Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 06:26 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
Can't we enjoy something that isn't for old folks??
Right here: https://www.city-data.com/forum/tv/

That is why I started this thread just for us old folks here, to watch shows about old folks or about the good old days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 08:17 AM

15,219 posts, read 10,299,568 times
Thursday is the only time that I turn the TV on during the day and that's to watch Monk on H&I (Heroes & Icons). I rarely turn the TV on before 6 p.m. It reminds me too much of being sick and watching TV all day. I've been doing a lot of reading.

I have an Apple TV so I may watch some of the shows mentioned on Hulu or Netflix when the repeats start if we are still social distancing.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:58 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
"Kingdom" (3 seasons): Stephen Fry (Jeeves and Wooster) stars in this charming British dramedy as Peter Kingdom, a compassionate solicitor running a law practice in a quaint and beautiful Norfolk town. As he handles the cases of his oddball clients, he also contends with the mysterious disappearance of his brother and the return of his wayward sister.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/deta...ason_select_s1

Dang. I don't have Amazon Prime; otherwise that would definitely be on my list.

ETA: People should check their local library to see if they have free access to Kanopy and/or Hoopla. Hoopla has a good selection of BBC series, although not all of them. Kanopy is good for documentaries.

Speaking of documentaries, if you are an Optimum/Altice or Suddenlink customer, you have free access to Curiosity Stream. The entire catalog, not just the "On Demand" selections available via your tv channel guide.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:03 AM

5,249 posts, read 3,604,666 times
Ok, so the criteria is "old folks' television" & not necessarily my favorite (nor my disliked) shows... Caveat is that all my viewing is on Amazon Prime, Netflix & Youtube (because I cut the cord years ago & OTA hardly works here).

Youtube (but on my big screen tv): has a huge amount of DIY viewing from exercise, yoga, music lessons, travel, & old tv shows from USA & UK (watching Groucho recently). Last night I watched a 90 minute BBC doc on the rise of American blues in the UK in the late '50s & how it influenced their rock music in the 60s. Also watch dog rescues & learning how to make bread from scratch too.

Prime: Dick Van Dyke; Murder She Wrote; Star Trek (original series); Mrs. Maisel; The Naked City; That Girl; I Spy; many of the Ken Burns doc series; Groucho; Laugh In; (I've become a huge fan of UK tv this past year, PG recs to follow): Downton Abbey; Unforgotten; Vera ; Endeavour; Poldark; Grantchester; ... much more.
Prime movies: Roman Holiday; The Orient Express; Moonstruck; True Grit...

Netflix: The Crown; Grace & Frankie; Cheers; Call the Midwife; Twilight Zone; The Two Popes; Great British Baking Show; Andy Griffith; Tootsie, Groundhog day; Driving Miss Daisy; Guess who's Coming to Dinner... ETA: Last Tango in Halifax (excellent show/actors That I thought had disappeared from NF)

Last edited by Hefe; 03-26-2020 at 09:46 AM..

Old 03-26-2020, 09:19 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,944,675 times
Here's a Denise Austin workout video. Try and keep up with her.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FPZKGG1X9c

Old 03-26-2020, 09:26 AM

8,755 posts, read 5,042,001 times
Animal shows, espically baby animals....find them to be relaxing, and soothing in this time.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:35 AM

4,936 posts, read 3,309,602 times
Cat train.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m384NEQZwfA

Old 03-26-2020, 09:35 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
We loved Midsomer Murders. British Murder Mystery series with ample humor. Many of the Scandinavian Police Mysteries are pretty dark

Twenty-one Seasons available IIRC, although some seasons are surprisingly short. I am pretty sure it is offered by Netflix as we have that service ourselves and are careful to not use guest rights too frequently on the services for which our kids have subscriptions.

Old 03-26-2020, 09:40 AM

4,276 posts, read 5,931,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
ETA: People should check their local library to see if they have free access to Kanopy and/or Hoopla. Hoopla has a good selection of BBC series, although not all of them. Kanopy is good for documentaries.
Our walking distance Library is closed due to the Pandemic. No books, no movies, no current magazines (other than my own subscriptions), no out-of-town newspapers, no special events........

Old 03-26-2020, 09:48 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,246,566 times
I just signed up for Disney Plus. I get a year free through Verizon and I think it's $6.99/month after the free year. I got it for my 5 year old granddaughter to watch, but discovered they have a lot of stuff I would be interested in too. They have a National Geographic series and I watched an interesting documentary about the Titanic that I had never seen before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement