Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2020, 12:15 PM

50,923 posts, read 36,601,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Going back to work is what one does for financial reasons. Not boredom, unless working is a hobby in retirement.

There are a 1000 other options to do stuff in retirement

Some people are happier with structure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 12:18 PM

14,255 posts, read 14,773,589 times
My wife and I both fully retired at age 62. After a few years we each got a bit bored. Also, we could no longer fund IRA's as we had no earned income. We both took on easy, part time jobs as we wanted to feather the retirement nest a bit longer. By age 69 we both re-retired again.

Working because you want to is one issue. Working because you have to is a horse of a different color.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:13 PM

971 posts, read 690,413 times
Not quite in the same boat, but looking at taking an early retirement with a package from my current company, And starting my own business in the same field. People think I am crazy for wanting to retire at almost 60 and go in business for myself. I am tired of making someone else rich and would like to make some really good money for myself for a while.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:21 PM

344 posts, read 417,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Except NOT free to mention "work".... On C-D Retirement forum.... Fortunately the warning to NOT report all posts as 'off-topic' saved us, so a few "work" posts get to slip through.
.)
I knew I was going to get criticized for posting about considering part time work or being bored! The one other topic that brings similar criticisms are those related to living abroad! Que sera sera

Old 02-15-2020, 01:32 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,930,818 times
Where are you considering outside USA. I'd consider it someday , but I never found a good fit.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:33 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,095,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Perfect example. You could get out of the house anytime you want. You could take short road trips anytime you want.
To do that he would have expenses. Gas, wear and tear of a vehicle. He might be willing to do it for no money, but why not get paid? He did say he wanted her money. I love to drive. I would love a part time job like that. In my case it would be Cruise money.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:36 PM

15,253 posts, read 12,989,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsdad View Post
Not quite in the same boat, but looking at taking an early retirement with a package from my current company, And starting my own business in the same field. People think I am crazy for wanting to retire at almost 60 and go in business for myself. I am tired of making someone else rich and would like to make some really good money for myself for a while.
I don't think you're crazy. I think it makes a lot of sense to do it as a young senior who's comfortably situated. There'll never be a better time.

What's crazy are the people over in the Business forum who have an unproven concept but no experience, no capital and nothing to live on. They all want to know how to get a small business loan.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:48 PM

50,923 posts, read 36,601,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
To do that he would have expenses. Gas, wear and tear of a vehicle. He might be willing to do it for no money, but why not get paid? . In my case it would be Cruise money.

I would maybe do something like take a short course to become a vet assistant. It is something I always thought about because I love being around animals, but I never considered it seriously because the pay is too low. But just to keep learning, and work part-time just to have someplace I had to be, sounds nice. I would love a part time job like that. Or work a couple of days in the Activity Department of a nursing home. I'm an OT now, and when I see them baking cookies and playing poker and watching movies, while I am begging and cajoling people to come to therapy, it looks like a fun job. Plus there is nothing like working in a nursing home to make you feel young, it's the only place I have to fend off men's advances anymore, lol. Outside of my fiance anyway!

One of my best friends retired as a teacher, then went back to college and got a Master's in Counseling Psychology. She has multiple income-producing properties, a good pension, and a lifetime of smart investments and did not need more money, she just likes to learn and challenge herself.

When I was young, late teens, I used to try to finagle collecting unemployment in the summer. I always thought it was a good gig, but every time, after I started working again, my grandmother would say "OC, you look so much happier when you're working". I think I'd be happier still feeling productive, but would try to do it on my terms

Old 02-15-2020, 01:53 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,759 posts, read 58,161,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Wait, that's not quite true. The other half of the equation is not allowed to stop working a standard job until an approved age of 58 or above is reached. Maybe it's 60 and above, I'm not totally sure, it seems to be a moving number.
Just to confirm.... Unofficial rule here is age 65. We don't want to tolerate any discussion about HC options pre Medicare age. Or heaven forbid, the PT jobs that offer HC (such as Costco and Starbucks, and several others attractive to seniors).

I have always preferred working nights and weekends. OT pay and no bosses preferred. I keep and use my CDL for that purpose, but the most lucrative gigs lately have been international supply chain management, which works in Asia (= night shift from USA). Being paid for international travel is a plus. Can tag on extensive personal travel, and bring or meet spouse or kids or friends. Sweet deals and good pay (tho pay is not needed, just handy for more travel and IRA contribution.). And paying for HC pre age 65, or using opportunity for medivacation (overseas care).

'Retired' for 3rd time at age 49. Work.... Has always been fun, creative, non-primary (flex hours) . Bosses and 'crybaby' coworkers excluded.

Old 02-15-2020, 05:54 PM

1,159 posts, read 622,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
For me, I enjoy my work much more than my hobbies. And I can still do my hobbies and work.
Start a YouTube channel talking about your hobby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement