Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2021, 06:33 AM

22,165 posts, read 13,320,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
You are so determined to hate retirement. I don't get it. Retirement is just changing how you spend your time.

It's your life. It's your time. Why are you spending it in ways that make you unhappy? It makes no sense.

Go out and do something with yourself. Anything you want. Anything in the world. Do you not have any dreams or interests?
charlygal, it is abundantly clear that you "don't get it." Maybe you will when you yourself actually RETIRE, which you've said is still several years away. Maybe you won't... In the meantime, please stop following me around from thread to thread in the RETIREMENT forum berating me.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2021, 07:23 AM

6,339 posts, read 4,260,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
OP, your problem is a very easy one to solve. You're an RN, and they are much in demand everywhere. The usually useless "just go back to work" advice is actually valid in your case and exactly what you should do if that's what makes you happy... Retirement is overrated!
You’ve only been retired Two weeks , hardly enough time to know how retirement will work out for but if you’re that easily bored after two weeks I can certainly see why you have a problem with it.

Retirement isn’t for everyone for sure. I can’t say I agree it’s overrated, it’s really just another chapter in our lives and how we live it is up to us. I was very surprised by how my husband took to it, like a duck to water. This is a man with a long career as an executive,researcher,engineer, cto of a company , papers/patents etc and boom here he is loving retirement. I however found it difficult to transition and had to adapt my art practice to a new way of doing things. On the other hand I’ve discovered a love of hiking in the desert trails of Arizona in the winter/spring months. It’s all an exciting process.

Old 06-15-2021, 10:50 AM

11,179 posts, read 6,788,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
charlygal, it is abundantly clear that you "don't get it." Maybe you will when you yourself actually RETIRE, which you've said is still several years away. Maybe you won't... In the meantime, please stop following me around from thread to thread in the RETIREMENT forum berating me.

Thanks!
Such fun when the un-retired tell "us" how it should be!

I especially love all the "just do what you used to do" as if our aged bodies are just as capable.

Go water-skiing like you used to! Go summit a few 13,000' mountaintops. Like that. It's no different now than before! Sure! why not.

Because there are those .1% who still run marathons, so therefore all retirees should be able to.

Old 06-15-2021, 11:11 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,597,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I especially love all the "just do what you used to do" as if our aged bodies are just as capable.
Not do what you used to do. It's do what you can do. See the difference?

Old 06-15-2021, 02:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,901 posts, read 58,613,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You've only been retired 2 weeks (per your comment above). That's like vacation time still
A very short vacation at that. Took me 6wks+ to get into 'vacation mode' during work yrs.

Retirement... 6+ yrs? (been 16+ and I'm still 'learning' to be retired, which is a perpetual fun exploration).

But the adventure started the minute I walked out the door.

Retirement seems to have a lot of unplanned / unexpected chapters. For many, it has been planned for yrs, for others it will never be planned (nor should be).

Adrift?, find a soccer ball and name it "Wilson", start the adventure.

Your future has not been wriiten (not quite yet).
Don't burn daylight 'wondering' or 'lamenting', as the end is drawing nearer.

Some paths may be dead-ends, enjoy the journey regardless. Much of life enjoyment is from the 'unexpected' and the unplanned. (and while 'Adrift').

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 06-15-2021 at 02:43 PM..

Old 06-15-2021, 04:34 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,346,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
......Long story, short; I retired in March, the timing kind of unplanned. I had an idea of what I'd like to do, in Retirement. Recently, I had been able to work PT (I'm a Nurse) giving Covid vaccines. I really enjoyed the human interaction, and the feeling of being useful. I do yoga, hike, read, see friends, volunteer, but it's so random. I'm just feeling lost and alone. Sorry for the 'downer' post. I wonder how you adapted? Thanks
Your post is not downer at all. I see you do so many great things; and you sound very positive.

I still have many years to retirement. But I've somewhat thought of what I will do when I retire. I may do some activities as you do. I like to ride bicycle also.

I like sewing; so, I may volunteer at a long-term care centre to help the residents who live there to mend their clothes, hem pants or PJ's, or sew buttons if their clothes lose them. I like to be useful too, to keep myself busy enough and live a meaningful life even when I don’t need to work for money anymore.

I don't know what will be like in the future, but I have a few plans like that.

Old 06-16-2021, 08:56 AM

22,165 posts, read 13,320,157 times
Quote:

Or when they naively assume that all things are possible.

After all, retirement, like dying and going to heaven, means no longer being earth-bound by tedious limitations or restrictions in any physical, financial, geographic, social, or situational sense... You are restricted only by your own laziness, lack of motivation, and dearth of imagination.

Whatever you want to do, you can do it, SO JUST DO IT.

Perhaps certain as-yet-unretired posters who seem to know it all should host retirement seminars. I remember one being offered at work entitled "How to Adjust to Retirement" and laughing about it with my also as-yet-unretired friends, joking that what we needed was a "How to Adjust to Not Being Able to Retire for Five Years" seminar. For we couldn't imagine what kind of dull dolts would possibly find freedom from employment problematic.

Now I could really use the former! You don't know what you don't know until you know it.

Last edited by otterhere; 06-16-2021 at 09:07 AM..

Old 06-16-2021, 12:29 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,629,471 times
Quote:

Go water-skiing like you used to! Go summit a few 13,000' mountaintops. Like that. It's no different now than before! Sure! why not.:
Are you sure you aren't mis-reading or not remembering accurately or mis-quoting?

You have been told 'to do what you can do' on this forum - NOT 'just do what you used to do'!

You have talked about your problems with arthritis, repeated hip dislocations, and recently your inability to sit/walk in the sun like you used to do.

Plenty of us cannot even begin to do what we used to do - in no way. Just the opposite.

Last edited by matisse12; 06-16-2021 at 12:39 PM..

Old 06-16-2021, 03:23 PM

17,249 posts, read 57,339,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
...unrelated: what are reputation points?
Reputation points are the result when someone makes a positive feedback on your posts.

Old 06-16-2021, 04:16 PM

161 posts, read 131,203 times
I can't wait to retire. I hope I don't have to work PT. But I am an introvert so that is just me. Are you part of a church or other volunteer organization? That will give you the social interaction too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement