Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2020, 07:40 PM

11,117 posts, read 7,180,697 times

Advertisements

Nah, no more goal setting. Funny thing is, things work out better that way. Not sure why, but there may be some perverse cause and effect games going on backstage (i.e. mind games that normally get in the way).

It's good to experiment and try different approaches. You never know; you find yourself breaking assumptions and shattering myths that run counter to intuition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2020, 08:54 PM

4,042 posts, read 2,910,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
What system do you use to keep track of your matrix? Do you use a spreadsheet. Or similar? I struggle with this. My week gets too busy with commitments I enjoy and some days I just want long stretches of time just Being, catching up with things I want to not NEED to do.

I just use a regular planner/appointment book with a one-week spread and a "to do" list on each week's spread. I used to use an electronic version in my working days. It was associated with the company's email system and the name of the program escapes me now that I'm retired.

Knowing that I've noted the goal or task on the page/week that I need to take care of it allows me time to "be".

Old 01-03-2020, 08:16 AM

48,542 posts, read 34,904,021 times
Yes, I have a lot of goals set, everything from what I want to accomplish the next day, to what I want to accomplish in the next year. If I don't have a list, whether literal or mental, then I get nothing done, and while that may be fine for a day, I couldn't do it for a week.

Drifting would make me feel..... I dunno - less? I like the feeling of accomplishing things, and really, it is easy to accomplish things when you have nothing but free time.

But to each their own, there is no right or wrong way to live in retirement.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 01-03-2020, 09:07 AM

2,759 posts, read 2,053,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBCjunkie View Post
My goal is to avoid setting goals, because that's just a recipe for frustration.
Upon reflection, I misspoke about this because I do set goals in the sense that I have a daily (and weekly) to-do list. But that has always been because, literally, "if it's not on the list, it doesn't exist", LOL

I would forget to do half the things on any given day's list if I didn't write them down, because I'm easily distracted from anything that I am not highly motivated to do. This is a trait I've had all my life, not just in retirement; to say that self-discipline has never been my strong suit would be a massive understatement.

So I kind of do set goals, the difference is that I'm well aware that there won't be any TERRIBLY negative consequences if I end up not doing the things on the list today, tomorrow, next week, etc. Thus, I don't consider them "goals." More like they are "gentle reminders of things that I really should do but the world won't come to an end if I don't."

Old 01-03-2020, 09:42 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,714,531 times
I often need a daily To Do list to keep me from forgetting or being distracted from some important things. At the same time, it usually has a lot of flexibility built in, and some days I don’t need to make such a list. When I was working, the TDL was crucial every day, all year.

Old 01-03-2020, 10:28 AM

3,103 posts, read 2,229,924 times
The only resolution we have is to try to care for our health. No one else can do it for us. The following timely article from the NY Times captures some of what we do already - https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/03/o...th-advice.html. Recommend it highly...

The other part is exercise - which we do quite a bit and it is a matter of continuing, and portion control - something I am terrible at.

Old 01-03-2020, 12:27 PM

15,996 posts, read 7,048,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
I just use a regular planner/appointment book with a one-week spread and a "to do" list on each week's spread. I used to use an electronic version in my working days. It was associated with the company's email system and the name of the program escapes me now that I'm retired.

Knowing that I've noted the goal or task on the page/week that I need to take care of it allows me time to "be".
My husband had a planner as well when he was still working. Now he simply makes a list. The problem is once the item is on the list it is as if it is as good as done. Except that it is not
I just make small list of things and score it off as the day goes. After reading your post today I made a matrix on the same piece of paper, important and urgent, important not urgent and so on. It felt good.. but not done yet

Old 01-03-2020, 01:09 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,775,561 times
My list is my head, my husband does one thing at a time. Yesterday he redid our walking path, removed some bumpy stones, this is for when we get older we might trip on these bumpy stones. There’s more to do though.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:56 AM

4,539 posts, read 6,808,117 times
I try to establish routines for regularly occurring things like healthy eating, exercise, education, use of time, etc. I have some financial goals that relate to maintaining an income level in retirement and life fulfillment goals. I find if I don't set routines I could easily waste my day away.

Old 01-05-2020, 02:52 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,775,561 times
I did want to get out and do more physical activities. Finally I signed up for our first meetup for the year, with the same group we went with last year. 5 miles hike. We get to see our local area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement