Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2018, 02:43 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,683 times

Advertisements

We have one daughter. She went to a University that excelled in her chosen Major, and she graduated a Semester early in January. She landed a job before her classmates "walked" in May, and that Job paid for her MBA.

You've accounted for yours in your own way. Good For You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2018, 03:13 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,434,955 times
If I found out that I was getting no help from my parents towards my college education, I'd go straight into the work force and at least be making money while I was attending. Whatever I had to do to make it - taking classes at night? No problem. Take some online because my employer needs me to be flexible? No problem.

It just matters how bad you want it and if you really want it. If you're weighing whether it's worth it to pay for it out of your own pocket vs. someone else's, you're not ready for college.

Old 08-31-2018, 03:27 PM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,683 times
The level of discourse on the other site has remained focused on the Subject. Here is an example of the problems facing Kids entering University today --

"Anyone here (assuming you're 50+ years old) who says "I paid my way" and so kids these days should do the same is living in a dream world.

Just got my son's bill: $10,000 and change for this fall semester (Tuition/dorm/unlimited cafeteria meal plan). That's after applying $2300 in scholarship money. We are adamant that neither of our kids get loans; both my wife and I had to dig out from loans for grad school and got a late start financially. Our parents did bupkis.

Son is a CompSci major. Worked his ass off in a very competitive high school to get admitted. He and NONE of his braniac nerd friends had part time jobs in high school. You have no idea of the workload for top students these days; it would make your eyes water. There's no way a kid in AP classes in high school can work part time. If you're in lower level ("normal") classes, it's possible, but not desirable.

He would be at a great disadvantage at University if he had to work part time. He knows the stakes are that high.

QED

Old 08-31-2018, 04:04 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
The level of discourse on the other site has remained focused on the Subject. Here is an example of the problems facing Kids entering University today --

"Anyone here (assuming you're 50+ years old) who says "I paid my way" and so kids these days should do the same is living in a dream world.

Just got my son's bill: $10,000 and change for this fall semester (Tuition/dorm/unlimited cafeteria meal plan). That's after applying $2300 in scholarship money. We are adamant that neither of our kids get loans; both my wife and I had to dig out from loans for grad school and got a late start financially. Our parents did bupkis.

Son is a CompSci major. Worked his ass off in a very competitive high school to get admitted. He and NONE of his braniac nerd friends had part time jobs in high school. You have no idea of the workload for top students these days; it would make your eyes water. There's no way a kid in AP classes in high school can work part time. If you're in lower level ("normal") classes, it's possible, but not desirable.

He would be at a great disadvantage at University if he had to work part time. He knows the stakes are that high.

QED
Lot of whining (probably just like their kids) & No SOLUTIONS...(very telling when rants include no solutions... helpful ??)

A lot of false statements (no way a kid in AP classes in high school can work part time.) I can find you 100's of HS kids (today) who are working FT & attending FT college, considerably more / equally demanding as AP...

Yes,
  • I was saving LONG before my kid's came along,
  • and yes, there was PLENTY of dough available to fund their education
  • Was that the best place to spend it. (I was attending a Master's Program at the same time... USA Academia is NOT always a 'value' investment)
  • nurturing your kids to understand 'VALUE' and contributions might be a better way to spend your dough, than to throw it at under performing USA EDU (Pre-or post-grad)
  • kids and myself fully enjoying our 'early retirements'

NO (not for their sake, or their future employers, community, initiative, or bank accounts.)

Your choices will vary.

Retire Early, Retire often. Consider putting your trivial 'career' & 'savings for posh retirement' on hold & STAYING HOME with your kids during their very short 18 yrs with you. It might pay LIFELONG dividends

Each will be different, no RIGHT answers, thousands of choices, many can be the 'best' choice for your kid. Paying for college ranks in the lower 1000. (I my book) JMHO (and from the tangible results from peers and self.)

Living in a DREAM world? Yup, kids these days are doing so! ~ age 22, My kids were making far more than my highest annual salary. CAKE!

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-31-2018 at 04:16 PM..

Old 08-31-2018, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Lot of whining (probably just like their kids) & No SOLUTIONS...(very telling when rants include no solutions... helpful ??)

A lot of false statements (no way a kid in AP classes in high school can work part time.) I can find you 100's of HS kids (today) who are working FT & attending FT college, considerably more / equally demanding as AP...

Yes,
  • I was saving LONG before my kid's came along,
  • and yes, there was PLENTY of dough available to fund their education
  • Was that the best place to spend it. (I was attending a Master's Program at the same time... USA Academia is NOT always a 'value' investment)
  • nurturing your kids to understand 'VALUE' and contributions might be a better way to spend your dough, than to throw it at under performing USA EDU (Pre-or post-grad)
  • kids and myself fully enjoying our 'early retirements'

NO (not for their sake, or their future employers, community, initiative, or bank accounts.)

Your choices will vary.

Retire Early, Retire often. Consider putting your trivial 'career' & 'savings for posh retirement' on hold & STAYING HOME with your kids during their very short 18 yrs with you. It might pay LIFELONG dividends

Each will be different, no RIGHT answers, thousands of choices, many can be the 'best' choice for your kid. Paying for college ranks in the lower 1000. (I my book) JMHO (and from the tangible results from peers and self.)

Living in a DREAM world? Yup, kids these days are doing so! ~ age 22, My kids were making far more than my highest annual salary. CAKE!
Ivory tower nonsense.

I don't think the issue relates to accepting delayed gratification or opportunity cost of not working part time, so much as it does the interest accruing on the non-subsidized loans, which someone will have to pay at some point in the not so distant future.

The fact is the money's not there, and the bill is due. Scholarships (obviously) didn't cover the entire cost of attending, so someone must finance it. That means loans are going in someone's name.

Spilled milk at this point. Now, the question is what's the best way to wipe it up?

------------------------------

OP,

I think something to add value would be to network with people in the area in which you want to be employed. If it's Silicon Valley, then network, get referrals, LEETCODE, and for goodness sake get an interview coach. You're only allowed to bomb so many at Google, Facebook, Apple and others before you're blacklisted.

Enroll in coding boot camp over the summer (tuition will be a pittance compared to uni tuit). Your son will receive real, accurate feedback on his progress.

The most important thing is to realize EARLY whether you're working hard or the work is simply hard for you. If there are any speed bumps, they will be ironed out in the practical application of his skills in the coding boot camp or an internship.

Old 08-31-2018, 04:54 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,711 posts, read 58,042,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Spilled milk at this point. Now, the question is what's the best way to wipe it up?
The most important thing is to realize EARLY whether you're working hard or the work is simply hard for you. If there are any speed bumps, they will be ironed out in the practical application of his skills in the coding boot camp or an internship.
And.. a GREAT way to wipe up the spilled milk of a worthless College EDU... a REAL job!
  • Neighbor headed off to Afghanistan to pay off his college debt.
  • $150k income tax free. Took < 2 yrs.
  • PT HIGH paying jobs (EZ for a skilled college grad)
  • Sell mommies car...
  • BOOT CAMP!

Old 08-31-2018, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
And.. a GREAT way to wipe up the spilled milk of a worthless College EDU... a REAL job!
  • Neighbor headed off to Afghanistan to pay off his college debt.
  • $150k income tax free. Took < 2 yrs.
  • PT HIGH paying jobs (EZ for a skilled college grad)
  • Sell mommies car...
  • BOOT CAMP!
We might be close to the same circle of people. A company I worked for had KBR recruiting my coworkers from our technical support team to fulfill SATCOM military contracts. 1 year in length and your offers increased each time you re-sign.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:00 PM

13,044 posts, read 13,865,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
Do research on the salaries paid to recent law school graduates. Law Schools are infamous for publishing average salary numbers exceeding $150k per year during the Recession years, when in reality most recent Law School grads of that era were making under $50K.

If someone truly wants to be a Lawyer they should investigate lesser known schools as well as the Top 10 or 15 Schools. I know two students who were offered full-rides to University of Toledo Law School.

No point in spending money on a STEM degree if their heart is not in those fields. I love Math, Science, and Engineering but many others do not. Money cannot compensate for zero interest in a job.
A great combination is a hard science or engineering undergrad coupled with a law degree -- then go into patent law (the Patent Bar is a separate, national bar you take in addition to your state bar; to sit for the patent bar there are a number of undergraduate requirements, most of which are satisfied if the student did a hard science or engineering degree as an undergrad.)

Another great combination is accounting undergrad plus law school specializing on tax lax.

Both patent law and tax law are two areas that seem to thrive year after year.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:16 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,050,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
I'm not saying that parents shouldn't prepare for kids' college educations but they do have to also tend to their own futures & find a balance that might involve the kids working and/or taking out loans or attending lower cost colleges. Especially true for multiple children, they will have a longer time to pay off debts compared to parents.

If the kids are unable to get scholarships they need to apply for grants & consider less than Ivy League or perhaps join the military for schooling. Putting mom & dad in the poorhouse because they are unwilling to consider any of these is irrational & unfair just as mom & dad not agreeing to help at all is unfair.

And yes, I worked my way through university & I understand that it is much more difficult now to do, but this is the age that kids need to start putting some skin in the game.
I keep seeing this over and over whenever the discussion of colleges comes up. The vast majority of kids and their parents are NOT considering Ivy League schools. Where on earth do people get the idea that the choice is either Ivy League or Community College? And for most people in most economic ranges, IF they could get accepted, a Harvard education for example wouldn't cost any more out of pocket than most state schools due to the grants.

Here's the actual reality. There are large numbers of people in many parts of the country that just do not have a good quality college near by. If they are going to college at all, they are going away to college. So they will be paying tuition, books, fees, and either room & board or for an apartment. That combination of costs drives even state schools into the $20K and up range. And here's the kicker. If you are the typical middle class family with typical savings and who didn't squander all your money on a too big house and pricy vacations, they consider that all your savings are available to pay for college. Doesn't matter what you as the parent think. Doesn't matter if you actually don't plan to pay one thin dime, the financial aid systems consider that available and adjusts the aid to your kid downward accordingly.

Those parents who say "I'm not paying for it" are actually hurting their kids double. First in terms of additional funds the kid has to borrow and second in terms of lost financial aid because financial aid is based on the parent's savings.

Old 09-02-2018, 10:13 PM

3,319 posts, read 1,817,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaIamela View Post
OP you are simply a delight.
And bestowing your gracious commendations on only the most worthy posters shows a combination of class and humility that is rarely equaled on these boards!
Thank you.
Did anyone, OP included, catch the deep sarcasmic intent of my post?
If not, I apologize.
Folks, we are in desperate need of a SARCASM EMOGI !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement