Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2011, 10:20 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,153,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heimerswt View Post
Interesting.... Google Maps already has it (or most of it) labeled as Cesar E Chavez Blvd.
Good call. You noticed this before the Express-News.

Despite court order, Google's already renamed Durango - San Antonio Express-News

Quote:
However, it's possible for there to be inaccuracies, as in this case in which the street name was mistakenly changed,” Yick wrote in an email.

<snip>

What's strange about the new moniker on Google is that it only covers a portion of Durango Boulevard — from South Flores Street to South Hackberry Street — rather than the entire 5.4-mile length of the street.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:55 AM

915 posts, read 1,906,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bresilhac View Post
About as much as Martin Luther King had to do with San Antonio, nothing. Yet there is a prominent eastside street named for him. That's ok, right? No one is complaining about that street's name. So why all the flak about changing a street named for a Mexican city? It doesn't make sense. And San Antonio doesn't have a farming heritage? That's ridiculous. Who do you think picks all the lettuce and broccoli that you get at your local HEB? Take a wild guess.

So is it so wrong to name a street after a labor leader who fought for Mexican immigrants rights in a city that is mostly Mexican-American? I don't think so. And who is this busybody judge that felt it necessary to stick his big nose into the situation? This judge should be concerned with bigger issues than this.
renaming streets with a significant history & footprint in the city should be for more than pandering. in this case, I would expect honoring someone with significant achievements and ties to San Antonio, regardless of their race, would be the only circumstances to warrant a change.

My lettuce and broccoli are picked in California, so I still don't see the farming connection to San Antonio. I buy a significant amount of Californian wines at HEB too. Does that give us a rich wine heritage?

I don't care if the city names a street for Chavez. That is not the issue. The issue is renaming a historic street in the center of town for no known valid purpose.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:53 PM

4,066 posts, read 5,655,622 times
If a street has a name long enough to be considered at all historic and many generations have used it, it should never be changed willy-nilly, IMO. I really think that only new or fairly new streets should be renamed to honor someone. That's just all kind of wrong, no matter who they intend to honor that way. That being said, I don't live in the city...but it does seem like unless a majority of residents of the city agree to it, it should not be done. Maybe it could be put to a vote?

Old 05-28-2011, 05:58 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,398,789 times
Default Like it or not,

Hispanic crap or white crap ,(harebrained quote) it won't go away.Van De Walle Farms is within the city limits. I know them. I worked for them when I was a kid.
Chavez influence extends beyond California, you must have missed this ?
What special interest groups? Very vague post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
erm, no we dont. there are no farms in san antonio... unless theyre out hiding in the BFE countryside... i dont see any agricultural influences here at all.

sorry, it is not yours. tejanos, much like the indians everyone claims are natives, migrated here (or were spawned here in the case of the mexicans). tejanos are NOT natives.

i agree. it is time we do away with all the hispanic crap and get some other cultures in here! im tired of seeing hispanic this mexican that latino this chicano that. there are other races also, not just hispanics!!!

no one is debating that he is a national hero. what we are debating is, he did nothing for san antonio, personally, that would warrant changing a street that has significant history behind it, not to mention the massive inconvenience it would cause businesses, home owners and renters on that street.

there is still strife here and it is being created by hispanics in power and them pandering to special interest groups. for the last time, there is more culture here than hispanic culture. by forcing it onto the people, Moderator cut: off topic/personal, much like our mayor julian castro.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:54 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,056,659 times
He was a national hero?

Old 05-29-2011, 10:34 AM

894 posts, read 1,550,880 times
I just think the city council did it because Austin has a Cesar Chavez street. I mean we couldn't host SXSW without it...teehee.

Old 05-31-2011, 05:30 PM

2,721 posts, read 4,398,789 times
Default Rod Man,

International.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
He was a national hero?

Old 05-31-2011, 05:32 PM

3,770 posts, read 8,302,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
He was a national hero?
Yes, he was. Have you ever read anything about him? He was quite influential and a pivotal figure in the civil and labor rights movement.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:43 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,886,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
San Antonio has a migrant farm worker influence. Many lived here and followed the crop during the season before returning home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
erm, no we dont. there are no farms in san antonio... unless theyre out hiding in the BFE countryside... i dont see any agricultural influences here at all.
Wherever the crop is at, could be the RGV, or Michigan, that is why they are call migrant farm workers, they migrate during the picking season and return home, if they have one, when it is done, and some have called San Antonio home.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:04 AM

915 posts, read 1,906,458 times
76-11, but who is counting?

76 opposed and only 11 in favor - Trouble Shooters uncover Durango Street documents|News 4 WOAI (WOAI.com in San Antonio)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio