Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2018, 05:28 PM

4,552 posts, read 3,801,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
My mother taught me to sew in sixth grade because I was too tall to buy certain things like a maxi skirt or anything with long sleeves. Eighth grade home ec sewing was a snap for me.

I wish I had taken shop, though, or at least been offered some sort of basic handyperson techniques. I ended up on my own and wasn't handy at all, and when I moved into my condo my neighbors must have thought I was demented the day I hung up my drapery rod with all the cursing I did and running back and forth (twice) to the hardware store to figure out how to keep the effin thing in the wall. It fell out eventually anyway.

I am definitely glad I learned to type. I stood behind my manager one day, who had called me in his office to ask me for help composing an email because he wasn't much of a writer, and watching him poke around the keyboard one finger at a time, hit two keys, realize he'd made a mistake and then search for the delete key...I finally said, "GET UP AND LET ME DO THIS!"
Too funny, I had a similar experience.

On one of our earlier MRI machines, we only got so many attempts to log in correctly. If we didn’t, we had to do a total shutdown and bring the system up to try the log in again. It was not a short process at the time. One of our male co-workers was fumbling with the two finger typing technique and we were one attempt away from a shut down. The other female co-worker couldn’t take it anymore, rolled her chair over, bumper car style, knocking him out of the way and correctly logged us in. Who knew that typing class with a tyrannical banty rooster of an instructor would be worth so much later?

As far as home economics class, it wasn’t wasted, I learned a fundamental life lesson. A younger girl skipped two grades and was in our class. She had an astronomical IQ and had two professors as parents. She didn’t want to work in a team and put a mixture with grape juice in the blender and turned it on without the lid before waiting for her partner and fully listening to our teacher’s instructions. The ceiling tiles were purple for the rest of the year. I was seeing someone with high IQ, but little EQ, which wasn’t named at that time. All the emphasis was on IQ only.

Every lesson or event, negative or positive has value if you are open to it.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-13-2018 at 05:37 PM..

Old 03-13-2018, 08:02 PM

6,625 posts, read 6,591,403 times
My 2 cents:

Well I sure as hell didn't "promise to obey" in my wedding vows, but my mother did.

(not that my father was EVER the boss)

Old 03-13-2018, 08:21 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,991,263 times
When my MIL bought her first car, women weren't allowed to purchase cars, so she had to take her dad to the dealership with her. She had saved up enough to buy the car, so it wasn't that her dad had to cosign on a loan for her or anything like that.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:31 PM

417 posts, read 706,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
My 2 cents:

Well I sure as hell didn't "promise to obey" in my wedding vows, but my mother did.

(not that my father was EVER the boss)

My mother didn't (it wasn't part of the Catholic vows), but my niece did. My brother got into some kind of fundy cult with patriarchal tendencies. I was tempted to hiss when I heard it, but refrained.

Old 03-13-2018, 08:47 PM

229 posts, read 242,096 times
Default womens rights

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Right. The victim was put on trial. What was she wearing that could have caused the rapist to do what he did? Did she go somewhere alone? Did she drink any alcohol? The answers to those questions could get a rapist off the hook.

What is an amazing piece of progress to me in only the last decade or two is that rape victims are named. The victim of a rape used to never be released--as if the shame was HERS.
I was volunteering at a hospital in the early 1960's and a rape victim was brought in. She had been tied to a bed with barbed wire which cut down to the bones. She had been repeatedly raped.

The policeman who came to take the reports first question was what she had done to bring this on.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:02 PM

89,023 posts, read 85,546,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Siam View Post
I was volunteering at a hospital in the early 1960's and a rape victim was brought in. She had been tied to a bed with barbed wire which cut down to the bones. She had been repeatedly raped.

The policeman who came to take the reports first question was what she had done to bring this on.
Sickening.

Old 03-13-2018, 10:42 PM

26,666 posts, read 28,882,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki Siam View Post

That makes my heart sink. I remember hearing about things like that back then.

Old 03-13-2018, 11:07 PM

6,331 posts, read 4,251,040 times
Yep, no wage gap
Netflix paid The Crown's Claire Foy less than Matt*Smith | Daily Mail Online

Old 03-14-2018, 12:38 AM

310 posts, read 449,239 times
Secretaries are now called Administrative Assistants. Just a play on words. We need a woman President. Also, women should support women-owned businesses, doctors, dentists, attorneys, etc. The US has come a long way, but we still have a long way to go as far as equal pay, etc.

Old 03-14-2018, 03:40 AM

7,978 posts, read 7,387,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I flunked making a skirt in Home Ec in eighth grade. Required class for girls. Otherwise really useless- how to set a table like a lady, blah blah.
In high school, I remember a group of boys insisted on being allowed to take cooking. They had a blast, marijuana brownies, adding vodka, etc. I don't remember even knowing what the voc classes were but am glad I insisted on taking typing for all the reasons already posted.
When I was in business school, we had to take a semester-long "charm" class, which was as mandatory to graduating as passing the typing finals. We had to stand up, the teacher inspected our figures, and told us whether or not we needed a "garment" (girdle). We learned how to walk (with a book on our heads), descend stairs, how to get out of a car in a poised ladylike fashion, how to sit like a lady (ALWAYS crossing legs at the ankles) and which fork to use with which course at dinner. We also received milk of magnesia facials and had our eyebrows plucked. I guess it was all part of being groomed to marry the rich boss.

Last edited by Mrs. Skeffington; 03-14-2018 at 03:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement