Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:34 AM

93,246 posts, read 123,876,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
No, don't panic. You're not dreaming. Just a couple examples from Zillow.com near upper Monroe - a decent (and inexpensive) neighborhood, where you'll have no problem getting someone to rent.
Rochester, NY Real Estate & Rochester Homes for Sale - Zillow
I was going to say, Upper Monroe looks like an area that would be perfect, as it has it's share of businesses there and close to highways and so on. Swillburg looks like it could work too.

Upper Monroe Neighborhood Association | UMNA
Monroe Village (http://monroevillage.org/default.aspx - broken link)
Welcome To Monroe Avenue

Welcome to Swillburg!

Here's a good site for checking out what goes on in many of Rochester's city neighborhoods: Neighborhoods - Rochester Wiki
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2010, 01:10 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,446,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaron4040 View Post
No, don't panic. You're not dreaming. Just a couple examples from Zillow.com near upper Monroe - a decent (and inexpensive) neighborhood, where you'll have no problem getting someone to rent.
Rochester, NY Real Estate & Rochester Homes for Sale - Zillow
Monroe would be PERFECT. A friend has owned two rental properties off Monroe, slightly south of Goodman, for several years and he loves it over there. Off Monroe, not far from Pinnacle Hill. It's mixed over there, renters and stable families. The one he lives in is a two-flat, as I call it, and the other is right up the street.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:13 PM

Swillburg and the South Wedge are really nice in spots, particularly close to the hospital, and over towards S. Goodman and Highland Park. That's a very diverse area. Lots of stores and restaurants along S. Clinton, and the South Wedge has tons of businesses that have been family owned for generations.

Old 01-14-2010, 01:32 AM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardRoarke View Post
As others here have noted, there are people in the 'burbs there who never venture into the city, in fact they rarely venture far outside their little world. Some are proud of this. Hate to say it, but, there's a certain "sheltered" mentality to a lot of people in that town, and I don't miss that one bit. To think people are afraid of venturing anywhere within the city limits smacks of a certain lack of maturity and a healthy attitude towards life, but that's par for the course for many around town, there.
You couldn't have described the situation better. The ignorance of many people around the city are incredible. As people talk about the city being a non livable area, but at the same time cannot name two neighborhoods or better yet don't even know which is the right exit to use downtown.

So if you hear people talk about the city. Make sure they have common knowledge of the city, a question like "what neighborhood was that in," or "how do you get there?" I almost always stop the person in conversation or get the run around. Take these comments with a grain of salt.

I often try to get out and go to different shops and restaurants. Every little shop has its own style and way of doing things. With some exception, I enjoy the little mom and pop stores to the chains. Park ave and Monroe ave still have alot of these places you can walk to. Park ave, along with its low crime ranks high for a desirable place to live within the city. If you really want an urban lifestyle with low crime, this is probably your best shot.

Old 01-14-2010, 08:37 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,587,923 times
I agree.....the complete ignorance of the city by many of my fellow suburbanites is pretty unsettling. I live in the suburbs now because I have 3 kids (well, 2 of them still at home) and we wanted to have better schools and a more family friendly environment for them. But I still enjoy going into the city often and know that the suburbs wouldn't exist without the city. Someday when the kids are all out of the house, the wife and I really want to buy a nice old house in the city that needs some TLC and fix it up. There are some amazing architectural gems in the city. I think a lot of empty nesters from the burbs are starting to do things like that.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheese9988 View Post
You couldn't have described the situation better. The ignorance of many people around the city are incredible. As people talk about the city being a non livable area, but at the same time cannot name two neighborhoods or better yet don't even know which is the right exit to use downtown.

So if you hear people talk about the city. Make sure they have common knowledge of the city, a question like "what neighborhood was that in," or "how do you get there?" I almost always stop the person in conversation or get the run around. Take these comments with a grain of salt.

I often try to get out and go to different shops and restaurants. Every little shop has its own style and way of doing things. With some exception, I enjoy the little mom and pop stores to the chains. Park ave and Monroe ave still have alot of these places you can walk to. Park ave, along with its low crime ranks high for a desirable place to live within the city. If you really want an urban lifestyle with low crime, this is probably your best shot.
Check out Al's Stand, after the weather warms up, and then tell Rochesterians you went to Al's Stand the previous night, or over a weekend. You'll get one of the following reactions:

A) Where's that (whereby you then tell them where it is)?
B) You went WHERE (look of horror on their faces)?!?
C) Oh, yeah, we've been going for years.
D) Deer in headlights.

I'm not saying everybody there should know where it is, or should care to go there, but by you simply saying you've been there is a good way to read people.

The down to Earth folks in that town who grew up in the city, and others who know it, are very open about their experiences, there, and remember places like Al's and other hole in the wall joints, many of which are still in business. Those are the folks to ask.

Old 01-21-2010, 06:21 PM

28 posts, read 123,243 times
Thanks to all for your input , I will look into the neighborhoods which have been mentioned, especially UpperMonroe ..thanks again All

Old 02-26-2016, 06:11 PM

1 posts, read 703 times
Shoot I have been reading about what you guys are saying in regards to racism and being a Black woman trying for a good job in Rochester is a bit unsettling. I live in Indiana now and moved from NYC to get a job that didn't come to fruition because I guess my voice was different from my look but you can't prove that. I realize that racism is everywhere but it seems to be a bit more blatant in Rochester. NYC has it also but they try to sweep it under a rug; maybe its better knowing where you stand before you go for a fall ... I really want this job so now I have to weigh the pros and the cons. Its with a very good company and potential for advancement is unlimited. Help, where can one such as myself move there with all of those hangups?

Old 02-26-2016, 06:52 PM

93,246 posts, read 123,876,708 times
There is a Black professional scene in the area and while there are issues in terms of race and other topics, there are also Black people that are doing fine as well. You may be interested in this arm of the local Urban League: Rochester Black Young Professionals

Also, according to recent census info, the percentage of Blacks 25 and older with at least a Bachelor's degree is 20% versus 19% for that group nationally.

Old 02-29-2016, 02:33 AM

334 posts, read 188,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking For A Good Job View Post
Shoot I have been reading about what you guys are saying in regards to racism and being a Black woman trying for a good job in Rochester is a bit unsettling. I live in Indiana now and moved from NYC to get a job that didn't come to fruition because I guess my voice was different from my look but you can't prove that. I realize that racism is everywhere but it seems to be a bit more blatant in Rochester. NYC has it also but they try to sweep it under a rug; maybe its better knowing where you stand before you go for a fall ... I really want this job so now I have to weigh the pros and the cons. Its with a very good company and potential for advancement is unlimited. Help, where can one such as myself move there with all of those hangups?
Make sure you do your homework. Keep in mind, that Americans "both black and white" are being denied jobs or let go due to the H1B Visa increase. I'm sure you are probably aware of the fiasco at Disney.
Abolish H1B Visa program | Petition2Congress
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/26/us...ants.html?_r=0
Americans Fired, Foreigners Employed -
Just be sure to check the company out THOROUGHLY to see what their goals are for the future, etc. Times have greatly changed now, and you can't look at companies like before when people were with the same company 20+ years. You have to always act as if you are "self-employed" and the company is one of your clients...LOL Good Luck on your job search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area