Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 11:54 AM

5 posts, read 14,481 times

Advertisements

Hi all, family and I are moving in the spring 2011 to SA . We are a large family of 5 plus dog and need a large home with plenty of free space inside and out. Need to know what area to look that we will be more comfortable living at being a homeschooling, Buddhist, free thinking family. May consider placing kids in scoop if the system is right. But need to be close to outdoors, parks museums,space with lots of fun and non judgemental people. Does a place like this exist in the area. What about Helotes, or Cibolo Canyon?
Thanks all who respond really need help in finding the right area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 12:00 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,885,079 times
I have no idea what difference your religion makes - and your thoughts are your own. Most folks don't give a hoot one way or another about your beliefs, as long as your a decent neighbor that takes care of their place and doesn't stick their nose into their business.

You'll find yourself at home about anywhere you'd care to live in the SA Metro area, as long as you're not judgemental of others.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:03 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,108,551 times
And our scoop systems are pretty good in both of those areas you mentioned!

Seriously, no one cares what your beliefs are as long as you respect theirs.

Good luck.

Old 12-31-2010, 01:10 PM

8,399 posts, read 23,045,626 times
Heck, we've got some pretty good scoop systems around here as far as I am concerned!

SA and Texas in general pretty much has a "live and let live" mentality, and the only time "free thinking," religion and politics become an issue is when someone tries to force their beliefs on others. So if you want people to be nonjudgmental of you, do as TRN and Sapph have recommended and extend the same courtesy to others and it won't be a problem!

Keep conversations about the hot weather, food (BBQ in particular) and how bad people drive, and you'll have enough conversation fodder to last you a lifetime here!

As for finding a large home on a decent amount of property, it is possible as the housing marking is inexpensive here compared to other parts of the country; but depending on what your price range is the Helotes area and the Hill Country in general can be a bit expensive. You'll have to give us a bit more info, such as how much you're looking to spend, to get a better idea of what there is out there.

Oh, and welcome to SA! We think it's a great place to live!

Cheers! M2

Old 12-31-2010, 02:18 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,896,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
Keep conversations about the hot weather, food (BBQ in particular) and how bad people drive, and you'll have enough conversation fodder to last you a lifetime here!
I think just perhaps they are seeking more stimulating conversation than that. Keep in mind that I understand all our posts in this thread are to help the OP.

It is nice to have acquaintances to be polite with but quite terrific to have open minded people to discuss topics with more openly. Complaining about bad drivers, or complaining period, is not exactly freethinking. Just in case others come along with similar interests and inquiring about our city perhaps the following will help some understand what exactly they are looking for in order to be more helpful.

Quote:
Freethought is a philosophical viewpoint that holds that opinions should be formed on the basis of science, logic, and reason, and should not be influenced by authority, tradition, or any dogma.

The cognitive application of freethought is known as freethinking, and practitioners of freethought are known as freethinkers.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freethinking

Dehippygirl I hope the following link will help you if you make a move down here.

Freethinkers Association of Central Texas - Meetings (http://www.freethinkersact.org/meetings.htm - broken link)

Also keep in mind that Comfort, Texas, in the Texas Hill Country, is historically an area of freethinkers, dating back to the mid-nineteenth century. It is just one county away and some of their influence, I believe, extends into modern San Antonio.

Sorry that I cannot point you in the right direction as far as what communities you could move into to be surrounded by others who share your worldview. I am not a freethinker myself but know where you are coming from. The advice given by the above three posters is quite accurate in that there will be many you simply cannot freely discuss with so will have to be quite selective in the friends you make and keep.

There is at least two Buddhist temples in town as well, my sister subscribes to that philosophy, so you won't totally be outnumbered. I am certain others will come along shortly to help you with specific neighborhoods.

Last edited by Merovee; 12-31-2010 at 02:29 PM..

Old 12-31-2010, 02:25 PM

I might point out that there are always going to be points of disagreement between any two groups of folks - whether it be religion, politics, the color of house paint, etc.. In my experience, folks in SA are normally VERY open-minded, and if they don't share your belief they'll listen to your side, present theirs, and then at worst you can agree to disagree. After all, isn't that supposed to be one of the tenets of being a freethinker - to allow others their own beliefs?

Old 12-31-2010, 03:15 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,896,292 times
That is not exactly freethinking. A definition was already given above.

It is nice to have others listen to your views and at worst disagree but better to have those who can actually understand and at best agree. Most of all if they find the conversation interesting and stimulating. I would not worry about it, that was just one thing on their list, and it is very likely that they are already coming from an area similar to this one.

Now a conversation on the color of house paint sounds most interesting if we were actually sitting in your parlor.

Old 12-31-2010, 03:49 PM

Because I may disagree with your conclusions doesn't make me any less a freethinker. I might even partially agree - but the key thing is to allow you to have your thoughts without trying to impose my own on you.

And I somehow think you'd dislike sitting in my parlor, since it doubles as my gun/trophy room...

Old 12-31-2010, 03:59 PM

5,615 posts, read 14,829,070 times
Quote:
But need to be close to outdoors, parks museums
You can get the first or the second, but you won't find a lot of either in close proximity to each other.

Old 12-31-2010, 04:08 PM

18,163 posts, read 25,408,723 times
Buddhist temple in Schertz.
http://www.watsaddhadhamma.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio