Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 11:09 AM

13,261 posts, read 8,043,460 times

Advertisements

OK...I'm a boomer. I'm 60+, so I'll just list some that I've enjoyed, or I'm currently enjoying.

Hellier (mini series, Amazon, it's about supernatural stuff...documentary

Sabrina (Netflix I THINK)

Ozark https://www.google.com/search?source...=1585328695839

Mad Dogs, Amazon. I LOVED this series, but when I tell people they kind of go "ho hum". I don't know why. I think it's great. https://www.amazon.com/Mad-Dogs/dp/B00RSGGMF6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 11:33 AM

545 posts, read 1,606,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post

New season of Ozark is supposed to be released today!

Old 03-27-2020, 01:18 PM

4,541 posts, read 3,764,965 times
We watched Safe on NetFlix, a mini-series created by Harlan Corben, about a Dad’s missing daughter and dead boyfriend. It took me to the last episode to narrow it down to whodunit. Lists of twists and side stories that are woven together with flashbacks. I liked it and liked having something to look forward to each night. It’s like a good book, I feel lost and disinclined to get into another after it’s done.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:39 PM

11,177 posts, read 16,035,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luzianne View Post
I just signed up for Disney Plus. I get a year free through Verizon and I think it's $6.99/month after the free year. I got it for my 5 year old granddaughter to watch, but discovered they have a lot of stuff I would be interested in too. They have a National Geographic series and I watched an interesting documentary about the Titanic that I had never seen before.
You can get it for even less if you pay annually when the time comes. The cost is $69.99, which equates to $5.83/month.

I switched from Verizon to T-Mobile in December, but I'm still getting Disney+ free via my former Verizon contract. I guess Verizon doesn't bother to notify Disney when they lose subscribers. One of the benefits to having T-Mobile is that they give you Netflix free, so for the time being, I'm getting both services gratis.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:31 PM

5,949 posts, read 5,120,033 times
I recently did a re-scan on my TV (it was recommended by my local stations).

I do not have any type of pay TV. Only the electricity my TV takes.

One late night I couldn't find anything to watch until I settled in on an old movie. I do not know the year but it was old. If you remember the actor Thomas Mitchell, he was very young in this movie. It reminded me of movies I saw with my mother at times. We saw a lot of movies when we needed an escape and the weather was bad. One movie theater easily walked to from home and the other one a very short bus ride.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:56 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,103,876 times
Just found all seasons of Blackadder on Amazon Prime!

Dr House fans may enjoy season 3 for a different side of Hugh Laurie. Hilarious!

Old 03-28-2020, 02:16 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,054,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-all View Post
Just found all seasons of Blackadder on Amazon Prime!

Dr House fans may enjoy season 3 for a different side of Hugh Laurie. Hilarious!
And don't forget Jeeves & Wooster which is also on Amazon and on AcornTV. It ran for three seasons.

I am thinking about signing up for just Amazon Video for the duration of this. After the 30 day trial it is $8.99/month compared to "full" Amazon Prime which is $12.99/mo or $119/year --- the "full Prime" has stuff that I simply don't need or use, so I don't see the sense in paying more for that.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:49 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,202,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Amazon Prime:

"Edie" (movie): Believing that it's never too late, newly widowed Edie (Sheila Hancock) embarks on a trip to the Scottish Highlands to fulfill her dream of climbing the intimidating Mt Suilven, striking up a friendship with a young climber on the way.

https://www.amazon.com/Edie-Sheila-H...t-video&sr=1-1

"Kingdom" (3 seasons): Stephen Fry (Jeeves and Wooster) stars in this charming British dramedy as Peter Kingdom, a compassionate solicitor running a law practice in a quaint and beautiful Norfolk town. As he handles the cases of his oddball clients, he also contends with the mysterious disappearance of his brother and the return of his wayward sister.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/video/deta...ason_select_s1
Kingdom sounds like a series we would like. Stephen Fry is a good actor. I will give this a try. Thanks!

Old 03-28-2020, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
I recently did a re-scan on my TV (it was recommended by my local stations).

I do not have any type of pay TV. Only the electricity my TV takes.

One late night I couldn't find anything to watch until I settled in on an old movie. I do not know the year but it was old. If you remember the actor Thomas Mitchell, he was very young in this movie. It reminded me of movies I saw with my mother at times. We saw a lot of movies when we needed an escape and the weather was bad. One movie theater easily walked to from home and the other one a very short bus ride.
Name? Mitchell was in many movies back in the day.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:58 PM

We watch old movies, which I often have a taste for, on TCM. Sometimes the movies aren't that old, but mostly they are at least 20 years old. Often, more.

We stayed up to watch a Buster Keaton silent last Sunday night. DH was skeptical, but found himself laughing at the sight gags.

Sometimes the old movie we watch is really good. Or, sometimes it is bad. As with modern movies, some are great and others are not.

I love looking at the fashions, the haircuts, the way men and women wore their hats, the interior decor. Sometimes the acting is quite good.

We also choose movies from Netflix or Amazon. DH is rewatching Turn, a series I cannot abide. We don't always agree, as you can tell.

Tonight on Noir Alley (TCM) we'll watch an old detective movie, made no later than the early 1950s. Those are often fun, sometimes third rate, and occasionally awful. You never know. But we have watched a bunch of Humphrey Bogart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement