Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 08:59 PM

18,230 posts, read 25,526,374 times

Advertisements

This is the reality....
I grew up in a different country where nobody ever talks about "race" in the news.
After many years, I've noticed that the media in the US LOVES "race controversy" because it gets everybody "up in arms".
That's why anytime something like this comes up, the media talks for days about the hand full of people that are mad.

Don't believe me?
Why wasn't there a controversy when Voelcker Park was renamed Hardberger park 2 years ago???
Voelcker Park renaming gets standing ovation for Hardberger | kens5.com San Antonio

Hardberger says renaming the park was especially meaningful to him. He said San Antonio must do what it can to preserve nature.
In 2006, then-mayor Hardberger convinced the council to spend $48 million to buy the Voelckers' land trust to keep the property safe from developers and to turn it into a regional park.

Another example,
Domonique Ramirez being dethroned
why did it become national news??? Because the media thought it was another "race controversy" when in fact it wasn't.

‪Kelly's Court: Beauty Queen Sues Pageant for Stripping Her Crown Over Fallacies‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-06-2011, 10:57 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,779,481 times
Because Durango had history. It's like renaming Broadway street in New York to Appleton Avenue.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:17 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,766,661 times
Just saw on channel 12 that they are changing the street signs tonight under the cloak of darkness!!!

Old 08-30-2011, 09:49 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,291,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
Just saw on channel 12 that they are changing the street signs tonight under the cloak of darkness!!!
I didn't realize they hadn't changed all of them. I was downtown a couple of weeks ago and saw signs with the new name at a couple of intersections.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:06 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,603,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGJ View Post
The signs downtown have been changed for awhile now (weeks?). There's even a sign that says "formerly named Durango St) at 37/Durango....

But yeah, it seemed to happen overnight under cloak of darkness. Now it's too expensive to change them back.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:09 PM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,766,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
The signs downtown have been changed for awhile now (weeks?). There's even a sign that says "formerly named Durango St) at 37/Durango....

But yeah, it seemed to happen overnight under cloak of darkness. Now it's too expensive to change them back.
guess i wasn't paying attention when I went downtown

Old 09-01-2011, 06:22 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,084,696 times
I saw the sign for the new name today as I came from Presa to it. I still call it Durango. I think of how much it cost the city to rename a street when they could have been spending money for something important...just irritating!

Old 09-01-2011, 09:04 PM

4,070 posts, read 5,683,423 times
I just get irritated that they take historic streets, that everybody knows the name for, that many local people have used the original name all their life (and maybe their parents and grandparents, etc.)...and then presto change-0, try to erase the old name and use the street for some vague political purpose. It's not right. The people of the San Antonio should have the right to okay it or not. It's Durango Blvd. Always will be.

Old 09-02-2011, 03:02 PM

399 posts, read 1,143,781 times
Thanks to the renaming of this street I missed my exit downtown today. Thanks to whoever had this great idea I'm sure we're losing money to many tourists who can't find Durango off 281. How much $ is this change costing the taxpayers? We may never know.

Old 09-14-2011, 01:28 PM

4 posts, read 11,007 times
Angry Time to move away from San Antonio

Quote:
Originally Posted by huckster View Post
A simple name change to an hispanic surname provokes such outrage.
I believe this is humorous,very very humorous. How dare they do such an outrageous thing ? I am amused. Tsk.,Tsk.,Tsk. I now demand a Cesar Chavez National Holiday.
S.A. is a heavily latin influenced city obviously right , like Miami is. Some have called this name change a political power play. This sort of bickering and backbiting is always in play here in S.A. I just thought well...O.K. into the fracas. I mean this sort of favoritism has never happened among other ethnicities ,right? Whose is the dominant side ?
Other ethnic groups have already recieved their just do proportionately.
Spaniard ? Your jealous too ? What do you want, Franco Blvd? I think this the most petty post. Lets' just bring the British side in to represent the American roots, we can't let them go around unclothed and underrepresented. Prince Charles Blvd ? Nah, they have Churchhill High.
Time to leave San Antonio - Why is it People from Mexico move here and then push their ways on us all....Why did they leave Mexico in the first place? Because it was so trashy and dirty. Now San Antonio is turning out the same way....San Antonio has lost it's charm. Now if Mexicans want San Antonio to make changes then clean up your own act first and make this city something to be worthy of. You will notice Mexicans will move to a very nice neighborhood because of it beauty. Then as the years go on the beauty is gone...Chain link fences go up in the front yards and the beauty is gone...They then move again because of what it has become and start the whole cycle over again........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio