Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 09:38 AM
RGJ

1,903 posts, read 4,766,661 times

Advertisements

I wonder why some of those businesses that are located on Durango that are going to spend thousands of dollars on this change don't form a coalition and file another suit against the city. There is only one reason they are doing this and there are many reasons not to do this.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:10 AM

361 posts, read 929,310 times
Cesar Chavez was an illegal alien who worked for the "right" of illegal aliens to wipe their *sses with another nation's sovereignty and laws to come and go as they please.

And not once did he fight for it to be a two-way street for people to be abile to illegally go into Mexico as they please. No one ever questions Mexico's harsh border laws and everyone only picks on American border laws even though they're nowhere near as bad as Mexico's laws. What Chavez did in America would be responded with violence and imprisonment if an American were to do that in Mexico. The hypocricy stinks.

And his family want ever major city in America to have a street named after him. WHY???

Seriously I want it answered for why they want Americans to waste American taxpayer dollars on having his name on a street in every city in the US. If they can constantly STEAL taxpayer money for this in city to city and state to state then they owe us an explanation for this greed since there already so many Cesar Chavez streets out there.

Old 07-21-2011, 11:43 AM

580 posts, read 1,435,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock's Beard View Post
Cesar Chavez was an illegal alien who worked for the "right" of illegal aliens to wipe their *sses with another nation's sovereignty and laws to come and go as they please.

And not once did he fight for it to be a two-way street for people to be abile to illegally go into Mexico as they please. No one ever questions Mexico's harsh border laws and everyone only picks on American border laws even though they're nowhere near as bad as Mexico's laws. What Chavez did in America would be responded with violence and imprisonment if an American were to do that in Mexico. The hypocricy stinks.

And his family want ever major city in America to have a street named after him. WHY???

Seriously I want it answered for why they want Americans to waste American taxpayer dollars on having his name on a street in every city in the US. If they can constantly STEAL taxpayer money for this in city to city and state to state then they owe us an explanation for this greed since there already so many Cesar Chavez streets out there.
Wow. Talk about a knee-jerk reaction. Chavez was a Navy veteran who was actually AGAINST illegal immigration because unscrupulous U.S. interests kept "importing" workers from down south and thus fought against organized movements for workers' rights HERE. Like him or hate him--just get your facts right!

Oh yeah--he was born in Arizona. And he's also the most well known Hispanic/Latino civil rights activist in this country's history, even though he fought mainly for farmworkers regardless of their race/ethnicity. (And we are the largest Latino-majority city in the country, whether or not you think it's important to show our pride in that fact through a couple of public acts honoring Chavez and others.)

Let's see: U.S. citizen . . . military veteran . . . struggled to create a better life for all of the country's agricultural workers . . . nominated for the Noble Peace Prize . . . given the top honor by the Catholic Church . . . recipient of the Presidential Medal of Honor . . . Not saying he was perfect, but . . .

I just hope you guys work hard to boot all of the politicans out of office who send money the way of "unnecessary" beautification projects (landscaping, etc.) and other non-necessities in these troubling times. Because, really, this is just a fiscal issue--isn't it? Nothing to do with him being Mexican-American?

Old 07-21-2011, 11:58 AM

161 posts, read 362,127 times
Not at all. I'd still be up in arms over it if they decided to rename it John White Smith Ave. Please don't inject race into the issue.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:15 PM

874 posts, read 2,905,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Also no one can speak for most tax payers because some of us did support this. It is total win for those who support diversity.
I "support" diversity (inasmuch as that is something that can be supported - not sure how one provides support for diversity exactly - I certainly do welcome/embrace/seek out diversity if that is the same thing); however, diversity actually involves a melding of many groups. It would be a total win for "those who support diversity" if there are street names changed to reflect ALL of the ethnic/cultural groups who make up San Antonio today and/or who impacted its past.

Diversity does not signify just Hispanic, which some folks seem to feel. For example, I teach in a school that is 99% Hispanic. That is certainly not diversity. When I used to be in school, there was a fairly equal mix of Caucasian, Hispanic, and African American (there were some Asian American students, but in reality that was a fairly small percentage). That is closer to actual diversity.

Yay Cesar Chavez for his accomplishments (the book Harvesting Hope is in heavy rotation in my classroom, usually beginning as a read-aloud because it is above the reading level of many of our fourth grade students even though it is a picture book), but a long-existing street does not need to be renamed for him. As other posters have mentioned (and as colleagues - I am one of the few non-Hispanic teachers at our school - as well as parents from my school have discussed with me... also my husband, who is Hispanic), there is no reason a new street could not be named after him. It could be a whole "Look at the progress shown by the creation of this beautiful street. We have named it after Cesar Chavez in hopes that we will continue to progress in the same way he taught so many years ago" kind of thing. And yes, it is about economics and general practicality rather than about "diversity" for anyone to whom I have spoken about it.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:54 PM

580 posts, read 1,435,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budjb View Post
Not at all. I'd still be up in arms over it if they decided to rename it John White Smith Ave. Please don't inject race into the issue.
Have you looked at any of the posts??? Race was brought in a long time ago.

If it wasn't about race for many people, way more of you would be complaining about spending $3.7 million on a new brush recycling facility on the south side so landscapers could dump their refuse for free--any time of the year.

I actually don't mind that project--but it's clearly not a "necessity" right now. And that's fine by me. But, if all of you were really so worried about an extra $100,000--purely for fiscal reasons--you'd be talking about other non-essentials and not Cesar Chavez.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:36 PM

161 posts, read 362,127 times
A brush recycling facility serves some purpose. Renaming a historical, established, and well known street where it could be done elsewhere, and for that much money, is indeed a waste.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:43 PM

6,707 posts, read 8,855,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuneOf48 View Post
Have you looked at any of the posts??? Race was brought in a long time ago.

If it wasn't about race for many people, way more of you would be complaining about spending $3.7 million on a new brush recycling facility on the south side so landscapers could dump their refuse for free--any time of the year.

I actually don't mind that project--but it's clearly not a "necessity" right now. And that's fine by me. But, if all of you were really so worried about an extra $100,000--purely for fiscal reasons--you'd be talking about other non-essentials and not Cesar Chavez.
It is just hard to see why it was so important to name Durange street to Cesar Chavez street.

My personal opinion is that Durango should have remained Durango.

Spending $100,000 for a street name change does NOTHING for the benefit of San Antonio right now. Name one good solid benefit this name change does regardless of who the street is named after??

Honestly, after reading about Cesar Chavez...it would be hard for me to imagine him wanting us to spend that much money for a street name change when we are in the middle of budget cuts in many other departments. That $100,000 could have kept two or three more teachers employed. No one would be hurt or affected if Durango street was left as is.

Old 07-21-2011, 03:06 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,639,861 times
Quote:
Wow. Talk about a knee-jerk reaction. Chavez was a Navy veteran who was actually AGAINST illegal immigration because unscrupulous U.S. interests kept "importing" workers from down south and thus fought against organized movements for workers' rights HERE. Like him or hate him--just get your facts right!
bolded bears repeating.

Quote:
Nothing to do with him being Mexican-American?
none at all. its about our local gov't pandering to special interest groups (that are bigoted) and wasting tax payer money on something that will not benefit san antonio at all, sans a bill for changing the name.

ps - dont forget the cost to all the businesses that will have to reprint business cards, edit telephone book listings, change their flyers, etc etc. i guess in an odd way, its stimulating the economy because those businesses are forced to spend money to change their addresses with their advertisers...

Old 07-21-2011, 03:10 PM

574 posts, read 1,344,988 times
Quote:

Oh yeah--he was born in Arizona. And he's also the most well known Hispanic/Latino civil rights activist in this country's history, even though he fought mainly for farmworkers regardless of their race/ethnicity. (And we are the largest Latino-majority city in the country, whether or not you think it's important to show our pride in that fact through a couple of public acts honoring Chavez and others.)

Let's see: U.S. citizen . . . military veteran . . . struggled to create a better life for all of the country's agricultural workers . . . nominated for the Noble Peace Prize . . . given the top honor by the Catholic Church . . . recipient of the Presidential Medal of Honor . . . Not saying he was perfect, but . . .

I just hope you guys work hard to boot all of the politicans out of office who send money the way of "unnecessary" beautification projects (landscaping, etc.) and other non-necessities in these troubling times. Because, really, this is just a fiscal issue--isn't it? Nothing to do with him being Mexican-American?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio