Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2020, 10:52 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,843 posts, read 58,425,117 times

Advertisements

Grandpa got injured on a tractor at age 93. He was still putting in 16 hr days.

Of course he would never have been allowed (or desired) to post on C-D 'retirement'. Forum.

Retire early, retire often.

Having always worked 3 jobs at a time, retirement would mean only having to work (2) jobs one day. Must have happened a couple times, probably when I was off work and attending a college class.

Definitely not acceptable behavior here! On C-D 'retirement'(?) Forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2020, 01:40 AM

676 posts, read 727,345 times
Everyone is different. And it’s ok peeps. I went back to work and I’m loving it and the extra money.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:41 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,967,366 times
My only real hobby is riding motorcycles, which I can incorporate into my work, at least in summer. We did travel 3 years full time in an RV, but that got old, so we sold our rig and bought a house last summer.

Old 02-15-2020, 03:58 AM

23,343 posts, read 29,223,237 times
There's myriad opportunities for volunteerism. In my own community, I've become the Painter Extraordinaire, making my community more beautiful by the day, and all work is an act of love. When I run out of things to paint here, there's a big hospital complex a block away, always looking for volunteers. This complex spreads over 3 blocks, so there must be some touch up painting that needs to be done. Or some windows that need cleaning?

My last 17 years before retiring I worked as a Nursing Assistant, and that's the very last volunteerism I want to do. No patient contact, please!

There's a retired man in my community that fixes little things in people's houses, all for free, you just supply the parts. My cousin-in-law does that in a 55+ community in Phoenix, one of these types that needs to be doing something feeling useful. Doesn't need the money, keeps him from going crazy!

Old 02-15-2020, 10:02 AM

15,099 posts, read 12,284,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I went back to work as a hobby and for beer money. Instead of high-pressure IT work, I now deliver and pickup cars for a dealership. Gets me out and seeing parts of the state I've never yet seen.
Sounds like fun.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:12 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,570,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I went back to work as a hobby and for beer money. Instead of high-pressure IT work, I now deliver and pickup cars for a dealership. Gets me out and seeing parts of the state I've never yet seen.
Perfect example. You could get out of the house anytime you want. You could take short road trips anytime you want.

Yet, you needed an employer to tell you where to go and force you out the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
I don't know why this is a debate. Go back to work if you want to. Either way, it's your life.
No debate. Just a discussion. Adults are free to do whatever they want to do.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,843 posts, read 58,425,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

No debate. Just a discussion. Adults are free to do whatever they want to do.
Except NOT free to mention "work".... On C-D Retirement forum.... Fortunately the warning to NOT report all posts as 'off-topic' saved us, so a few "work" posts get to slip through.

Hope I'm always able and willing to work, but I play a lot. Very seldom 'retire' (no TV, never golfed or gone to an execise gym), travel often, usually to work , help others for free.

There are some really pleasant seniors working in nearby businesses. A 76 yo gal is a smiley, joking favorite. She works 3 jobs at the moment. All are quite tough. Fast food, housekeeping at local state hospital, house cleaning for retired wealthy. (They are picky, demanding, and grumpy, usually because they spend too much time watching for their direct deposit gov pension check. .... Weekends happen, and they can delay payment on occasion.)

Old 02-15-2020, 10:54 AM

15,254 posts, read 13,058,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Yet, you needed an employer to tell you where to go and force you out the house.

Stop with the judgments. Just stop.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:35 AM

18,448 posts, read 15,901,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Except NOT free to mention "work".... On C-D Retirement forum..
Wait, that's not quite true. The other half of the equation is not allowed to stop working a standard job until an approved age of 58 or above is reached. Maybe it's 60 and above, I'm not totally sure, it seems to be a moving number.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:56 AM

5,236 posts, read 4,702,403 times
Some people are just wired to be active the entire day, not an altogether bad bent, but, it sure seems to rile the masses when work is mentioned here on the forum. Who really wants to judge someone about what the guy thinks, what he/she's doing, where they live, what their kids are doing etc.

I like the idea that we can come here to just talk about what's on our minds, and in doing do, understand the need to just listen or move on. Personally, I believe we should do what makes us happy, work, don't work, travel, or not, move or stay put, I find it all beneficial to my own ability to make good decisions, listening to the way others have dealt with life can be so helpful, to the OP I say good luck in finding your own brand of happiness and contentment..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement