Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 03:53 PM

25,607 posts, read 17,334,751 times

Advertisements

Don't forget Curiosity Stream. It's only 40$ per year, or something like that.

History is my thing, but if yours is nature or science there is plenty to see.
The history of The Celts, Vikings, American history, WW2 & WW1, ancient history... you name it. It's there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 04:07 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,054,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Don't forget Curiosity Stream. It's only 40$ per year, or something like that.

History is my thing, but if yours is nature or science there is plenty to see.
The history of The Celts, Vikings, American history, WW2 & WW1, ancient history... you name it. It's there.
CuriosityStream is also free if you are an Altice/Optimum/Suddenlink customer.

Btw, you mentioned African music a while back. I bought this CD ('Egypticat') about 15 years ago and still enjoy it. The mbira is an African instrument that is sometimes called a "thumb piano."

https://www.amazon.com/Egypticat-Pat...-search&sr=8-1

Old 03-29-2020, 05:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,202,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
No need to stay up late to watch movies on their schedule. If you have TCM, you also have access to WatchTCM, where many of their movies can be seen on demand for a period of time after they've been shown live.

For example, the 1926 Buster Keaton silent movie Battling Butler, is currently available. Is that the one you watched?
Yes.

Old 03-30-2020, 08:25 AM

2,031 posts, read 1,320,882 times
Default "Dickinson" on Apple TV+

My wife wanted to watch "Dickinson", which is a show about Emily Dickinson. I knew who she was; it's about a poet who becomes a recluse in the 1800's. So right away we know there's no car chases, and, as far as I know, she hasn't shot anyone. So, What's in it for me?

I'm hooked. I can't describe it, but it seems to be exploring changes in society that largely took place in our young lifetimes and in a somewhat subtle fashion. It is also kind of artistic and kind of wacky, like she was.
I think we older people would appreciate it better than the younger folk.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:08 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,035,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
...And frankly, IMO, there's no way that Prime Video is worth $8.99/month. Hell, if it wasn't automatically included in my Prime membership, I wouldn't pay an extra 99¢ for it, much less $8.99. But if there are particular shows on it that you like, go for it.
I may have to change my mind about Prime Video. I was on another forum yesterday discussing tv shows and someone recommended an Israeli series called Srugim that ran from 2008-2012. Since I had nothing better to do/watch at the time, I thought I'd give the first episode a try just to see if I liked the series, and I ended up binging the entire 15 episode first season, finishing very late last night. I absolutely love this show, although I'm not sure that a non-Jew would or could appreciate it as much.

I'm enamored and infatuated with this show right now and can't wait to watch more episodes. The good news is that I have 30 more episodes to watch over the next few days. The bad news is that I'm going to be very depressed when I get to the end of that third and final season and deal with not having this show to watch anymore. (Unless the series really goes downhill in the second or third season, which in itself would also be disappointing.)

Here's an old trailer from when the series first came to the U.S. and was shown on TJC. No need for cable tv now though as all episodes of the series are now available on Amazon Prime Video. Be forewarned that the series is in Hebrew with English subtitles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkb1kLU799k

Old 03-30-2020, 10:01 AM

7,789 posts, read 6,404,338 times
We enjoyed some big band music last night on the Lawrence Welk show on PBS. It was free.

Other shows that we like are "Death in Paradise", Midsomer Murders and Miss Fishers Mysteries.

Many years ago we went into the hotel bar in San Jose, Costa Rica and the TV had Hogan's Heroes showing........in Spanish.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:07 AM

8,501 posts, read 6,913,511 times
Lawrence Welk’s continuing presence on television must set some kind of record. The show itself has been on Saturday night on one channel or another for at least 50 years. I can remember my late grandmother watching on a regular basis back in the mid 60’s.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:58 PM

802 posts, read 985,328 times
I'm focused on ultra-frugal(free) and non-violent.
OTA gets me LAFF, COZI, METV
(Waltons, Little House, Beverly Hillbillies, etc. I've seen them all many times)
free basic Spectrum TV in my senior apt complex with $44/mo no-cap 20mbps internet
(well worth the expense)
Pluto TV especially Naturevision to downshift completely
many other freebies on the web or Roku/Fire like Tubi, etc
Hoopla on the web through my library card
Film Detective and Internet Archive for the oldies
$2/mo Hulu on demand special rate
(had to grit my teeth to pay this and already seen most of the good stuff)
Accuradio classical, etc streaming music
Trying to avoid western gunfire, fighting but I watch GRIT OTA sometimes

I'm thinking about starting some free MIT math courses for the fun of it.
I barely remember high school and college trig, algebra, geometry, calculus.
have to start from scratch with old very cheap math books from thrift stores.

Last edited by highplainsrus; 04-02-2020 at 02:53 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement