Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 08:12 AM

11,286 posts, read 9,915,658 times

Advertisements

It beats "Talk to the hand" or "whatever".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 08:13 AM

31,702 posts, read 41,187,301 times
I just learned this expression a couple of days ago. Never could understand why Boomers are dismissive of younger generations. Knocking them is knocking our parenting skills. Many of us are proud of the job we did. The reverse is true as many younger folks are proud/thankful of the job their parents did raising them.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:25 AM

6,336 posts, read 4,260,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I posted a thread on this to another forum last week. I am a boomer - I think it's dumb, AND I understand it. The millennials have been whipped by boomers for their lack of motivation, etc. - and now they are standing up, asserting themselves. We kind of did the same thing in response to the "establishment."

It is a very dismissive phrase.

It must be horrible, though, to see old people wherever you go - and the old drivers are getting ridiculous - so many of them (us) and they are just going to get older and older and more dangerous on the road, and more irritating, in general.

Pretty sure the millennials would like to see us dead sooner rather than later.
Except if you look at the stats its not the boomers who are the most dangerous drivers According to insurers it's people in their early 20's.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:36 AM

14,513 posts, read 14,508,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
If you don't know what it is, GOOGLE it. You will know soon.

I am NOT. For a multitude of reasons. It's dismissive and ageist, to begin with. There is more, but let's start with that.

What are YOUR thoughts?
I don't like it, Sheena, but there is a saying that "those who sew the wind, reap the whirlwind".

The world is not black and white and some boomers have behaved more honorably than others, but at age 60, I find myself questioning much of what has happened to the world while our generation has been in the driver's seat.

A few things that bother me:

1. Those who continue to pretend climate change is not an issue when it is.

a. Those who pretend it is not an issue use it to justify continuing activities which make the problem worse.

b. Another group simply chooses to ignore the "climate change" issue and pretend that "all is well".

2. Those who refuse to accept the idea that medicare and social security need to be fixed to guarantee their future solvency for the future generations.

3. Those who voted for and are in some cases the most enthusiastic supporters of a corrupt chief executive who clearly is out for "No. 1".

4. Those among us seniors who support the $1 trillion dollar annual budget deficit our government is running during boom times and refuse to accept responsibility for the fact this has happened while they have been on watch.

5. Those of us who stood by while tuition at colleges became sky-high and try to tell generation X and the millennials that "things are easier today" than they were for our generation who paid very little for our education.

Oh, I'll probably be panned for saying all this. But it doesn't particularly surprise me that the younger generation has developed this dismissive label of "ok, boomer". At some point, we should have expected a backlash.

I just want the record to reflect that I wasn't standing by when this happened. I have recognized the climate change issue. I think a good start on fixing it would shutting down all coal-fired power plants and demanding greater emission standards for automobiles. I have supported tax increases and increased retirement ages to bolster medicare and social security. I did not vote for the current chief executive. I believe reducing the budget deficit is a high priority. Finally, I have protested tuition hikes at public colleges and universities.

I fear the divide between our generation and younger ones will only grow.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:40 AM

6,336 posts, read 4,260,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeriously View Post
I didn't leave anyone with anything. Broad brush generalities are damaging. I was born in 1950 and I've cared about our planet and the environment since forever. I am not part of the aging society that put the buffoon in the White House (I remind my grandkids of this often so I won't be remembered as part of today's problem) I protest on corners with people of all ages who care to make a difference and as far as millennials go, I've got three nieces, not a one of them who can be woven into the same tapestry. One is a journalist and a state delegate, the other two are on the mommy track, one votes and the other one probably never voted. Generalities show a pinched vision of society. Okay Boomer?

Yep, we used to watch films at school late 50's talking about the smog and the damage by industrial waste, ddt etc. I remember clearly learning about the ozone layer and protecting our planet. All the protections we have in place (some currently being degraded by special business interests) are there because boomers fought for them, the epa was created in 1970, clean water act in 1972, endangered species act 1973, and the anti nuclear activism at Three Mile Island who fought and won a lawsuit..The usa and many other countries exacted programs etc to combat environmental issues. Either it's a lack of understanding or knowing history or the height of arrogance by youth to presume that only THEY know and care about the environment. I agree, it's a very much pinched vision of society.

Last edited by Spuggy; 11-09-2019 at 08:49 AM..

Old 11-09-2019, 08:48 AM

20,175 posts, read 9,700,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
So is Generation Jones, which is the latter half of the baby boom, and encompasses the generation of those of us born 1954 - 1965.

We are lumped in with the earlier boomers because we were part of the continued high birth rated. But there are a lot of very important differences between us.

Between Woodstock and Lollapalooza, between 'Turn on, tune in, drop out' and 'Just Say No,' and between Dylan going electric and Nirvana going unplugged, an invisible generation has been silent.

Originally, GenJonesers were mistakenly lumped in with Boomers because of their mutually high birth rates. But generations stem from shared formative experiences, not head counts. Over time, the original mistaken Boomer Generation definition has become widely discredited, with many top experts now embracing Generation Jones as a distinct generation.
Well, I was born in 1953 and my husband was born in 1956, and there is absolutely no difference in our general life experiences or attitudes. Again, YMMV.

There are, however, a LOT of differences between us and my sisters born in in 1960 and 1964 regarding general attitudes, as well as tastes in music, for example -- but, then, many people of every generation now are conservatives as well as liberals, and I agree that, generally speaking, younger people are much more open to new technology than older people are.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,517,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I don't like it, Sheena, but there is a saying that "those who sew the wind, reap the whirlwind".

The world is not black and white and some boomers have behaved more honorably than others, but at age 60, I find myself questioning much of what has happened to the world while our generation has been in the driver's seat.

A few things that bother me:

1. Those who continue to pretend climate change is not an issue when it is.

a. Those who pretend it is not an issue use it to justify continuing activities which make the problem worse.

b. Another group simply chooses to ignore the "climate change" issue and pretend that "all is well".

2. Those who refuse to accept the idea that medicare and social security need to be fixed to guarantee their future solvency for the future generations.

3. Those who voted for and are in some cases the most enthusiastic supporters of a corrupt chief executive who clearly is out for "No. 1".

4. Those among us seniors who support the $1 trillion dollar annual budget deficit our government is running during boom times and refuse to accept responsibility for the fact this has happened while they have been on watch.

5. Those of us who stood by while tuition at colleges became sky-high and try to tell generation X and the millennials that "things are easier today" than they were for our generation who paid very little for our education.

Oh, I'll probably be panned for saying all this. But it doesn't particularly surprise me that the younger generation has developed this dismissive label of "ok, boomer". At some point, we should have expected a backlash.

I just want the record to reflect that I wasn't standing by when this happened. I have recognized the climate change issue. I think a good start on fixing it would shutting down all coal-fired power plants and demanding greater emission standards for automobiles. I have supported tax increases and increased retirement ages to bolster medicare and social security. I did not vote for the current chief executive. I believe reducing the budget deficit is a high priority. Finally, I have protested tuition hikes at public colleges and universities.

I fear the divide between our generation and younger ones will only grow.
"Sow." Not "sew."

I am a younger Boomer. I've been hearing about "climate change" my entire life. Except when I was younger, it was a coming Ice Age. But my point is that it's not a new concept - or a new issue. It was "my generation" that started sounding the alarm.

I do think that the rise in costs of education is ridiculous and needs to be addressed. By someone. Somewhere. That being said, no one asked me before costs started rising. I am not going to take blame for this. And for the record, I became an adult during a serious recession, during very tumultuous times world wide, economically, terroristically, you name it. Upheaval, turmoil, absolutely unbelievable interest rates, embargoes, assasination attempts (and successes), you name it. I have never, ever told anyone younger than me that "they have it easier than I did" from a generational standpoint, but I do think that many people are simply not aware (short memories, or maybe they've never been taught history) of the challenges that EVERY generation has faced. Heck, my dad fought in Vietnam - involuntarily. That sucks. Whose fault was that? His dad's generation? Well, whose fault was WW2, WW1, etc etc.

Heck, my grandmother only had an 8th grade education - because that was as far as schools in her area WENT when she was growing up. She really did walk barefoot several miles to school many a day. She lived through the Depression and grew up without indoor plumbing or electricity. Whose fault is that?

As the song goes, every generation blames the one before. This is not news, it's not surprising, and it doesn't particularly bother me. After all, I grew up hearing "Don't trust anyone over 30," myself.

Last edited by KathrynAragon; 11-09-2019 at 09:10 AM..

Old 11-09-2019, 08:52 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,857,572 times
I have to turn the lights off in my household when the millennials are here, why? I have to pay for them. How many people here who believe in climate change and do their own composting, raise your hand as one commercial says. I have 4 large bins for composting for almost 20 years. I do the walk, not just the talk. Just saying.

Old 11-09-2019, 08:55 AM

1,574 posts, read 3,308,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
Yep. These morons are unable to think for themselves.

The result of living their entire lives staring at a 5" screen, waiting for "likes". Pathetic indeed.
Interestingly similar to much of the Boomer cohort, only with a much larger screen, often tuned to Fox News.

Old 11-09-2019, 09:10 AM

43,840 posts, read 18,849,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
So is Generation Jones, which is the latter half of the baby boom, and encompasses the generation of those of us born 1954 - 1965.

The peak of boomer births was 1957 yet you say 1954 is part of the "latter half" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement