Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 07:44 AM

4 posts, read 18,950 times

Advertisements

My family is considering a move from the East Coast to Granite Bay. We are not religious, and don't want to live where social life revolves around church and religious beliefs. Can you find other non-religiously-involved people in a town with so many, and so many large, christian churches?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 09:03 AM

16 posts, read 41,120 times
I don't believe you will find Granite Bay to be church focused. The community fits nicely into the mix of suburban areas that surround Sacramento. Granite Bay offers perhaps a little more open space that is still very close to shoping, dining and recreation. The schools are considered top notch. The community lies within minutes of two major freeways, but they are not in Granite Bay. We like it here. Keep in mind that if you do move to this area, there are many fine communities that souround the city of Sacramneto. You will have to do some looking around to find the one that suits you best.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:39 AM

406 posts, read 1,596,461 times
Granite Bay is part of the greater Sacramento region an area with around 2 million people. You shoulld be able to find housing in a neighborhood with people who share your beliefs.

Granite Bay is wealthy Republican leaning neighborhood. It sounds like you are looking for a wealthy liberal leaning neighborhood. I would look at Davis or East Sac, specifically the fabulous forties.

Old 02-23-2009, 11:53 AM

534 posts, read 1,538,061 times
yep, what zen_klown said is great advice....

Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 PM

375 posts, read 1,729,468 times
I live in Granite Bay (since the 80's). There are several churches in our area, but people don't push them. I don't attend any of them. It's a great place to raise kids. Some of the best schools and low crime. Not everyone is wealthy here, it has it's areas.

BTW, I didn't vote for Rep!

Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 7,182 times
Granite Bay is very church focused. We moved here 2 years ago and the first thing people say when they meet you is "Do you go to Bayside?" I am a very social person and have always fit right in to any community I have lived in except Granite Bay. I can count on one hand the people who have made any effort to be friendly. I have made efforts to befriend people and there is no interest if you don't fit into the church going, wealthy, botox & boob job crowd. I can't wait to get out of this place.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:04 PM

3,980 posts, read 9,008,612 times
The churches in these parts look like malls. This was one of the biggest culture shocks to me after living in San Francisco/Bay Area all my life..even more of a culture shock for me than living abroad . I cannot speak for Granite Bay specifically (but I do know of that gigantic church everyone's mentioned), but all of the surrounding towns are all church focused.

I once took my daughter to the local park in Fair Oaks and my toddler had seemingly made a new friend..the mother walked over to me to chat about how well our kids got along. Then she asked if I was new to her church's mother's group. I told her that I wasn't part of her church..just on my own and she scooped her daughter up, and told her they had to play with kids from the group! Bizarre and totally foreign to me! Not saying that everyone is like this, but church culture was definitely more noticeable out here compared to San Francisco. Thank Goodness I'm back in the "liberal" Bay Area.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:42 PM

375 posts, read 1,729,468 times
I've never heard of that happening in Granite Bay, Roseville or Rocklin. I would personally blame that on the person, not the church. My kids are now older, but we took them to just about every park around those areas. We even took the kids to one of the GB's Ginormous Church Halloween functions in their parking lot every year. It's open to everyone in the neighborhood. Not once did they talk about religion or try to hook us. They are not all bad. They do give back to their neighborhoods.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:39 PM

406 posts, read 1,596,461 times
If you have hang ups about organized religion, then I would avoid most of the Republican leaning suburbs including Granite Bay, Roseville and Folsom. If you have hang ups about homosexuals, I would avoid most of the liberal leaning suburbs like Davis and Curtis Park.

Some people aren't well suited at dealing with people who don't think exactly like themselves. If you are one of those people seek out other members of your tribe, so you don't have to deal with thoughts and beliefs that overwhelm your limited coping skills.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:41 PM

553 posts, read 2,336,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saccish View Post
My family is considering a move from the East Coast to Granite Bay. We are not religious, and don't want to live where social life revolves around church and religious beliefs. Can you find other non-religiously-involved people in a town with so many, and so many large, christian churches?
Nope. It's all about what car you drive, how big your house is what kind of money you make. Sure there are a few pockets in GB that aren;t like that but they are far and few between. Don't believe me? Look for the "Live and Play in Granite Bay" bumper stickers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Sacramento