Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 08:21 AM

6,385 posts, read 13,184,964 times

Advertisements

Excellent point, many female's don't.

Not to get off topic but where I see the females going is into the computer side of the trades. They go get vocational-hands on training then go into either the controls part of electrical or the CAD or BIM drafting side of any MEP trades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Joining this conversation a little late, but what skilled trades pay that well for women?

My husband is in the trades and makes over 100K per year in the DC area so I'm all about the trades. I know women are welcome in them, but very few women can physically handle that kind of work. In my husband's 30 years in his trade, he's never had a woman on his job...ever. I'm sure some could do it. I just think it's really easy to say to go in the trades. That's a great answer for men (and believe me, it's been a good career) but I don't believe women have as many options that are well-paying but are considered "trades."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2018, 08:29 AM

496 posts, read 554,483 times
Thus spake the pot, of the kettle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Caution -- There's some weird birds over there.

Old 08-30-2018, 08:44 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,795 posts, read 58,282,396 times
Quote:
Joining this conversation a little late, but what skilled trades pay that well for women?
  1. Women can be PREFERRED truckdrivers (they are not so hard on equipment)
  2. Many technician level jobs are not physically demanding (but women usually SHINE due to more focused / intent / organized, purpose driven (to complete a project). Men often chase rabbit trails and make the solution harder to find.
  3. Web / APP developer
  4. Blogging
  5. Travel coordinator (for high end clients)
  6. IT
  7. Accounting / Enrolled agents
  8. Machinist
  9. CNC and CMM programmers
  10. Metrologist
  11. Lab tech (industrial or medical)
  12. Baking
  13. Inventory control
  14. Project liaison
  15. ...

Give your DD a wealth of opportunities to explore options and to SHINE in her own special niche.
Often a 'Skilled trade / Entrepreneur' can avoid the pain of college and just go out and 'Get-er-done'

There are a zillion biographies evidencing such.. "success without college"

Our best wishes for her!

Old 08-30-2018, 08:44 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,957,281 times
Thus spake the pot, of the kettle

Four pages of coherent thoughts......and your contribution stands head & shoulders above them all.

G F Y

Last edited by FiveLoaves; 08-30-2018 at 08:45 AM.. Reason: Added acronym

Old 08-30-2018, 08:50 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,694,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
  1. Women can be PREFERRED truckdrivers (they are not so hard on equipment)
  2. Many technician level jobs are not physically demanding (but women usually SHINE due to more focused / intent / organized, purpose driven (to complete a project). Men often chase rabbit trails and make the solution harder to find.
  3. Web / APP developer
  4. Blogging
  5. Travel coordinator (for high end clients)
  6. IT
  7. Accounting / Enrolled agents
  8. Machinist
  9. CNC and CMM programmers
  10. Metrologist
  11. Lab tech (industrial or medical)
  12. Baking
  13. Inventory control
  14. Project liaison
  15. ...

Give your DD a wealth of opportunities to explore options and to SHINE in her own special niche.
Often a 'Skilled trade / Entrepreneur' can avoid the pain of college and just go out and 'Get-er-done'

There are a zillion biographies evidencing such.. "success without college"

Our best wishes for her!
Thanks! Yes, I was narrowly thinking of the mechanical trades (electrical, plumbing, welder). There are other options...not sure that some of the above would necessarily garner a livable wage around where I am. And no one in this area is going to get an accounting job without a degree.

But....she did end up going the college route. Took her 5 years due to some difficulties in the science and math courses, but she got her degree (very "soft" major). She's working for a defense contractor, who required a degree. Not making a lot of money but she is able to rent a room on her own.

Old 08-30-2018, 09:01 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,795 posts, read 58,282,396 times
Quote:
Thanks! Yes, I was narrowly thinking of the mechanical trades (electrical, plumbing, welder). There are other options...not sure that some of the above would necessarily garner a livable wage around where I am. And no one in this area is going to get an accounting job without a degree.

But....she did end up going the college route. Took her 5 years due to some difficulties in the science and math courses, but she got her degree (very "soft" major). She's working for a defense contractor, who required a degree. Not making a lot of money but she is able to rent a room on her own.
I hire and have lived / earned within the 'skilled' trades for 40+ yrs.

The careers I noted are $50k +

I have friends doing skilled trades in Gov careers who make over $50k / yr in very ez on OT pay alone (triple time weekends). One friend does equip delivery and has topped $200k several times.
Gov jobs often PAY for tons of training. (which can eventually lead to a degree if desired.)

Lots of non physical jobs in energy sector.
Writing grants?

NONE of my excellent enrolled agents have a degree. They are heads and shoulders above a standard accountant. They make $100k

One gal friend (non-degreed) runs a cleaning company with 20+ employees cleaning a local Community College.

Old 08-30-2018, 10:51 AM

3,359 posts, read 1,241,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
What about the kids getting a full time job (even an entry level one) at an employer that offers tuition reimbursement? The loan would pay the tuition by the due date, and after the classes were completed with passing grades, the child could pay that year's loan off before payments even began.

You may not have your bachelor's by exactly 22, but it would be paid for, and you'd have 4 years of work experience.

I don't see why more rising freshmen don't try that route.
I’m a parent, a retired educator and pragmatic but I don’t see a world where an eighteen year old can walk into the workforce, full time with benefits and go to college on the side. Many older young adults do...that is how most young professionals, like me, work towards advanced degrees. I have a great deal of admiration for young people but this is totally unrealistic for the vast majority of “rising freshmen”.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:23 AM

6,844 posts, read 3,979,864 times
This is nonsense. If a person doesn't have the means to pay for an expensive college education for their kids, the kids should live at home, attend an inexpensive public university in commuting distance, and work their way through (part time during the school year, full time in the summer) and get loans for the rest. At the end of 4 years their loan will be about as big as a new car loan, with 10 years to pay it off completely. That will teach them the value of money and responsibility. They are way more likely to succeed in life than someone whose partents blew $150K to send them to some party school out of state. Sending your kids away to college is not teaching them anything. Colleges are basically a scam, the only thing of value you get from them is a diploma which lets you qualify to apply for better paying jobs. Once on the job your personality and performance is what counts. No one cares where you got your degree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
There's a thread over on an Early Retirement site I frequent. Posters are putting up their thoughts about paying for their Children's College Education. I'm shocked, Shocked I say, at the unbridled greed displayed by some of those parents towards their children.....it's almost as if the Kids were a burden to them after High School.

Phrases like "I paid for my College. My Kids can do the same" Your College costs were minuscule compared to what even a State School is getting today !! One poster said "I offered to pay for 2 years Junior College. My Son can pay for the rest of it" Two years of JuCo is the current equivalent of the old HS diploma. Try getting any kid of job with that GED certificate.

If you're not ready and willing to give your Kids the advantage of a College Education.....you are NOT ready to Retire Early.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:39 AM

393 posts, read 410,877 times
2 kids. Both have to take student loans, but must attend in state colleges. We pay the rest. Considering it's over 25K per kid per year, they get a 6K loan, they get 19K in parent funds, I think that's a good deal.

BUT...you get 4 years, you can go summer school, do whatever it takes, but if it takes longer than 4 years, we are DONE. We will retire in 3 years, our youngest will graduate in 3 years...or again, it's on you.

Old 08-30-2018, 11:42 AM

997 posts, read 855,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I hire and have lived / earned within the 'skilled' trades for 40+ yrs.

The careers I noted are $50k +

I have friends doing skilled trades in Gov careers who make over $50k / yr in very ez on OT pay alone (triple time weekends). One friend does equip delivery and has topped $200k several times.
Gov jobs often PAY for tons of training. (which can eventually lead to a degree if desired.)

Lots of non physical jobs in energy sector.
Writing grants?

NONE of my excellent enrolled agents have a degree. They are heads and shoulders above a standard accountant. They make $100k

One gal friend (non-degreed) runs a cleaning company with 20+ employees cleaning a local Community College.
I’ve been in the trades for 35 years, never heard of anyone making triple time on the weekends. I’ve gotten down u leg time on sundays and time and 1/2 on Saturday. I know some ironworkers locals get all double time (for overtime) on new construction. I’m out of Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement