Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 05:59 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,857,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
My friend, DH and myself, all age range 65 to 70 went to a large catering hall that has a buffet lunch on Thanksgiving at $40 per person. We were seated near the entrance at a table for 3, went up to get some food and sat down to eat. Our water glasses were not filled and remained so for 20 minutes.
Who was to serve us was vague as one waitress was taking care of people to the right of us and another taking care of the people on our left. Each table was clearly marked with a number and wasn't it their business to know who was to serve us? Our plates were empty then and were to be removed by the waitress who as yet had not appeared. They were busy taking care of tables, larger and smaller. We placed some of the used plates on the waitress's cart. Spying a pitcher of water there for refills, I got up to fill the glasses at my table with water. I was feeling invisible!
I was hoping to treat myself to a mixed drink, which at this point I felt I'd earned after a half hour without anything to drink. I decided to go to a nearby waitress and ask if my table was assigned to her. She acted as if we had previously not been there and proceeded to take our drink orders. She waited on us after that, but in pondering her lack of response at first, I just had to wonder, as senior citizen are we really "invisible?" Do I write a letter of complaint because someone holds the the society-wide held view that seniors are "invisible?" Did we look like people who wouldn't tip?
Have you ever been treated like you are "invisible?"
You are projecting "age" into this but it was actually just poor service and lousy organizational skills. First of all, a "large catering hall" is not generally run by a staff that knows their jobs, like you would find in an established restaurant. They hire temp help who are not well trained or knowledgeable in that position.

Next year, take your $ 40 and go to a good restaurant where the staff are professionals and the management is there to make sure you are well taken care of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2019, 08:20 AM

11,177 posts, read 16,028,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
OP let me apologize to you for those who seem so sure you were not treated differently because of your age. I wonder how many of them are old enough to have experienced age discrimination. They dismiss your years of experience eating out and knowing when you are being over looked or ignored. They make up excuses for the staff and it being busy ignoring you were there and smart enough despite your age to know what happened and what you saw,
You really wonder how many people on a retirement forum are old enough to have experienced age discrimination? Seriously?

Quote:
I believe it was age bias and see clear evidence many responders here suffer with the same .approach to seniors that is dismissing you for some reason that makes sense to them. Age bias is rampant especially in the younger set. its a country wide problem that is epidemic.
And your belief is based on what, exactly? Just because the OP is an older person? Ridiculous. I absolutely guarantee you that other people who are much younger than the OP were also "invisible" to an extremely overworked staff trying to keep up on a major holiday.

Quote:
Sure our minds slow down as we age and we take a little longer to do the same things we did faster when younger but don't look at us or act like we are to be put aside and not too bright because we are slower as we age.
Apparently so.

Old 12-02-2019, 04:48 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,848,892 times
Quote:
OP let me apologize to you for those who seem so sure you were not treated differently because of your age. I wonder how many of them are old enough to have experienced age discrimination. They dismiss your years of experience eating out and knowing when you are being over looked or ignored. They make up excuses for the staff and it being busy ignoring you were there and smart enough despite your age to know what happened and what you saw,

I believe it was age bias and see clear evidence many responders here suffer with the same .approach to seniors that is dismissing you for some reason that makes sense to them. Age bias is rampant especially in the younger set. its a country wide problem that is epidemic.

Sure our minds slow down as we age and we take a little longer to do the same things we did faster when younger but don't look at us or act like we are to be put aside and not too bright because we are slower as we age.
The OP and her companions aren't even very old. Why blame the situation on being old?

Old 12-02-2019, 04:57 PM

61,753 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
The OP and her companions aren't even very old. Why blame the situation on being old?
I think people should first blame themselves before trying to blame others or circumstances.
All they really need to do to VOICE their needs. Otherwise, everyone else would just think they are content.
Nowadays, I EXPECT nothing. If I want something, I make sure that I am heard.

Old 12-02-2019, 07:00 PM

1,559 posts, read 1,051,585 times
As others have said, I think this is a case of overworked staff.

To me, age discrimination would be being given an out of the way table, rather than up front and visible, in a nice restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement