Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 02:18 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,876,953 times

Advertisements

can you get more diverse than this?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2008, 12:08 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,655,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oleo View Post
Richmond is extremely diverse. It just so happens that a lot of the black people that live here live in poverty. Maybe that's why you don't see them.
That is a racist and derogatory comment and completely disrespectful to my race. I'll have you know, the family that I have that lives in Richmond is the furthest thing from Poor. They have a really big house and are happily married and have wonderful kids and go to great schools in the area. I can't wait to go back. You need to go educate yourself.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:39 AM

132 posts, read 254,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That is a racist and derogatory comment and completely disrespectful to my race. I'll have you know, the family that I have that lives in Richmond is the furthest thing from Poor. They have a really big house and are happily married and have wonderful kids and go to great schools in the area. I can't wait to go back. You need to go educate yourself.
Dont be so sensitive, fact is, Richmond and Petersburg will rob young black people of dreams! I was home this past weekend and saw the same ole same ole with all of the thugs and such. I cant help but feel that in my younger days I contributed to this latest wave of young misguided youth. Im a product of the 80's and made my impact on Richmond in the late 80's early 90's and did some pretty "ignant" stuff until I left Richmond and saw that there was a whole world outside of Brookland Park Blvd. Petersburg is probably worse than Richmond because there are significantly less oprotunities for jobs and decent housing. Yes there may be some blacks that beat the statistics but when you are in the neighborhoods and see the living conditions you realize that Central Virginia has a problem. Yes the area has a large population of blacks living in poverty. I dont run from that fact. How can I? Im a product of that fact.

Old 11-04-2008, 10:09 AM

9 posts, read 28,089 times
Growing up 10 minutes from D.C. and now living in Richmond, I can honestly say that Richmond is NOT diverse at all. It is strictly white and black. It's a typical Southern city.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:46 PM

4 posts, read 14,054 times
Quote:
Growing up 10 minutes from D.C. and now living in Richmond, I can honestly say that Richmond is NOT diverse at all. It is strictly white and black. It's a typical Southern city.
I completely agree. DC and Northern Virginia have tons of people from all over the world, of all backgrounds and beliefs. To me, that's diverse. Richmond IS basically black and white, and while you'll find the exception here and there, for the most part people will think you come from a different planet if you're anything but white or black.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:26 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,712,027 times
For the most part the whites stay with the whites and the blacks stay with the blacks and same with hispanics. Even at the Folk Festival I noticed the same rules for performances. However I don't see it lasting long. VCU has changed this, a lot of the youth is bringing more diversity into the area now days. I would not say it depends where you live because it depends on what age group is in your community more than anything. Some older people are still set in their ways. I don't understand how you could suggest black people not to move here when they are the majority here..

Old 01-04-2009, 08:16 PM

10 posts, read 25,335 times
Exclamation Wow

Oh my GOD! I was looking to move to Richmond. I heard such great things about this city and figured that it would be pretty diverse since it is the capitol area. Do tell me please what cities would you then recommend I research? Please help!.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:22 PM

10 posts, read 25,335 times
Default Wow

I would like to move to Virginia but don't think myself nor my daughter could handle that type of mindset. I am trying to move closer to my sister in Maryland and thought that VA. would be a great state to move to. Somebody tell me what are the best cities to look into.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:53 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,712,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph49444 View Post
Oh my GOD! I was looking to move to Richmond. I heard such great things about this city and figured that it would be pretty diverse since it is the capitol area. Do tell me please what cities would you then recommend I research? Please help!.
Norfolk is very diverse. I have a friend there and he is very reliable & honest. I have no idea what the area is like or what your expectations are but he tells me Norfolk is more diverse. He has lived in VA Beach, Hampton, Richmond and Norfolk. Hope this helps.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:23 AM

2,179 posts, read 7,387,755 times
when I lived in Richmond I was constantly a victim of reverse discrimination whether it be at the dmv or McDonald's, I could go on about this but I dont want to be labeled so I will leave it at that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond