Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 06:55 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,989,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
It's the latest cool thing to say on social media. I find it fascinating how the twitter crowd is so easily led and how quickly they form a herd of lemmings.
Exactly. I don't care about the phrase itself, but it's indicative of the negative power of social media to degrade the behavior of people.

Generally speaking, if you don't agree with somebody, you should discuss ideas on their merits, not disparage people because of their age.

I myself am no big fan of the boomers. I think the millennials are basically latter day boomers. The boomers were quite a bit like them when they were young, but I imagine most millennials wouldn't know enough history to know that, nor would they have enough self-awareness.

Of course, I am generalizing here, and I would never disparage an individual person based upon the age group to which he/she belongs. I wouldn't do that to boomers or millennials, but I do think that the millennials are a lot like the younger boomers and will probably turn out like them, for better or worse. Who knows if the country can survive another such generation of people with such a high self-regard and such a low regard for others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2019, 07:12 AM

6,981 posts, read 10,989,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
So is Generation Jones, which is the latter half of the baby boom, and encompasses the generation of those of us born 1954 - 1965.

We are lumped in with the earlier boomers because we were part of the continued high birth rated. But there are a lot of very important differences between us.

https://generationjones.com:

Between Woodstock and Lollapalooza, between 'Turn on, tune in, drop out' and 'Just Say No,' and between Dylan going electric and Nirvana going unplugged, an invisible generation has been silent

There has been a missing piece in the generational landscape.

Originally, GenJonesers were mistakenly lumped in with Boomers because of their mutually high birth rates. But generations stem from shared formative experiences, not head counts. Over time, the original mistaken Boomer Generation definition has become widely discredited, with many top experts now embracing Generation Jones as a distinct generation.

These experts underline the importance of distinguishing between the post-WWII demographic boom in babies versus the cultural generations born during that time. Jonesers were born between the mid-1950s and mid-1960s, with the exact birth years varying from nation to nation. In the U.S. and most Western countries, the birth years most often used for GenJones are 1954-1965. Extensive research has shown dramatic differences between the collective personality traits of Boomers versus Jonesers.
This is so true. I am a Generation Joneser (though this is the first time I ever heard the term) who has technically been considered a boomer. But my formative years and experiences were completely different from the people born in the late 1940s and early 1950s and I never had much affinity for the boomers.

Like the millennials, the boomers often complained bitterly about the world they inherited from their parents. It's another unpleasant trait they share.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:28 AM

7,233 posts, read 9,404,989 times
I just finished a year teaching electrical engineering to a 26 year old. It was a good experience. I learned about him and he learned about me. We were able to compare generations.

I realized how his generation is so screwed.

I graduated from engineering school in 1972. My tuition was just $90 per semester. I graduated debt free, he is $90K in debt.

After we were married, my wife working as a new RN made enough to support both of us. We saved my salary until we could put 10% down to buy a new house. That took just a few months.

For him, housing cost is way higher. The median price of a house here is about $330K. Saving the $66K for a 20% down payment is a huge hurdle for his family.

When he starts a family, his deductible for a birth will be $6K. Our first born who was in intensive care for a month cost us $300.

So I do understand some of the "OK Boomer" resentment although he demonstrated none of that. He was grateful to learn from me.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:37 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,337,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Whatever, kiddie. I've got socks in my drawer that are older than you.

And...

I probably knew your mama!

Never mess with those who have more retorts.
"I'm older and I have more insurance."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXZs3mjGlQU

Old 11-09-2019, 07:38 AM

962 posts, read 617,170 times
Quote:
It's the latest cool thing to say on social media. I find it fascinating how the twitter crowd is so easily led and how quickly they form a herd of lemmings.
Yep. These morons are unable to think for themselves.

The result of living their entire lives staring at a 5" screen, waiting for "likes". Pathetic indeed.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessie Mitchell View Post
Given what we, Boomers, have left younger generations with... we deserve disparagement harsher than just "OK, Boomer".
"Every generation blames the one before." Or so the song goes.

Also this one - remember it? Who do we get to blame for all this?
https://youtu.be/eFTLKWw542g

Old 11-09-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
I posted a thread on this to another forum last week. I am a boomer - I think it's dumb, AND I understand it. The millennials have been whipped by boomers for their lack of motivation, etc. - and now they are standing up, asserting themselves. We kind of did the same thing in response to the "establishment."

It is a very dismissive phrase.

It must be horrible, though, to see old people wherever you go - and the old drivers are getting ridiculous - so many of them (us) and they are just going to get older and older and more dangerous on the road, and more irritating, in general.

Pretty sure the millennials would like to see us dead sooner rather than later.
Well, they sure do wish we'd all retire and get out of their way - LOL.

Oh well.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:56 AM

15,254 posts, read 13,058,316 times
Quote:
But you don't know if they are actually boomers who are typing that.
Apparently in Appalachia, you’re a boomer in your thirties.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:57 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,826,966 times
Now that I’ve read the definition of OK Boomer, I have to say I’m a proud OK Boomer. Is there such thing? I’ve made fun of the millennials in my class, stood up in my class and said jokingly the millennials were terrible, my kids were in that group. The whole class laughed about it.

Old 11-09-2019, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
So is Generation Jones, which is the latter half of the baby boom, and encompasses the generation of those of us born 1954 - 1965.

We are lumped in with the earlier boomers because we were part of the continued high birth rated. But there are a lot of very important differences between us.

https://generationjones.com:

Between Woodstock and Lollapalooza, between 'Turn on, tune in, drop out' and 'Just Say No,' and between Dylan going electric and Nirvana going unplugged, an invisible generation has been silent

There has been a missing piece in the generational landscape.

Originally, GenJonesers were mistakenly lumped in with Boomers because of their mutually high birth rates. But generations stem from shared formative experiences, not head counts. Over time, the original mistaken Boomer Generation definition has become widely discredited, with many top experts now embracing Generation Jones as a distinct generation.

These experts underline the importance of distinguishing between the post-WWII demographic boom in babies versus the cultural generations born during that time. Jonesers were born between the mid-1950s and mid-1960s, with the exact birth years varying from nation to nation. In the U.S. and most Western countries, the birth years most often used for GenJones are 1954-1965. Extensive research has shown dramatic differences between the collective personality traits of Boomers versus Jonesers.
This makes sense to me, as someone born in the early 1960s. My dad wasn't a WW2 veteran - he went to Vietnam. HIS dad was too old in WW2 to be drafted. I started school after the Civil Rights movement and after integration. I don't remember Kennedy being shot (I was a baby). Right as I was graduating from high school, home computers were becoming a reality and by the time I was a young adult, they were common in homes and businesses so I learned along with the development of computers and the internet.

I'm the oldest of three siblings and yet my two brothers are Gen Xers? Nyahhh.

I think 20 year "generational generalities" are sort of ridiculous anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement