Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 02:16 PM

3 posts, read 45,694 times

Advertisements

Ok.. so moving to San Antonio next year and not sure where is a good place to live in the area.. I was also looking into the Alamo Ranch area.. or zip code 78253.. What is this area like?? What is a good area to live in.. I am looking into homes in the $200,000 range. I want my kids to go to good school.. and I heard Northside Independent School District is good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 03:08 PM

487 posts, read 991,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Floersch View Post
Ok.. so moving to San Antonio next year and not sure where is a good place to live in the area.. I was also looking into the Alamo Ranch area.. or zip code 78253.. What is this area like?? What is a good area to live in.. I am looking into homes in the $200,000 range. I want my kids to go to good school.. and I heard Northside Independent School District is good.
I live by La Cantera and really love it. Have a first grader in a a NISD school (Blattman) and so far we have had a great experience. We like to be close to shopping, restaurants, other attractions and drive to downtown is not to bad (like 20-30 mins during non-rush hour). Best schools tend to be around the 1604 between I10 and 281 (with some exceptions, of course). If you don't want something large, you should be able to find homes in that price range.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:25 PM

208 posts, read 382,788 times
look in timber/great northwest area off of grissom . good schools (timber wilde elementary & connally MS), plenty of parks, bike paths, quite & well kept neighborhoods, public library & HEB within good walking distance (1.5 miles), but traffic can be tight . seems like i could wake up at 2am on a sunday morning and head out to the store and run right into a pack of cars .

Moderator cut: No links can be posted by any new member with less than 10 posts.

Moderator cut: No specific real estate agent or real estate company can be posted in the forums - only realtor.com. Additionally, no recommendations can be given via DM if and when the OP has not requested a recommendation.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 01-19-2012 at 04:08 PM..

Old 01-21-2012, 01:10 PM

592 posts, read 2,024,673 times
Look in 78023 zip code.

Old 01-21-2012, 02:37 PM

123 posts, read 258,022 times
You could check out the Potranco and 1604 area too. It's also in NISD and not far from Alamo Ranch.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:06 PM

3 posts, read 45,694 times
Thanks for all your input.. it's almost like speaking another language trying to figure out what it all means.. Is La Cantera a community within Alamo Ranch? Is the 1604 a main highway within San Antonio? Is Potranco another housing community or small town? Is Timber also a housing community and Grissom the main road there?

I understand San Antonio is a huge city.. I am coming from a small suburb west of the Phoenix Metro area.. I am thinking I want something less than a big city feel.. more quiet and not so congested.. but I know that may be hard to find out there??? I'm going to get with the City Commerce and have a local map and info sent.. I still have time.. but just dread moving and all the hassle that comes with it, but at the same time SUPER excited to be making a change!!!

Thanks for the info!! Laura

Old 02-07-2012, 01:27 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,554,543 times
Where will you be working? that's a huge factor in where to live. SA is a large city. If you're working downtown or on the NE or East sides, Alamo Ranch would be an awful commute. If you're working NW/Lackland area, it would be tolerable.

What elements made you choose AR over other areas?

1604 is the outer highway loop that runs around the city. If you look at a map you see two rings. Inner is 410, outer is 1604. Near downtown there's a little square.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:45 PM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,055 times
We just built a new home in Alamo Ranch and we LOVE IT!!!! There are multiple subdivisions within Alamo Ranch and plenty of builders to choose from. We chose The Preserve and David Weekley built our home but Highland Homes also builds in the Preserve. Both builders are considered "higher end" compared to the other builders in the area but they both have floorplans within your price range. We chose the Preserve because they didn't plow down all of the trees like the other subdivisions in the development. Shopping and dining is very close by and the school is within walking distance. Our community is gated with a pool and playground. We are a short distance from Sea World so our out of town guests love that. Hope this helps.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:58 PM

487 posts, read 991,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura Floersch View Post
Thanks for all your input.. it's almost like speaking another language trying to figure out what it all means.. Is La Cantera a community within Alamo Ranch? Is the 1604 a main highway within San Antonio? Is Potranco another housing community or small town? Is Timber also a housing community and Grissom the main road there?

I understand San Antonio is a huge city.. I am coming from a small suburb west of the Phoenix Metro area.. I am thinking I want something less than a big city feel.. more quiet and not so congested.. but I know that may be hard to find out there??? I'm going to get with the City Commerce and have a local map and info sent.. I still have time.. but just dread moving and all the hassle that comes with it, but at the same time SUPER excited to be making a change!!!

Thanks for the info!! Laura

La Cantera is one of the best known shopping centers in San Antonio, along 1604 and I-10 and major poiont of reference in the city. There is a lot of new developments around that area but also some traditional neighboorhoods like Shavano Park. It's relatively close to Stone Oak (another large development on the north side) so its forms kind of a "corridor" along 1604. Some of the best schools in the city are in that area, both in the Northside and North East ISDs.

You may also want to consider Helotes, which is in between La Cantera and Alamo Ranch (1604 and Bandera). It has some nice developments that still feel rural. Boerne may also be an option.

Google maps may give you a good view of the major streets and areas in the city.

Best luck!

Old 02-07-2012, 04:03 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,451,919 times
I too think you would want to give both school and traffic consideration to where you need to be for work and where you will live.

There are areas of SA that can take you a LONG time to get to work during rush hour...so be as mindful of that commute as you are the other aspects. Welcome to the BEST city in the US to live in (ok...I am a LITTLE bias!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio