Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 04:07 PM

51,312 posts, read 36,963,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
That is what I'm thinking. Back in the day the contraception of choice was condoms. I'm sure they still sell them? LOL

It is just a whole different mindset or something. As if they want to procreate at an early age for some reason.
I think people are forgetting what it can be like in the "heat of the moment" for teens, whose hormones are sky high. The way it goes is both kids are making out and getting hotter and hotter, they are taking off clothes and getting ready, girl says "put on the condom" boy fumbles around and says "I don't have one...c'mon, it'll be fine, I'll pull out, I love you, don't do this to me, etc, etc etc, and girl gives in.

I knew how babies happened as a teen too, but a few beers and a really cute guy you think you're madly in love with, and you don't always make the best decisions.

Old 03-15-2018, 04:48 PM

18,736 posts, read 33,508,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Is that "Leave it to Beaver"? It just seemed so normal then.
I was thinking more about the presumption that the husbands and wives were loving, that people ate dinner together, that they talked to each other and asked how they were doing, that kind of thing. My growing up was more like a very sad boarding house with four people under their own bell jars.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:15 PM

250 posts, read 183,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
The supermom thing is easily defeated by understanding choice. Choose what works with your life. No one is requiring women to have a bunch of kids, work all day, and then come home to a bunch of housework. All of this can be managed by making good choices.

What I've witnessed is that married women are not requiring their spouse to take on at least half the burden. Men can go to school events, men can do laundry, men can do childcare, etc.
How do make your husband do those things if he doesn't want to? And during the time period in my post, those men were not raised to believe that they were part of the women's liberation movement in that they were expected to pitch in with household and childcare work. They loved the idea of their wives working full-time, but women's work was still just women's work.

Old 03-15-2018, 05:27 PM

18,736 posts, read 33,508,663 times
It has long been my very slanted view that men don't want to be parents or have children, but it's the price of being married. I always (and occasionally incorrectly) assumed that women control the decision to have children or not. Sometime men have a rather abstract idea of "throwing a football" with a kid or more abstractly, passing on their DNA and therefore being immortal or something.

So to whatever extent I am correct, there's no way a man is gonna do any of the scut work associated with children, including caring for them, going to the school play, etc. (I did lose one good man over this issue, his marriage ended badly and he was a most devoted father to one son). I see again and again (having worked as an RN and seeing women who made more than the male assistants they often married) that the men still did not stay home or be primary caretakers. They just wouldn't, didn't want to.

I emphasize that I know this is a harsh and biased view but it really is my subconscious base, anecdotes aside.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:02 PM

11,667 posts, read 12,788,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
How do make your husband do those things if he doesn't want to? And during the time period in my post, those men were not raised to believe that they were part of the women's liberation movement in that they were expected to pitch in with household and childcare work. They loved the idea of their wives working full-time, but women's work was still just women's work.

I was always under the impression that in those days, men were embarrassed that their wives had to go out to work. It made them look like incompetent, feckless losers who couldn't support their families. Remember Freddy and Marie in The Best Years of Our Lives. Or they were like Ricky and Lucy, where Ricky felt threatened by Lucy's aspirations to get into Show Biz and Ricky wanted Lucy to stay home and serve him. She would get "a spankin' " and that was supposed to be funny. Both men and women in the audience sided with Ricky. Also in some women's professions, such as secretaries, nurses, and teachers, women were not permitted to keep their jobs once they got married, nor was it customary to do so.

Old 03-15-2018, 06:02 PM

17,411 posts, read 11,403,211 times
We all have our own memories good and bad. Speaking for myself, and having a father that died when I was six and a mother that worked to support us, I have no memories of my mother and father ever arguing or cussing. My dad took good care of me when he was there. He took me everywhere with him, played with me and when he became ill and could no longer work, was my primary care taker. I remember my father and mother both being considerate and loving towards eachother.
I like to think that having children was a mutual decision for my parents and my father was more than a sperm doner. In first grade, I was in a school play and my father was there with my mother to watch in the school auditorium. I don't have a lot of memories of those times but those I do have are good ones.
My mother is now 87 years old and if you could ask her, I know she'd say the years she spent with my father were the best of her life.
I don't think I'll come back to this thread because it's become rather depressing for me.

Old 03-15-2018, 07:10 PM

757 posts, read 844,893 times
It depends on the woman. I am old and have seen much. I saw women in the 50s who ruled the roost at home. I saw women who were the go to people in the plant or office. I also saw women who stayed pregnant and seemed to have no life of their own. I have seen mothers in families that were in absolute control and even their adult sons listened to them and did what they were told. It is also true that in wars wounded men often thought and spoke of their mothers while dying. Fewere opportunities? Perhaps. Dominated? Depends on the woman.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:45 PM

588 posts, read 464,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
It's a principle o logic that it's impossible to prove a negative.
Hi Happy!

So good you are feeling better.

I do not know about principle given your post, that being said, and I really do hope you are doing better....the O after principle needs to be OF or were you just feeling your possible Irish roots.

love love

And yes, you are correct...it really is impossible to correct a negative or to prove it as well.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Your theory is backed up by the multitude of "Find Russian bride" and other mail order bride sites.
Trust me on this one. He is still looking.

Hi Happy!

Old 03-15-2018, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
They aren't doing well in school. Fewer are going to college, women outnumber men in college, women outnumber men in medical school (although not sure if this is because fewer male applicants or some sort of female privilege to entry, could be either, could be both). All resources are funneled to girls, special science programs, special girls only mentoring classes, NOTHING for boys. No separate but equal. Just special opportunities for girls only.

As you've said, women want to marry a man who will work and make money. Will they marry someone *beneath* them? Doubtful.

It is a huge problem that is just beginning, but of course, many refuse to even acknowledge it.
The ex came from Brazil.

No openings for women there. Surprisingly. If one can pass the tests Brazil will pay your way through Med School.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement