Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2018, 09:10 PM

588 posts, read 463,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Well how nice. It, along with Home Ec, was required of every female in my school. Amazing how every female in the school must have been unworthy of being in advanced academics - but that kind of emphasizes the problem with the way women were viewed, doesn’t it?
Short hand

Boy I really sucked at it.

Typing same.

Still had a career. Didn't pay all that much however, lord did I learn to make a dime.

Yes, I did the type while listening to some stupid drivel about yada yada...changed the content of the drivel and VIOLA... edit, copy print.

Gotta love it
HE SIGNED and I got my bonus.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:18 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,605,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Birth control and abortifacients were both common in ancient Rome. Condoms were made of sheepskin which were tied.

This is a great book on the subject. I really enjoyed it.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
Oh dear Happy,

Are you upset?

Do you need a massage, a foot relief, a cooling of the temples.

I cannot think who would upset you so!?

I seem not to be able to get a sheep's udder from my butcher....may you please send me one.

SUCH a wonderful idea! I am sure my love will just love it! Maybe for his birthday!

Oh, sorry, Wyoming, my sweets just texted me. I will ask him if he wants to experiment with a sheep udder.

I don't know. Could be fun.

Love Love
Quote:
You threw filth at the idea of a nursing mother—extraordinarily strange behavior for a woman. You were obviously unaware that sheepskin (lambskin) is still used for condoms today. This is bizarre.

Why do you hate the idea of nursing? You seem to have very odd ideas for a woman.

Old 03-15-2018, 09:27 PM

Quote:
To demand evidence is never an unsupported statement. It simply reiterates the onus of proof principle. That principle is simply that the one who makes a positive statement bears the burden of proof.
Hi Happy!

I think you mean that a statement (positive) (or negative) bears the burden of proof.

Are you SURE you are feeling better?

That really was a slip up.

I am concerned!

Old 03-15-2018, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willistonite View Post
This is the funniest comment of day. I guess us men had it bad, we just died. No apparent reason.
I am so glad I survived. It must have been rough.
I think I love you Will!

Old 03-15-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag32gie View Post
It sure wasn't bad for the kids! Coming home from school to a mother, running to the door all excited when your father got home from work and watching him hold my mother and tell her how he loves her, everybody eating dinner together and talking about your day, playing outside with all the other kids that came home to a mother instead of a daycare. It was perfect for the whole family, our home was happy.
I can only imagine how wonderful that would have been. What a wonderfully lucky girl you were. I hope that it brought out in you the beauty of such love and that you have passed it forward.

love love

Old 03-15-2018, 10:26 PM

Quote:
You threw filth at the idea of a nursing mother—extraordinarily strange behavior for a woman. You were obviously unaware that sheepskin (lambskin) is still used for condoms today. This is bizarre.

Why do you hate the idea of nursing? You seem to have very odd ideas for a woman.
Happy,

Why are you so angry?

Was it my logical conclusion that a sheep udder could be used for condoms in the year dot?

I find it strange that you have decided that I made an illogical (albeit could be discussed) conclusion that a sheep udder was used for the design of primeval condoms.

I do, also, find it strange that you remark I have a bizarre and strange behavior for a woman.

An udder may have been used (recall the softness of the tissue) for said condoms (I do know what it means to have udders, however, humans call them breasts) and that I do understand that udders are also a vehicle of the sheep to give food to the lambs as same for humans.

True, they may have used the small intestine. Smaller lining of the walls. Kinda like the skin of sausages.

So really, what is your point?!

I thought you were getting better, but now we have to deal with this upset again.

Oh I do so wish you would be well.

love love

Old 03-16-2018, 08:41 AM

1,399 posts, read 1,250,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post

I was always under the impression that in those days, men were embarrassed that their wives had to go out to work. It made them look like incompetent, feckless losers who couldn't support their families. Remember Freddy and Marie in The Best Years of Our Lives. Or they were like Ricky and Lucy, where Ricky felt threatened by Lucy's aspirations to get into Show Biz and Ricky wanted Lucy to stay home and serve him. She would get "a spankin' " and that was supposed to be funny. Both men and women in the audience sided with Ricky. Also in some women's professions, such as secretaries, nurses, and teachers, women were not permitted to keep their jobs once they got married, nor was it customary to do so.
This was the case when my mother put her foot down and said she was getting a job in 1969. My dad's arguments always centered around the fact that he was supposed to be the one to put food on the table, the sole "bread winner". When another aunt took a job a few weeks later, my dad stopped arguing.

Back then, if the wife worked, the man was seen as a "failure"!

I remember a few years later when my mother got very sick (peritonitis) and was hospitalized for months. Even though I no longer lived at home, I had to go and help my father with the laundry. He did not know how to do laundry! Though he was an excellent cook and sometimes made our Sunday dinners, he had no idea how to sort clothes but I took the time to teach him how to do the laundry. My younger sister and two younger brothers also had no idea how to do laundry.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:30 AM

250 posts, read 182,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
Dont even get me going. I was the only woman in my police academy class, in NM, in 1973. You wouldn't believe what I put up with. Back then, the harassment and such I got as the 2nd woman police officer on our force - phew. But.... in those days, we weren't wimps and didn't go crying to personnel. We took care of things ourselves. I recall, one officer who kept harassing me with obscene comments. Finally, after about a year of that, I grabbed him by his throat one day, lifted him up, slammed him up against the wall a few times, yelling "stop bothering me!" The other officers stood nearby, laughing their butts off. That officer got the message, and from that day forth, we became friends.
I would do almost anything to go back in time and witness that.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:34 AM

7,029 posts, read 4,898,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I was thinking more about the presumption that the husbands and wives were loving, that people ate dinner together, that they talked to each other and asked how they were doing, that kind of thing. My growing up was more like a very sad boarding house with four people under their own bell jars.
I hear that. Our dad came home from work and threw himself on the sofa, where he stayed the rest of the night. We got him the newspaper, the TV guide, switched the channels for him, got his slippers, and my mom served him dinner in the living room while we ate in the kitchen, all so he could lay there so tired. Oh, yeah, and she went to pick his plates up and serve him dessert when he was done.

I don't think I had one conversation with my dad in my entire life. Him talking to me was to lecture me or yell at me for something. Me talking to him resulted in his turning his back on me or walking away.

Old 03-16-2018, 09:41 AM

250 posts, read 182,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
What a wonderful collection of remembrances from some truly remarkable women. I am a little young to have shared many of your experiences but had some common life events by coming of age in the 70s. The stories of walking to school while freezing in dresses resonated for it was such a relief when "pantsuits" were finally allowed. Purchasing a car as a solo female in the 70s could be a challenge if only because male salesmen seemed to expect to take financial advantage and could react somewhat personally when that proved not the case. Checking into a hotel with a female friend might bring a lecture that prostitution was not permitted. As late as the early 1980s I had a raise denied. My much older boss wanted to let me know that while my work excelled he wanted it give all the available money to a male coworker because he was married with children.

One theme that has not been well developed although it's been touched on in this thread is what life could be like for some women at home in the 50s and 60s. No longer did housework take the endless hours that it did at the turn of the century plus all sorts of labor saving devices were now being mass-produced and were readily available. Still, most middle-class women seemed to stay home, particularly those with children. The households could be supported on one salary and with pensions still common and job loss rare there was less reason to have a second household income.

For those who lived in the new bedroom suburbs there usually was only one family car in the 50s and 60s that the husband took to work or to the commuter rail. A lack of public transportation meant that women were largely confined to their neighborhoods during the day. Even those who lived in towns found they spent much of their time at home alone with children for post-ww2 migration patterns meant that families frequently no longer lived close by. There was not yet the variety of options for the children of stay-at-home moms during the day with few preschools. Boredom and frustration led in some to depression or perhaps was expressed through various physical ailments. A visit to typically male doctor might result in a prescription for valium or something similar.

This certainly was not the pattern for most women but it did depict a significant subset and it's one of the reasons that women today who might be able to stay home with children often do not choose that option. Even though juggling a career, a marriage, and children leads to lives that are undeniably hectic it is for many the better choice.
I remember when I was about four to seven years old we children spent most of our waking hours either in school or playing with friends at each other's homes. The neighborhood SAHMS socialized almost every day. I don't remember my mother being lonely, or other moms being lonely during that time period. This was during the late 60's, early 70's btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.