Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 08:22 AM
mlb

4,964 posts, read 4,476,923 times

Advertisements

Thankfully, I do not have to go back to work.

I gave myself a little over a year to decompress from almost 50 years of work....and have now reached the point of wanting to move forward and do stuff that I enjoy.

What are your hobbies? I know in pre-retirement I started to think of things to do - some volunteer (which honestly, started to look like work) and some things that only benefitted me....which was THE POINT. Retirement for me is taking back my life.

I have a very active 3 year old corgi - who OBSESSES over retrieving a frisbee. He really needs an outlet and needs training - so I am going to call the local dog training facility wanting to get him into acuity training. Which will get me out of the chair and running with him.

WIN!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 08:28 AM

22,165 posts, read 13,320,157 times
"I've said it many times before. I think it's sad that folks can't fill their time without an employer providing boundaries and time management."

I think it's sad that folks have to put others down for preferring to work at least part-time in retirement. You do you!

Old 02-14-2020, 08:36 AM

1,309 posts, read 870,714 times
I've been retired going on 3 years now and STILL having nightmares about work! I think going back to work even part time would depend on what kind of a job you had/what kind of work you enjoy. As for having problems to solve, I don't think that EVER goes away! I managed to put together an IKEA shelving unit a couple of weeks ago and still feeling proud of myself over that! (ok, so I put it together upside down the first go-round!) LOL! I'm also one of those boring, introvert types who enjoys watching birds at the feeder, doing crossword puzzles, reading, staring out the window at the sunshine on the snow, etc. In other words, don't feel the need for excitement, accomplishments or outside validation in my life. But, hey, to each his own!

Old 02-14-2020, 08:43 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,857,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
I've said it many times before. I think it's sad that folks can't fill their time without an employer providing boundaries and time management.

The whole "I loved my work" is a rouse. All types of work can still be done without an employer. You were an engineer? Then engineer something. Create your own engineering projects. Teach basic engineering to adults or schools.

Yeah, it all comes down to not being to design and structure ones life.

Then there is the issue of ones identity being connected to ones job.
Why do all that without getting paid. People get paid here. And even if you are right about connection to work, there’s nothing wrong with it. Nothing sad about. What’s sad is you keep mention things that are not always true to some people, you just refuse to believe it. Your theory about work doesn’t apply here, you just don’t like it and keep repeating nonsense.

Old 02-14-2020, 08:59 AM

7,898 posts, read 7,153,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post

Now, my days off are precious and the extra income isn't all that bad either.
My off days are precious and since I do not work I have lots more of them.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:02 AM

22,165 posts, read 13,320,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
My off days are precious and since I do not work I have lots more of them.
But anything that you have all the time, you naturally eventually take for granted. If every day is warm and sunny, you may enjoy it, but you lose the contrast with gray and rainy or cold and snowy that makes warm and sunny special.

Old 02-14-2020, 09:57 AM

6,844 posts, read 4,004,690 times
I did. I retired at 58-1/2 with a pension, but my wife was still working. After being home alone for a year I got very bored and lonely and tired of being a house husband doing housework, waiting for my wife to come home. That wasn't the retirement I was expecting. I applied for a job online as a contract employee monitoring and maintaining enterprise servers for Johnson and Johnson, did an online test, went for an interview and was hired through two cut out agencies. It was on a 7PM to 7AM rotating 3day/4day week schedule. I had told my wife the only job I could probably get would be on a midnight shift and she was OK with it. I really enjoyed that job on a 6 month contract. It was fast paced and I learned a lot. After that I was off for 5 months and got a second contract to work from home for 18 months doing database cleanup for my former employer. I worked a 9 hour day, 9AM to 6PM Mon-Fri. That was also very enjoyable and fast paced, all work, all day long. By the time that contract ended, my wife was retired and we had relocated, and my 62nd birthday arrived so I started drawing my SS. Haven't needed or wanted to work since. I'm 73 now. Working after retirement was a great experience for me, and financially rewarding as well. The one thing that surprised me was that there was no age discrimination at all. They just wanted someone to do the job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
Well, my retirement may be put on hold for some time. I'm going back to work, for how long I dont know, but my feeling is its going to be quite awhile. I'm looking forward to it. After three years, an I'm actually kinda bored. Anyone else get bored and gone back to work?

Last edited by bobspez; 02-14-2020 at 10:16 AM..

Old 02-14-2020, 10:07 AM
mlb

4,964 posts, read 4,476,923 times
A little over 1 year out and I, too, am having work “dreams”/nightmares.

Featuring favored coworkers. One the other day had a friend with her arm on fire.

Seriously.

Old 02-14-2020, 11:07 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,835,455 times
I went back to work as a hobby and for beer money. Instead of high-pressure IT work, I now deliver and pickup cars for a dealership. Gets me out and seeing parts of the state I've never yet seen.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:25 PM

43,841 posts, read 18,849,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
All of engineering is understanding cause and effect. It's just physics. It obeys mathematics. Every time.

For me, a perfect day is one where I face a new problem to solve.

I can't believe they paid me so well just to solve puzzles. What could be better than that?
Retired software engineer here. I got paid to go in every day and "play with computers" and make the new chips work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement