etc. Sandy the rec director has been awesome, you should definitely stop by and sign up for her rec emails to stay connected. There are a lot of good events going on!

Ken says that he needs to have volunteers signed up by 9 am THIS FRIDAY. They plan on stuffing eggs next Monday, but they won't if they don't have enough volunteers. SO PLEASE EVERYONE IF YOU'RE INTERESTED AND WANT TO HELP, YOUR NEIGHBORHOOD NEEDS YOU!

Old 02-26-2008, 06:23 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,562,707 times
Can we be "honorary" member of WOA? I mean, we're just across the street. We'd be happy to pay the HOA fees, and you can bet we'd be volunteering for this stuff! I don't think some folks realize how lucky they are to have an active HOA. They could come across the street where the pool gets filled in with dirt because the HOA is "voluntary" and so there's not enough funds to maintain it. And there's no clubhouse, playground, sport fields, etc. <sigh> (Why didn't we listen to that Realtor?)

Old 02-26-2008, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules07 View Post
Can we be "honorary" member of WOA? I mean, we're just across the street. We'd be happy to pay the HOA fees, and you can bet we'd be volunteering for this stuff! I don't think some folks realize how lucky they are to have an active HOA. They could come across the street where the pool gets filled in with dirt because the HOA is "voluntary" and so there's not enough funds to maintain it. And there's no clubhouse, playground, sport fields, etc. <sigh> (Why didn't we listen to that Realtor?)
Hey Jules, our house is on the market...

Are you across 1604, where the old pool was filled in with dirt? I was wondering what the story was about that.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:51 PM

3,468 posts, read 8,562,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
Hey Jules, our house is on the market...

Are you across 1604, where the old pool was filled in with dirt? I was wondering what the story was about that.
Yep, we're in the "old" "Estates" section of Oak Creek (north of Military ~ the one with the larger lots and older houses). Our HOA is "voluntary", meaning it's voluntary to belong to it and pay into it, but you still have to abide by the rules (tho I use that phrase lightly!!). Since hardly anyone wanted to pay into it and the dues were under $50 a year until recently, there wasn't enough money to maintain the pool. Add into that the fact that we had a large (and expensive to remedy) Oak Wilt outbreak just a couple of years ago, and it's no wonder we have no neighborhood amenities. Now with all the growth in the area, I just don't see the old pool and tennis courts ever being fixed. Which is fine if that's what someone wants, but everyday when we drive past the two pools and community center/sports fields/playgrounds in WC, I just think, "ah, if only". Somehow, tho, I don't see us moving anytime soon. (Partly because it would have to be a pretty darned big house {min 3500sqft} and a horrendously cheap price for me to want to go thru that hassle again. )

Old 02-26-2008, 10:22 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,418,629 times
this should be a good place for me to vent about the VOWHOA.. I had a little love note on my door the other day about needing to cut my grass.... I like having a HOA that cares about looks, but some of the people that go around are either brand new to Texas or know absolutely nothing about landscaping. Now is definitely not the time to cut grass. My lawn is just starting to green up after its winter nap and the shock of being cut would probably kill it. Plus it isn't even long enough to cut! It's St. Augustine, which needs to be high and cutting it too short will kill it.
I was going to complain to the office, but I figured if they sided with the person that left me the note, I'd probably lose it on them in the office and that wouldn't be a good thing... This is like when we first moved in (to the brand new at the time Estates) and they put a note on everyones door saying they needed approval for the kidney bed the builder installed on their lawn. Surely they must've noticed that every freaking house on the street had the exact same kidney bed and it was also listed as a standard amenity in the brochure.

So anyhow, rant off. I just needed to get that off my chest and maybe it'll make it to the right person..

Old 02-26-2008, 10:46 PM

1,287 posts, read 3,823,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
So anyhow, rant off. I just needed to get that off my chest and maybe it'll make it to the right person..
I think it would be difficult to deal with considering if you got a note there were others that suffered the same ignorance, kind of difficult to determine which is yours.

I don't think any of the HOA movers and shakers are on this forum anyway.

You might be best writing them a letter.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:07 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,418,629 times
Maybe I'll swing by there after I wake up on Friday afternoon. I'm usually pretty mellow around then. and ignorance was a good choice of words for that person..

Old 02-27-2008, 07:02 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,834,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
this should be a good place for me to vent about the VOWHOA.. I had a little love note on my door the other day about needing to cut my grass.... I like having a HOA that cares about looks, but some of the people that go around are either brand new to Texas or know absolutely nothing about landscaping. Now is definitely not the time to cut grass. My lawn is just starting to green up after its winter nap and the shock of being cut would probably kill it. Plus it isn't even long enough to cut! It's St. Augustine, which needs to be high and cutting it too short will kill it.
I was going to complain to the office, but I figured if they sided with the person that left me the note, I'd probably lose it on them in the office and that wouldn't be a good thing... This is like when we first moved in (to the brand new at the time Estates) and they put a note on everyones door saying they needed approval for the kidney bed the builder installed on their lawn. Surely they must've noticed that every freaking house on the street had the exact same kidney bed and it was also listed as a standard amenity in the brochure.

Reminds me of something I did a while ago. One of our neighbors was letting his lawn go uncut for longer and longer periods of time. It kept getting worse..to the point where it was an eyesore.
I sent my landscapers over to his house one day (they weren't home) with instructions to "cut only half of his front lawn, leave the other half uncut"....guess he got the hint....no problem with him ever since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio