Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 09:09 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,236,598 times

Advertisements

Since retiring, I haven't been nearly as goal oriented as I was while working. I have enjoyed not "driving" myself, but sort of pleasantly drifting through the year. Unfortunately, I am also not doing some of the things I looked forward to, and hoped to do during retirement, and am concerned if I don't set some goals, I just won't "get around to" doing a lot of things I want to do, before I truly can't physically do them.

This year, I think I am going back to goal setting, however the goals will be quite different than when I was working. I have a daughter and a son who have both asked I write some stories from my youth for their children. I have two motorcycle trips I have wanted to take for years, and in four years of retirement, still have not taken them. Books that remain unread while the TV remains on. Those type of things are not getting done because I am not planning for and doing them - a comfortable routine has replaced "getting things done!"

Anybody else sort of "drifting" in retirement? Are you getting done those things you wanted to do in retirement, and if so are you goal setting, or how are you following through?

I am not complaining about being retired, it is quite pleasant, but I feel I am wasting a lifetime's opportunity by not being proactive about doing things I never had time for before I retired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 09:12 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
Do you still set goals?

Nope, my time is mine. I don't feel like I am required to be productive for the collective.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:20 AM

43,094 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Yes, I set goals. Some are tangible while others are intangible. Some are short term (within a year) and others long term with short term goal posts. I also don't try to have too many goals so I can focus on them yet be able to have days where I let the wind take me to wherever without feeling guilty.

I've been lucky and have resisted the urge to turn on the TV. I know too many that have done that and 1 hour turns into 2 hours turns into 3 hours and so on.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:23 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
I never set goals while working except to get into work and slog on.

Never was a type A personality. I guess it's a goal to work on health and vigor (ongoing) and get to some of the more outdoor activities in this beautiful area. I guess I don't think of that as goals but as a good use of time and energy. I did most of the things I wanted to while working and whatever its flaws, my working was productive in general (night RN in a big psychiatric hospital). I still want to be a plus in my community but not for money. No goals, no. Maybe a concept by which to proceed.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:42 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,760,547 times
Yes, I still have, I don’t see why not. Clean up my garage is one, it has been 4 years now, but last boxed 15 years ago. It’s down to 3/8 of the way. My husband and I are more eager to get down to zero so he can park his sport car, I mean future sport car.
I set financial goals every year and gardening goal. Weight goal. But they are loosely set goals, not hard and fast.

Last edited by NewbieHere; 12-28-2019 at 10:51 AM..

Old 12-28-2019, 09:45 AM

2,159 posts, read 1,664,651 times
I have small goals..... waking up in the morning LOL that's a joke

but really, a five year plan for the yard which requires me to get things planted NOW.

I've already dealt with a large brush pile on the back of my property and been to the nursery to pick out trees. Next step is to tell them to come plant them. I will do that SOON.

I finally made my will and final arrangements after talking about it for at least 10 years.

Most things have to do with the house I bought about 5 years after I retired. Before that, I was sort of drifting. I found retirement to be safe and sometimes boring.... and yes, I was watching too much tv. I needed the rest but I wouldn't want to spend the remainder of my life that way.

I don't hold myself to a strict routine but I am aware that I no longer have all the time in the world.

Do write for your children. My mother did this and it means a lot to me and my kids. I took a computer class and got online for the first time when I retired. I got interested in geneology and matched my mother's manuscript to people and places. One of my boys was able to find a house she had lived in as a child on a trip west.

Old 12-28-2019, 09:58 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,768,427 times
I set goals, mostly to avoid just frittering away my time. I know from experience I feel better if I am accomplishing things, so I keep a short list of things to get done in the short term and long term. A lot of it is around traveling and places I want to see.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:18 AM

1,304 posts, read 855,905 times
Most of my goals seem to revolve around this house I bought six months ago....need to rework the laundry room to include a 1/2 bath, want to rebuild the garage that was torn down, and put in an above ground pool....these things should keep me busy for a couple of years! Once my 16-year-old cat passes away, plan to do more traveling, before I get too old! More short-term goals are the usual around getting into a regular exercising routine, losing weight, etc. I think I actually have more goals now than when working...I never had the time or energy for much beyond dealing with working and commuting.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:18 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,702,413 times
Yes, I still set some goals. Unlike during earlier phases of my life, though, they are entirely of MY choosing, and I give them much more flexibility of schedule. These goals tend to be invisible to others who look solely for “metrics” rather than longterm qualities such as depth of knowledge.

Of course, there are numerous very small mundane goals, things that I don’t think twice about.

Old 12-28-2019, 10:50 AM

2,104 posts, read 1,933,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Clean up my garbage is one, it has been 4 years now, but last boxed 15 years ago. It’s down to 3/8 of the way
I know you meant garage and not garbage but my nose got wrinkled when I first read the sentence ;-)

Back to the OP question. I don't set goals but do have my mental list of tasks and set my objectives.

It's much easier to get things done when you break your 'goals' or projects into small tasks and set your objectives/timeline, just one step at a time.

Last edited by BellaDL; 12-28-2019 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement