Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2021, 01:11 PM

22,140 posts, read 13,173,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
......Long story, short; I retired in March, the timing kind of unplanned. I had an idea of what I'd like to do, in Retirement. Recently, I had been able to work PT (I'm a Nurse) giving Covid vaccines. I really enjoyed the human interaction, and the feeling of being useful. I do yoga, hike, read, see friends, volunteer, but it's so random. I'm just feeling lost and alone. Sorry for the 'downer' post. I wonder how you adapted? Thanks
Same.

Officially retired two weeks (off work one month) and hating it. No apologies, however...

Following.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2021, 02:14 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,985,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
A year after I retired I went back to work as a contract employee for an agency. I enjoyed the work as a contractor for two years. I'm sure those type job situations are available for nurses. At the time my wife was still working and I was lonely at home so I went back to work. Once she retired too I quit working. If you are alone, do what you enjoy, even if that is working. Another way to deal with loneliness and have something enjoyable to do is to get a dog, but it is a commitment and sacrifice, like having a child.
Another point I would add is that after being retired for a number of years, all the retirees I know develop a routine and believe there's not enough time in the day to accomplish what they want to do.

Old 06-14-2021, 02:16 PM

22,140 posts, read 13,173,357 times
OP, your problem is a very easy one to solve. You're an RN, and they are much in demand everywhere. The usually useless "just go back to work" advice is actually valid in your case and exactly what you should do if that's what makes you happy... Retirement is overrated!

Last edited by otterhere; 06-14-2021 at 02:27 PM..

Old 06-14-2021, 02:24 PM

23,651 posts, read 14,122,765 times
Quote:
Another point I would add is that after being retired for a number of years, all the retirees I know develop a routine and believe there's not enough time in the day to accomplish what they want to do.
That's a curious point.....for I am finding that out now. That despite that I have given up drinking, hence no detox clock nor forbidden activities (like getting on a ladder), I still don't have the time to get done what I need to get done.

NOW, part of it is how much my life has changed, from going a night shift worker (very relaxed) of 25 years to a day worker (not so relaxed) at the end of my working life and other changes over the past few years.

Things that exist, that don't make sense.....but that are there.

Old 06-14-2021, 03:21 PM

43,474 posts, read 18,573,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
OP, your problem is a very easy one to solve. You're an RN, and they are much in demand everywhere. The usually useless "just go back to work" advice is actually valid in your case and exactly what you should do if that's what makes you happy... Retirement is overrated!
You've only been retired 2 weeks (per your comment above). That's like vacation time still

Old 06-14-2021, 03:25 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,985,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That's a curious point.....for I am finding that out now. That despite that I have given up drinking, hence no detox clock nor forbidden activities (like getting on a ladder), I still don't have the time to get done what I need to get done.

NOW, part of it is how much my life has changed, from going a night shift worker (very relaxed) of 25 years to a day worker (not so relaxed) at the end of my working life and other changes over the past few years.

Things that exist, that don't make sense.....but that are there.
At first you are looking for things to do when you retire. You are like a racehorse put out to pasture. But there's no reason to run anymore. So you slow down to the new pace of retirement. Then your body slows down and you may feel your age more intensely or have a whole bunch of new ailments that sap your strength and energy. We are not as young or vigorous as we were. The activities we used to accomplish in addition to a full time job and commute, are now barely doable with no job in retirement. Some people have the good health and stamina to be just as active, most of us don't.

Old 06-14-2021, 03:25 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,135,835 times
Quote:
..... Retirement is overrated!
You are not convincing most of us who are happy with retirement. I spent part of the morning doing archery. Did a few chores, took a nap and spent the last hour and a half with an Zoom critique group reviewing our paintings from last week. I had two and the group helped me pick one which is due tomorrow for an exhibition.

That beats getting up at 6 am, driving in heavy traffic for an hour, spending the next 10 hours on point and driving back home for another hour. I am not beat up and can enjoy the rest of the afternoon and evening. As much as I enjoyed many aspects of my career, I don't want to die from the stress and long, hard hours of work. I no longer need to worry about 100 employees bringing their issues to work, or worry about production failures, quality control results, supply shortages, regulatory concerns, or unhappy clients.

Old 06-14-2021, 03:45 PM

23,651 posts, read 14,122,765 times
Quote:
At first you are looking for things to do when you retire. You are like a racehorse put out to pasture. But there's no reason to run anymore. So you slow down to the new pace of retirement. Then your body slows down and you may feel your age more intensely or have a whole bunch of new ailments that sap your strength and energy. We are not as young or vigorous as we were. The activities we used to accomplish in addition to a full time job and commute, are now barely doable with no job in retirement. Some people have the good health and stamina to be just as active, most of us don't.
I have to wait till I retire for that? I'm there now!

"Once, I was a Goddess, I lived life on full after burners, but now that I have fallen from Mount Olympus, I barely have the energy for the day."

I am hoping that it is "just" an adjustment factor to my Type II (just been a year when I found out), but it may be the other things as well, such as going from a night shift job where most of the time, I cruised the Net to a day shift where I am working somewhat longer and doing more things.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:18 PM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,466,043 times
Quote:
THIS THIS THIS.

Even in the pandemic.

I have a calendar and made my spouse put ALL appointments and events up on it so he wouldn’t forget. Because we almost missed a few.

But I AM thrilled that my time is pretty much my own outside of that. Just being able to not having to get up before 6AM is a joy.

Old 06-14-2021, 05:48 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,559,975 times
Quote:
You are so determined to hate retirement. I don't get it. Retirement is just changing how you spend your time.

It's your life. It's your time. Why are you spending it in ways that make you unhappy? It makes no sense.

Go out and do something with yourself. Anything you want. Anything in the world. Do you not have any dreams or interests?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement