Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 04:38 PM

6 posts, read 7,555 times

Advertisements

I agree with you guys... Richmond is strickly Black & White. Nothing more, nothing less.

White people: Go hang out around the east side, around 9 Mile Road and Fairmont, or around Mosby Court. I dare you.

Black people: Go to the far west end. Take a nice leisurely stroll down Lauderdale or N. Gayton Rd, all around the massive townhouses. Go over to Pouncy Tract and walk around. Somebody just might freak out and call the cops!

Richmond... Diverse? Bawaaaahaaaa!!! Don't make me laugh...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 10:32 AM

9 posts, read 28,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steph49444 View Post
I would like to move to Virginia but don't think myself nor my daughter could handle that type of mindset. I am trying to move closer to my sister in Maryland and thought that VA. would be a great state to move to. Somebody tell me what are the best cities to look into.
I would suggest anywhere in Northern Virginia. I grew up in Falls Church, and pretty much all the areas surrounding it (Annandale, Arlington, Fairfax) are very diverse. It's expensive to live there though. That's the only reason I was forced to move to Richmond.

Old 01-13-2009, 01:49 PM

7 posts, read 31,980 times
Oh my gosh, my friends and I were just discussing this issue the other day. I am African American and I graduated from VCU in 2004. I have lived here in Richmond, Hampton, and Northern VA. I must say that if it weren't for the low cost of living here in Richmond, I would have moved back to NOVA a long time ago. Here (Richmond) everything is Black or White, not much integration as far as socialization is concerned (please don’t take that statement out of context). Blacks live on one side of town and whites live on the other. Blacks tend to frequent certain clubs/bars and whites tend to frequent others. I HATE THAT about the Richmond Area.

NOVA is much more diverse where everyone is mixed together in different communities (all races). You are more likely to run across a club/bar/restaurant spot that has a mixed crowd (mixed music). People are too busy commuting and trying to make money to be concerned with petty racial differences.

I want to move to a more diverse area when it comes time to raise a family. An area where children are exposed to, interact, and live amongst different races and nationalities other than their own.

You might not want to admit it but there is definitely a racial undertone here in Richmond, but that is only part of the problem. This area could be so much more but yet doesn't move forward....

Old 01-13-2009, 02:03 PM

7 posts, read 31,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonMaverick804 View Post
Norfolk is very diverse. I have a friend there and he is very reliable & honest. I have no idea what the area is like or what your expectations are but he tells me Norfolk is more diverse. He has lived in VA Beach, Hampton, Richmond and Norfolk. Hope this helps.
Sorry to cut you off, but Norfolk is not diverse. It is kind of the same situation, may be even worse because the economy in the tidewater area sucks. Same old Commonwealth, blacks with blacks and whites with whites. You want diversity in VA, go to Northern VA (Prince William, Fairfax, Alexandria, Arlington).

Old 01-13-2009, 03:01 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,586 times
Oh, well that's unfortunate.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:28 PM

1 posts, read 3,894 times
Default They are right

I agree with carterharuka. We don't want diversity in Richmond. We prefer it the way it was in the 1860s.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:17 AM
CNI

194 posts, read 578,473 times
I know the OP did not state that demographically Richmond is not diverse.
However, as the thread has moved on it has been implied that Richmond's demographics are not diverse.
Richmond is almost 96% black-white...but other close eastern cities are also in the 95% black-white range (except the DC MSA).
From 2007 Census data (for MSA):
Richmond is not diverse-citydata-races-variouscities.jpg

Second, it seems some here are solely equating diversity with how many races they see at events THEY attend.
My question is...how often are you traveling to areas where the diverse people you claim to want to be around really do their thing.
In Richmond, some of the Hispanic population can be found in areas such as south Richmond near the Chesterfield line and areas of Chesterfield.
In the Route 1/Broadrock Road area of south Richmond you can find Hispanic churches, clubs, stores, auto repair shops, etc.
I am vaguely familiar with somewhat strong Hispanic participation in Chesterfield soccer leagues.
Near Broad and Horsepen there is a small concentration of Asian establishments.
I know members and descendants of Native American tribes can be found in places such as Charles City.
I used to watch a program featuring Punjab music and videos on the local community access channel.
There is also an annual Asian cultural festival (in addition to other cultural festivals).
The Richmond Times Dispatch at one time (if not still) was offering sections of the newspaper in Spanish. There was (and still may be) a Spanish oriented magazine called La Voz Hispana de Virginia.
There is a Telemundo television station (WZTD channel 45) that is accessible via analog.
There was (maybe still are) AM Spanish stations La Equis "The X" (AM1480) and AM Spanish station La Selecta (AM1320).
There's a Latin Ballet of Va.

Aside from cultural diversity there is also religious diversity - from Chesterfield's Islamic Center of Va to The Jewish Community Center.
There's historical diversity - from the Museum of the Confederacy to the Black History Museum.
Musical diversity - from Innsbrook After Hours to Friday's At Sunset.

My point...if you haven't REALLY tried to tap into the diversity of the area then what is your gripe?
There is nothing stopping you from stepping out of your comfort zone.
Someone stated that a white person couldn't step foot near Martin Luther (old Mosby) Middle near Mosby Court just because they are white. Maybe that person is scared to do it but if you need to buy a drink or something I can assure you that the store on the corner of Mosby and Fairmount only cares about the color of the money coming out of your wallet. GREEN.
Criminals also don't discriminate. If you look like you have what they want - black, white, red, yellow - you might get targeted.

IMO diversity is not only seeing people of other races. Its also allowing them to be themselves and bring their uniqueness to the table.
That's where I agree with the OP. The Richmond region has not fully embraced all of its cultures.
IMO there is reasonable diversity here but some cultures are marginalized.
If you are going to an event marketed to appeal to one group then why would you expect to see diversity there?
I feel there should be more events that can appeal to all of Richmond's diverse cultures (like it tries to do with the Folk Festival).
Whites events are diverse - from Civil War re-enactments to NASCAR to Innsbrook After Hrs to white fans at hip hop venues and concerts.
Black events are diverse - from 2nd St Festival to Gold Bowl to Fridays At Sunset to the hardest hip hop clubs.
However, the Richmond region seems to let certain events define it more than others. But much of that has to do with the mindset of some of the people who reside here.

Old 01-14-2009, 11:43 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,703,586 times
The numbers you posted are just that, numbers. You can have 25% whites, 25% blacks, 25% hispanics and 25% asians but that does not mean they will ever interact with the other races outside of their own if they don't have to.. and that is how it is here.

I will give Richmond some credit for the Folk Festival but I still saw this there too. Not as much with the younger crowd more with the older people. The most diversity you will get here more thank likely will be a VCU event. Also I'd rather not have to drive around the city to some specific event just to have diversity it should be everywhere.

butcha didn't say they could not go there "because they were white." he meant white people would not dare go into such a community if they didn't have to.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:24 PM

1,194 posts, read 1,742,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNI View Post

Someone stated that a white person couldn't step foot near Martin Luther (old Mosby) Middle near Mosby Court just because they are white. Maybe that person is scared to do it but if you need to buy a drink or something I can assure you that the store on the corner of Mosby and Fairmount only cares about the color of the money coming out of your wallet. GREEN.
Criminals also don't discriminate. If you look like you have what they want - black, white, red, yellow - you might get targeted.

That's true.

Old 01-14-2009, 12:50 PM
CNI

194 posts, read 578,473 times
Quote:
The numbers you posted are just that, numbers.
And the opinions you posted are just that...your opinions. Or your experiences.
Another person could have completely different 1st-hand experiences.
The census data was specifically to bring some demographic facts into the discussion - since previous posts implied that, demographically, richmond was not diverse.

Quote:
Also I'd rather not have to drive around the city to some specific event just to have diversity it should be everywhere.
Fantasy. Doesn't exist. Not anywhere. Reality is calling, please answer.

Quote:
butcha didn't say they could not go there "because they were white." he meant white people would not dare go into such a community if they didn't have to.
Thus my point. If you are scared of interacting with diverse people 1st hand then don't gripe about not getting a chance to experience diversity.
I wouldn't go to Miami and not go to little Cuba. Or NYC and not go to Chinatown or Harlem. Or a southwest border city and not cross over into Mexico.
These things are not going to just come to you when you deplane at the airport.

Last edited by CNI; 01-14-2009 at 01:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Richmond