Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2019, 10:52 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,775,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaDL View Post
I know you meant garage and not garbage but my nose got wrinkled when I first read the sentence ;-)
I think sometime my texts are auto corrected and I don’t check it after I posted. Thanks for letting me know. I fixed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2019, 11:15 AM

1,829 posts, read 2,238,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I set goals, mostly to avoid just frittering away my time. I know from experience I feel better if I am accomplishing things, so I keep a short list of things to get done in the short term and long term. A lot of it is around traveling and places I want to see.
This is what I think I need to start doing - I feel I am frittering time away. I have no interest in being "goal driven" or "metric driven," but I do want to make sure I plan and do things that are important to me on a personal level.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:31 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,285,807 times
yes - My goal for this coming year is to purge my closet of everything i do not use. Streamline my mail - purge things i let hang around.

Clear my mind of what i major task I will undertake once i turn 60

Old 12-28-2019, 11:32 AM

106,770 posts, read 108,973,015 times
My goal is to stay alive and financially solvent...

Old 12-28-2019, 11:32 AM

12,062 posts, read 10,285,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcomputer View Post
I have small goals..... waking up in the morning LOL that's a joke

but really, a five year plan for the yard which requires me to get things planted NOW.

I've already dealt with a large brush pile on the back of my property and been to the nursery to pick out trees. Next step is to tell them to come plant them. I will do that SOON.

I finally made my will and final arrangements after talking about it for at least 10 years.

Most things have to do with the house I bought about 5 years after I retired. Before that, I was sort of drifting. I found retirement to be safe and sometimes boring.... and yes, I was watching too much tv. I needed the rest but I wouldn't want to spend the remainder of my life that way.

I don't hold myself to a strict routine but I am aware that I no longer have all the time in the world.

Do write for your children. My mother did this and it means a lot to me and my kids. I took a computer class and got online for the first time when I retired. I got interested in geneology and matched my mother's manuscript to people and places. One of my boys was able to find a house she had lived in as a child on a trip west.
hope to have a better garden next summer. The heat was brutal this year and my tomatoes just fried away in the sun

Old 12-28-2019, 11:54 AM

43,174 posts, read 18,318,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
hope to have a better garden next summer. The heat was brutal this year and my tomatoes just fried away in the sun
When I lived in Texas I planted my garden so it had the morning sun with afternoon shade.
Triple degree days will kill anything left in direct sunlight.

My veggies thrived and my tomato plant produced well into October.

Old 12-28-2019, 11:58 AM

29 posts, read 29,260 times
I don't remember a time in my life I have never not set goals. I'll be 50 in 2020, and I'm sure when I do retire I will still be setting goals.

Old 12-28-2019, 12:10 PM

33,286 posts, read 26,487,831 times
My goals are to stay as physically and mentally fit as I can as I get older, and to increase in those areas where I can, as well as to grow spiritually. And to become more mellow and keep enjoying good chill and lounge music.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:26 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,762,425 times
Yes I set goals. First is get out of bed in the morning. That done, I then decide on the rest of the day.

Old 12-28-2019, 05:41 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,290,237 times
Yes. I call them my New Year's Resolutions. For the last I don't know how many years the number one goal/resolution is to lose 10 lbs. It STILL hasn't happened. But, most have to do with my house-organize this room or that, work on the garage, have this or that done to the house. But starting this year, I have also included a "summer reading list." I really enjoyed reading the books I did this summer so I am going to have another list of books to read-not just during the summer. I just haven't had time in the past couple of months.

I keep a journal. One of the first entries of the new year, I write down these goals/resolutions. Then at the end of the year, I revisit them and see if I have accomplish them. I confess, I don't always succeed.

I also wake up in the morning and think about what I want to accomplish-mostly it has to do with the house-doing laundry, or cleaning a certain room.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement