Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 02:56 AM

7 posts, read 10,734 times

Advertisements

I have an 1995 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight. The other day I was doing some running around and when I came out of the hospital my car would not start. It was completely dead.

I called ACSC and they came out to jump the car but it still refused to start.
All day long the car was fine, whats the deal LOL

OK, Lets see, all the lights work, radio works, air, etc. It just wont start?

I think it could be a few things but which one. Neutral safety switch, Starter,
Starter solenoid, the battery, the ignition or the keys, they have a chip?

Am I missing anything? How do I narrow it down ?

Sedona

Moderator note: moved from Los Angeles forum

Last edited by Count David; 12-07-2011 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: mod note
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 04:55 AM

3,993 posts, read 8,937,938 times
Is the starter motor turning, or is it totally dead ?

Old 12-07-2011, 06:59 AM

My Husband says it is clicking, I also noticed the the light under the letters like P,R,N etc are all lite up not just one like Under P.
Sedona

Old 12-07-2011, 07:02 AM

If it's just clicking, then my first suspect would be a failed starter motor.
The neutral switch is a possibility, but I doubt the starter would click if that switch had failed, normally nothing would happen.
It could be an immobiliser problem, but again, I'd expect either nothing at all to happen, or for it to turn over on the starter, but not fire.

I'd suspect by '95 that the starter and solenoid would come together as a unit, although if there's any Olds experts out there who know different, I'd stand to be corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedona1952 View Post
My husband says it is clicking, also I notice that when I move the gear shift the lights under the letters are all lite not just under park ?

Old 12-07-2011, 07:32 AM

TY For your answers, I am just praying the transmission is ok ... Hence the lights all being lite at the same time under the letters. The car ran fine all day till we went to the hospital. We went in stayed for a while and when we came out nothing ! Even AAA could not get it started. They even tapped on the starter.
Sedona

Old 12-07-2011, 07:49 AM

Unfortunately, starters are just one of these items which will fail with no notice.
One minute they're fine, and the next, "poof".

Start your investigations in that direction first.
If the trans was working before, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be ok if the starter broke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedona1952 View Post
TY For your answers, I am just praying the transmission is ok ... Hence the lights all being lite at the same time under the letters. The car ran fine all day till we went to the hospital. We went in stayed for a while and when we came out nothing ! Even AAA could not get it started. They even tapped on the starter.
Sedona

Old 12-07-2011, 07:59 AM

Many Thanks ... Sedona

Old 12-07-2011, 08:38 AM

8,350 posts, read 13,499,556 times
Moderator cut: orphaned statement
That said, you obviously narrowed down the main 3 possibilities (compression/fuel/fire) to electrical. So, you have compression (engine is fine), you are definitely getting fuel(?), then fire/electrical is the culprit.

I am no mechanic or an expert by any means but if your radio and other relevant equipment has juice then it is clearly a component between battery and the spark plugs (including the plugs). Disconnect one of the spark plugs and have someone cranks the car to see if you are getting any spark, probably not. From that point backward, continue troubleshooting.

Typically the sounds coming out from the engine area (or lack thereof) when you are igniting would give you the best clues. Check for smell or burnt wires, etc.

Good luck!

Last edited by Count David; 12-07-2011 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: removed orphaned statement

Old 12-07-2011, 12:13 PM

OK I found the problem ... but we don't know how to adjust it ... or if I need a new one. We found the Neutral Safety Switch was really loose. My Husband tightened it up but I click the engine over about 3 times and it stops working ... and sometime the lights under each letters are wrong. Do we need a new switch ? Is there a way to adjust this one ?
Many Thanks Sedona

Old 12-07-2011, 12:15 PM

Is there a trick to this LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Retired Brands