Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 09:34 AM

7 posts, read 13,425 times

Advertisements

Hello San Antonio!!
I've been just release from active duty for injuries substained in the line of duty. My commanding unit has highly recommend Wilford Hall Medical Center in Lackland to be the BEST Military Hospital in the US. Having been in Lackland once for training...and wondering as far as the River Walk, the USO, and the downtown Mall, I am not very familiar with the area.

Within the next 4 weeks I will purchase a home in SA to live & rec' medical attention at Wilford Hall Medical Center. Hopefully, I would like to attend the SA Community College. I have managed to save in the last 3 years around 50K (hard to do with the military min wage wages:-) and intend to use it to purchase a home. I would love to know where is the place to live between Wilford Hall Medical Center and SA Community College that has public transportation (I'm unable to drive presently).

Yes, I have read horror stories about "rough" neighborhoods in SA but sometime those not so good neighborhood could be starving for a light that shine on them. My Jesus did.

Thanks for you help

Rachel Hortwitz
Arlington, VA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2008, 02:59 PM

5,642 posts, read 15,762,360 times
I hope someone can help you! Thanks for serving.

Old 05-12-2008, 03:07 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,245,614 times
Do you know which ACCD community college campus you'll be attending for the program you seek? One of the ACCD campuses is San Antonio College, which is just north of downtown. Wilford Hall is south of downtown. Palo Alto College is probably the closest ACCD campus to Wilford Hall.

Old 05-12-2008, 04:00 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,516,679 times
Actually, Northwest Vista college is part of the ACCD campuses and it would be VERY convenient to WHMC, so you might want to consider the SeaWorld area.

Downtown traffic can be a hassle...if you live in the Seaworld area you would be 15 minutes to WHMC and 5 minutes from school.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-12-2008, 04:42 PM

163 posts, read 547,756 times
I'm thinking Palo Alto might be the best bet for him. Its not far from Wilford Hall at all and at least he'd have SW Military Dr near him. He can go to the mall and some restaurants within easy access.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:09 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,516,679 times
I think HE is a SHE...signed her name as Rachel.

WELCOME to SA Rachel, and thank you for your service to our country!

Old 05-12-2008, 05:26 PM

1,276 posts, read 3,837,650 times
Rachel,

Thank you for the sacrifices you have made.

I would agree with Paka only because I live in the same general area--I'm not familiar with the area thebigmammoo is talking about as I don't venture that direction much. I live just off Highway 151 and Potranco and I'm about a 5-10 minute drive from Northwest Vista College and about 15 minutes from Lackland during rush hour traffic. UTSA is about a 20 to 30-minute drive depending on traffic. And Our Lady of the Lake University is about 20 minutes the other direction. I only mention UTSA and OLLU because I would assume you might want to consider transferring after you complete your 2 years at NVC. The nearest mall (Ingram) is about 10 to 15 minutes. Also lots of restaurants and shopping in this area too as it has grown tremendously in the last 4 years--and is still growing.

If you have any other questions, please ask. This is a great forum with a group of great, knowledgeable people from all across San Antonio who could give you lots of info about the areas in which they live.

Old 05-12-2008, 05:27 PM

380 posts, read 1,283,174 times
Yes, God Bless you and Thank you.

I thought WHMC was closing or at least parts of it?

Old 05-12-2008, 10:39 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,708,580 times
Lackland's Wilford Hall will be changing soon. No in-patients and will become a large clinic. The Army's BAMC is newer and also has a brand new facility for recovering wounded military personnel.

Anyway, if you want to use the bus service, then it's best to stay INSIDE Loop 1604. Here is the Via Bus web page:

VIA Metropolitan Transit

If you want to stay close to Lackland, then try looking between Marbach and Potranco outside of Loop 410. There are lots of homes (new and used) that are reasonably priced. This area is mostly the 78245 zip code. Check MYSA.com realty section using the zip code search function for homes for sale. You can also check the routes on Via website to determine if they come close to where you want to live. I know Via does go through some of the streets in the Heritage subdivision.

Good Luck and Thanks!

Old 05-13-2008, 02:14 AM

1,117 posts, read 2,045,124 times
Having been at WRAMC in DC, I think personnel are being sent to BAMC over Wilford Hall, depending on the nature of injuries or disability. Are you absolutely certain that is where you will be transferred to? Will you continue active duty or go into the VA medical system in the near future?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio