Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 04:02 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,580 times

Advertisements

Let me make it clear that I am not saying anything negative about white people, or black people, or the city of the Richmond, or the people of Richmond.

My point is simply that Richmond is segregated (ever heard of Defacto Segregation? Look it up), and it is my personal opinion that Richmond is not diverse. So why is everyone getting so angry and saying things that don't even make sense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 04:15 PM

631 posts, read 1,290,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
If you read the posts in this thread, you will see many people blame their surroundings for their unhappiness....a place cannot make someone unhappy...in my opinion, happiness is a choice.
A place cannot make someone unhappy? You're joking right?

Further, nobody blamed their surroundings on anything, the people that posted before you on the first page expressed opinions AND facts (depending on who you quote) based on experience. I'd hope you can respect that, if not, then you're proving the point of the original poster.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:23 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVA-Jsn20 View Post
A place cannot make someone unhappy? You're joking right?

Further, nobody blamed their surroundings on anything, the people that posted before you on the first page expressed opinions AND facts (depending on who you quote) based on experience. I'd hope you can respect that, if not, then you're proving the point of the original poster.
As I stated, IN MY OPINION happiness is a choice...it comes from within...no matter where you go, there you are...again, I will reiterate, these are my opinions.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:05 PM

845 posts, read 2,831,007 times
Well, Richmond just within the last couple of years, opened a big Gay community center, on the north side. The city also has a Gay men's choir, a Gay church, and a Gay theater which, using local actors, produces several plays a year about Gay peoples' lives and issues.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:58 PM

23 posts, read 69,240 times
Richmond's biggest problem is "diversity." Face it, when a city becomes majority black, it goes the way of Detroit, it's only a matter of time. Richmond is about 60% black, thus the extreme crime and poverty for such a small city. Richmond's historic significance, VCU, and UR, and the fact that it is the capital of Virginia are the only things that have kept it afloat and kept a small cadre of whites still in the city limits. Take away the history, the schools, and the state government and we'd be Gary Indiana, Cleveland, or Detroit or any other third world America majority black city.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:20 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Richmond is not diverse as you might experience in a larger city. Everything seems to divide along black/white lines from housing to employment. Like Albany NY if it wasn't the state capital it would have closed up years ago.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:36 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,681,432 times
Lightbulb Ohhh Boy Howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coubr View Post
Richmond's biggest problem is "diversity." Face it, when a city becomes majority black, it goes the way of Detroit, it's only a matter of time. Richmond is about 60% black, thus the extreme crime and poverty for such a small city. Richmond's historic significance, VCU, and UR, and the fact that it is the capital of Virginia are the only things that have kept it afloat and kept a small cadre of whites still in the city limits. Take away the history, the schools, and the state government and we'd be Gary Indiana, Cleveland, or Detroit or any other third world America majority black city.
And I thank the Lord above that opinions like yours don't keep people on both sides from having an open mind, and still considering Richmond as a destination or a dwelling place...

Face it, when someone takes regurgitated mess like 'when a city becomes majority black...' and tries to pass it off as gospel, there's a problem...

I'm really very sorry if any black presence over say, 1%, causes you to pack your wagon and head for the hills, but I would advise you to get over it and move on...there are many intelligent, successful black Americans out here who put your theory to lie every single day of their lives...but you wouldn't know that, maybe because, like so many others, your only continued interaction/exposure with/to blacks is (gasp!) every single negative nightly news clip or newspaper article, especially those with bylines from Detroit, or Gary, or Cleveland, or any other of your so-called '3rd world America majority black cities'...I'm sorry also if your opinion of some blacks is so low that you choose to lump them into '3rd world' status, but my college-educated wife and I both call bull**** on that...

If you'd drop the newspaper and turn off the TV, and actually attempt to interact, you'd find what I'm saying is true, in Richmond and a lot of other places...but no, it seems like you'd prefer to take the easy way out, and sit on your duff in front of your PC, and spout a bunch of divisive nonsense as if you have some correspondence-school Ph.D on the subject...not the way to go at all

Last edited by captaincatfish; 11-12-2010 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: added a few more choice words

Old 11-12-2010, 08:04 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,347,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coubr View Post
Richmond's biggest problem is "diversity." Face it, when a city becomes majority black, it goes the way of Detroit, it's only a matter of time.
Atlanta is a perfect case study on exactly how misguided this statement is. It has been majority black for some time, and is considered a beta world city.

Old 11-15-2010, 07:53 AM

323 posts, read 529,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
What do you consider "white events" and what do you consider the more "pleasant environments"?
Mr. Stewart, I know you are sincere in your question. I feel overwhelmed with the responses I could give you after experiencing it for so many years.

Some things that stick out - When kings dominion has events - the events that my family attended that drawed a large AA crowd - had lots of Police and they had limited entrance/exist -as well as did semi searches on entry vs when we attended other events there - no police - no searches - regular entry/exit - as I said earlier - lot of suttle yet powerful racist stuff going on here for the folks that experience it - that's a whack environment

Last summer 6 people meet at Henricus/Prosper park age 28-77 - all dress in conservative attire - most in white - 4 henrico police cars came - obviously neighbors called because they saw a group of AA in the park

I went to 5 events at Bryd Park - Dell concert this summer - the event that had a majority AA (Plunky - Jazz) had police posted throughout (no violent incident occurred) vs other events I attended there this summer had none

There was an article recently in Style regarding the White guy from Florida who had to close his club in Shockhoe slip because he had a lot of affairs that attracted AA's - he stated in that article that prior to using his club for AA events - he was losing money - if he had a AA bartending - whites would look in the window and not come in - He also said where he came from AA & whites mingled together at most locale club scenes and this experience was very different for him

Did you know that as recent as the 90's - Richmond schools had segregated classes and the VA Blood Bank was segregating blood - all reported by local news??

I know you do not understand - but it really is overwhelming to list all the real example here - workplace alone would be a book

Old 11-15-2010, 07:59 AM

1,799 posts, read 6,316,533 times
So "white" events have less police and "black" events have more police?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond