Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2019, 10:26 AM

89,135 posts, read 85,814,366 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYgal1542 View Post
Maybe I'm just crazy but I even tell my cats I love them. They deserve it.
You kiss them, too, don't you? I do!

It's worse. I had four cats. Now only one is still living. But sometimes I say hello to the little wooden boxes in my room that hold the ashes of the other three...

Hey, for a few years, it was the five of us living together and sharing the couch when I got home from work at night. They were my family.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:13 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,925,174 times
Like many people in this thread, my parents have been dead for quite some time - well before I was ever a "senior" or retired.The most recent death was my husband's mother in 2008. They had a complicated relationship and I don't think there was a lot of affection or admiration ever expressed from either side.

Probably not as common then as now, but I am (was, whatever) an only child and I was born when my parents were 34 and 38. Likewise my husband, whose parents were slightly older than mine.
City-Data Terms of Service: https://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: https://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2019, 11:48 AM

5,951 posts, read 5,148,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You kiss them, too, don't you? I do!

It's worse. I had four cats. Now only one is still living. But sometimes I say hello to the little wooden boxes in my room that hold the ashes of the other three...

Hey, for a few years, it was the five of us living together and sharing the couch when I got home from work at night. They were my family.

Yes I do, on the top of their heads. They expect it now.

I've always had a cat family. The only ones who are consistent!

Old 12-19-2019, 11:36 PM

11,679 posts, read 12,836,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Very similar age for me too, 37 and 42.

Same here. Too late now. Pretty sure that they already knew how much they meant to me and i to them before they passed.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:28 AM

15,260 posts, read 13,117,246 times
Quote:
Yes I do, on the top of their heads. They expect it now.
I've always had a cat family. The only ones who are consistent![/quote]

My MIL always said she preferred cats to kids.

And yes, I told her I loved her before she died.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:32 AM

359 posts, read 234,536 times
Sorry but no. She made me feel awful about myself from early childhood and it continues today.(She's 93). I am polite & respectful. That's the best that I can offer.

Old 12-23-2019, 08:42 AM

37,840 posts, read 46,466,324 times
Quote:
I understand that many of us grew up with parents who were not the loving people they should have been. I am not implying they deserve sweet words if they never did anything to deserve them.

But I recently read in a Dear Abby column that two men (not same family) have done this and shortly afterward the parent passed away. I thought it was a really loving thing to do. At the end of life with all the infirmities the elderly suffer, to tell them they are loved must give them a wonderful feeling that they are loved. I think many parents understand they could have done a better job (including me).

I imagine it would provide peace of mind to these people before they pass on.
I have certainly told my parents that I love them, many many times over the years.

I don’t have a lot of respect left for my dad, other than for the simple fact that he’s my father. But as a person and as the husband of my mother, he lost much of my respect years ago. Pretty sure he is very aware of at least some of his shortcomings, but others, he is just oblivious.

Old 12-23-2019, 09:44 AM

18,625 posts, read 16,068,241 times
Since my father died my mother and I make sure to say ILY at the end of every phone call even though we have our differences.

My pet(s) always get told they're loved and adored and they're shown it too (spoiled).

Old 12-23-2019, 10:19 AM

89,135 posts, read 85,814,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Like many people in this thread, my parents have been dead for quite some time - well before I was ever a "senior" or retired.The most recent death was my husband's mother in 2008. They had a complicated relationship and I don't think there was a lot of affection or admiration ever expressed from either side.

Probably not as common then as now, but I am (was, whatever) an only child and I was born when my parents were 34 and 38. Likewise my husband, whose parents were slightly older than mine.
That's how it will be for my daughter. She was born when I was 33 and her father was 35, and she's an only.

In my immediate family, it's varied. There are seven of us. My father died 20 years ago, but my mother is still living at 91. My oldest sister is 69 and retired, but my youngest brother was born when my mother was a few months short of 41 and my dad was 48. Different perspective and different relationships with the parents, too.

Old 12-23-2019, 06:32 PM

7,854 posts, read 6,494,592 times
I have mostly run out of elders. My sister is 91 and my sister-in-law is 94. Our kids and grandkids still love us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement