Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 05:49 PM

332 posts, read 287,512 times

Advertisements

......Long story, short; I retired in March, the timing kind of unplanned. I had an idea of what I'd like to do, in Retirement. Recently, I had been able to work PT (I'm a Nurse) giving Covid vaccines. I really enjoyed the human interaction, and the feeling of being useful. I do yoga, hike, read, see friends, volunteer, but it's so random. I'm just feeling lost and alone. Sorry for the 'downer' post. I wonder how you adapted? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2021, 05:54 PM

2,054 posts, read 4,281,209 times
How about groups with common interests of yoga, hiking and reading?

Old 06-12-2021, 06:03 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,590,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post

......Long story, short; I retired in March, the timing kind of unplanned. I had an idea of what I'd like to do, in Retirement. Recently, I had been able to work PT (I'm a Nurse) giving Covid vaccines. I really enjoyed the human interaction, and the feeling of being useful. I do yoga, hike, read, see friends, volunteer, but it's so random. I'm just feeling lost and alone. Sorry for the 'downer' post. I wonder how you adapted? Thanks
It sounds like loneliness. Loneliness, at times in life, is part of the human condition.

And if single, one can at times feel lonely too.

One needs to depend upon inner resources to get through aspects of life like loneliness, and to know one is not alone in feeling this, and that it's part of the human condition. And developing the life of the mind can help.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:09 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,892,208 times
I've been retired for 12 years. Happy no one is trying to kill me, so I've adapted pretty well.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:31 PM

43,194 posts, read 18,353,761 times
It's only been a few months. It takes a while to get into a "new life". Give it some thought and try out different things...new hobby, maybe a p/t job doing RN stuff, etc.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:34 PM

6,311 posts, read 4,210,696 times
It’s not a downer, it’s sharing how you feel and reaching out. Have you looked at volunteer opportunities in hospitals or elsewhere that are not random but require a one day a week commitment for at least a year.

Many years ago I worked on suicide crisis hotline for 6 years once a week , and it came with monthly workshops, yearly evaluations and continuous training. It was one of the most rewarding volunteer jobs of my life.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:36 PM

11,083 posts, read 6,921,266 times
It will take a while to adjust, your system is probably still in shock. It took me years to slow down, stop rushing around and get used to not having to be anywhere. On top of that, my circumstances were forcing isolation and stress (living alone and traveling 1hr each way to care for an elderly parent).

Try to focus on doing things you love. Pamper yourself. Really. Do things that make you happy. Don't feel guilty. You've earned it. Spend the money, do the thing you never thought you'd do, take risks (not dangerous ones!) Only put yourself out there if you feel like it, but nudge yourself a little if you start to get too isolated. That would only make things worse.

Make a list of the pros and cons of your current situation. I do that when I'm having a difficult time. I'm kind of in one right now and the list helped. Attitude of Gratitude and all that.

Please keep us posted as to your progress.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:40 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,989,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
You know, I envied the personnel giving the vaccinations at our Arizona mass vax sites. That feeling of being useful, there's nothing like it.

I have a friend who is a nurse and also a personal trainer. In fact, that's how I met her. She specializes in safely helping senior women get stronger. It's not hard to get PT certification. This could be another way to interact with people and believe me, your clients would be so grateful.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:49 PM

332 posts, read 287,512 times
Thank you for your information. So many options. I know I am fortunate to be retired. It's up to me to join things, and get myself out there. Connection is so important. I think i need to have a little structure; volunteer on thursdays, hike with a MeetUp group on fridays, etc...So much time, to think about how I want to spend the time I have left (-:

Old 06-12-2021, 06:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,202,570 times
Establish a routine you like. It can include whatever physical activity you enjoy and can include some interaction with others. It can also include part time or unpaid volunteer work. Include a daily treat, such as a nap or creative activity.

Consider taking a class to learn something new,

I think establishing a routine early on in retirement is helpful. The structure you establish for yourself will help you plan your days. But be open to changes in your routine, as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement