Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2011, 05:14 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,497,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
It is total win for those who support diversity.
Remembering that we are in San Antonio, I absolutely have to hear the logic behind this statement. This should be good...

Old 07-21-2011, 06:51 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,773,322 times
Why would it be racial if the current street is already Spanish? Even being Hispanic (alright, half) myself, I am outraged at this, especially as a history buff. Durango is a street name stuck in the fabric of San Antonio's history. When you look at all those old black and white photos of San Antonio's past, the street name Durango sticks out. Lastly, more people are against the name change than for it. Tons of mailers from local businesses and residents were mailed in to the city to protest the name change. I thought the city council were supposed to serve the people, not one member's agenda.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:08 AM

7,132 posts, read 11,925,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merovee View Post
Total win.
Really? What about the historical use of the Durango name?

I'd really like to know if you have a really good grasp of what's involved in all of this. None of these are trick questions, just trying to put things into perspective. I'll be up front and tell you that I certainly don't know the answer to ALL of the questions - and would hope that anyone w/specific answers will speak up.

How many businesses are along Durango?

How many businesses have the street address AND street name on their billboards/signage/vehicles?

How many people are employed by Durango businesses that carry business cards?

How many residences are along Durango?

Let's just start w/those....

Old 07-21-2011, 07:46 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,615,477 times
In every poll I have seen, the percentage of people in favor of this is in the single digits. This is obviously a very unpopular agenda that was pushed through by a Hispanic majority on our city council. A majority city council who did not care what the majority of citizens wanted. This is a Hispanic majority city council thumping it's chest in bravado to show what they can do. The citizens of this city would do well to take notice. Every time you see those Caesar Chavez street signs on the surface roads and freeways remember how they got there. The Hispanic majority city government of San Antonio has shown their level of irresponsibility and they have chosen to display it on street signs downtown and on major freeways. Let those signs be a reminder in the next election.

Old 07-21-2011, 07:55 AM

7,132 posts, read 11,925,747 times
Frankly, I wouldn't care if they were martians - the bottom line for me is whether anyone bothered to even consider the real cost of doing this. That is what's irking me - and the question that hasn't been answered - at least, not in public.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 AM

161 posts, read 361,929 times
This is crazy. Government is supposed to serve the will of the people, and any poll I've ever seen on the issue has been overwhelmingly against this change. The polls may be slightly biased (TV, internet), but with as much opposition as has been demonstrated it's apparent that city council is throwing a big middle finger to the people they are supposed to serve.

Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 AM

5,642 posts, read 15,773,322 times
I don't care about the costs, I care about the historical significance. San Antonio is one of the most historic cities in the nation (some argue, the most historic). Changing a key pillar of San Antonio's past to something recent (Chavez) is not the way to go. I'm not belittling the man. He has done wonders for the Hispanic community and should be honored, but there are many other avenues that already share his name and memorial.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:21 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,808,298 times
What a ****ing waste of time and money! I stated on here before to take that money and fix potholes, parks, spruce up old buildings, etc. And I do not who is winning in this situation??? Perhaps the small majority of people who think this is a good idea. Seems like the overall feeling on this is that it is a terrible idea. There is already diversity in this city w/o street names being changed. All you have to do is look around!

Last edited by Bo; 07-21-2011 at 10:44 AM.. Reason: Replaced veiled profanity with the real word. If you must use those words, let the board render them as the owner prefers.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:33 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,497,362 times
Diversity to some = making things more the way they want to see them. Complete and total ignorance, but there's unfortunately no shortage of it anywhere these days. I believe Ren Hoek had a word for these people...

Old 07-21-2011, 09:37 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,808,298 times
EEEEEEDDDDIOTTSSSSS!!! I love that show. And yes it is applicable in this situation. Am I wrong, but didn't the guy who proposed this gem of an idea already leave his office? Wasn't this kinda his big hoorah as he rode into the sunset? Jaime something???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio