Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 07:30 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,298,762 times

Advertisements

I fail to understand why some people in this thread are pretty much condoning EXCESSIVE noise. It's not about children just "being children" -- I get the gist of it. This thread is about excessive noise, i.e. loud music, thumping, crashing and banging at all hours, none of which are acceptable, whether it's adults or children.

You should expect noise in all apartments or condos, but there's a very thick line between regular noise that simply goes with the territory and excessive noise, caused by people who have absolutely no respect or consideration for the fact that they share their walls and ceilings with others.

Again, I am baffled by the fact that some of you actually DEFEND people who are quite possibly making other people's lives hell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2009, 07:09 AM

8,979 posts, read 20,406,035 times
Exactly, exactly, exactly!!! Not only children.......ANYONE who is not considerate or respectful about the noise that is being made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
I fail to understand why some people in this thread are pretty much condoning EXCESSIVE noise. It's not about children just "being children" -- I get the gist of it. This thread is about excessive noise, i.e. loud music, thumping, crashing and banging at all hours, none of which are acceptable, whether it's adults or children.

You should expect noise in all apartments or condos, but there's a very thick line between regular noise that simply goes with the territory and excessive noise, caused by people who have absolutely no respect or consideration for the fact that they share their walls and ceilings with others.

Again, I am baffled by the fact that some of you actually DEFEND people who are quite possibly making other people's lives hell?

Old 08-01-2009, 01:42 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,773,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Sometimes children, as well as adults, just make too much noise! When this happens, the people living next and underneith them shouldn't have to "put up with" the noise! As stated numerous times in this Forum, the people complaining have a RIGHT to complain. The noise situation should be handled by the complex management if the parties involved cann't settle the problem themselves......nobody should be told to move! As also stated a number of times, "children are protected under laws", but that sure as sh*t doesn't mean that neighbors must put up with their walls, ceilings and pictures shaking all over the place (when the noise gets that loud). They shouldn't have to turn their tv's up louder to drowned out noise from above or on the sides......or even so they can hear their tv!
There will be noise in apartments, that is inevitable! But, KNOWING that people live below and on the sides should mean being more considerate and respectful to those neighbors.
OR, people can throw the two words, CONSIDERATE and RESPECTFUL out the door and continue to have problems with neighbors.......which definitely looks like what people want!!!
Your opinion of "excessive" noise is just that... your opinion.

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, and I did when I started reading your other thread. By the time I reached the end, you made it clear that your standards of "excessive" noise are so far removed from reality that there is no point in trying to explain to you what is reasonable noise in your apartment.

With unrealistic standards, noise is noise, it's all the same, you will never be happy in multi-family living, so the only solution that will make you happy is to move.

Old 08-01-2009, 02:57 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,090,000 times
I've been living with b.s. from a teenager above us since we moved in. At first it didn't bother us but he 'sort of quit' school or cut his hours down in January and began to play his guitar and sing (horribly) from 7 am...my husband works night shift and our bedroom is below "Jimmy's."

He began to go on the sofa but then Jimmy began playing late, 10, 10:30, 11..and we have a son who needs his rest to GO to school.

Finally we complained and the noise 'sort of' stopped. But then he got wise assy and began to stomp and bang a lot early. He can go to bed 11 or 12 and still be up at 6 or 7...

Last night (another weekend when his mom goes away) he has a few guys over, again, and they are stomping, shouting, running...till 4 am..

Our next step is a letter (registered) to the manager then a lawyer...

Old 08-01-2009, 03:07 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,298,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post

I like to give people the benefit of the doubt, and I did when I started reading your other thread. By the time I reached the end, you made it clear that your standards of "excessive" noise are so far removed from reality that there is no point in trying to explain to you what is reasonable noise in your apartment.

With unrealistic standards, noise is noise, it's all the same, you will never be happy in multi-family living, so the only solution that will make you happy is to move.
None of his complaints seem out of the ordinary or excessive -- they seem pretty justified to me.

Is it too much to ask of people to at least have enough respect and common courtesy not to engage in behavior that can literally make other people's lives a living hell?

Why should he have to go through the hassle and expense of moving? He's done nothing wrong, while you seem to be making excuses for people who are nothing more than disrespectful a--holes (adults and children alike).

Old 08-01-2009, 05:58 PM

2,637 posts, read 12,643,201 times
No, it is not too much to ask for people to be courteous. But people rarely are, and most landlords just really do not care about noise complaints. So practically, all that can be done is to move or learn to live with it. The sorts of people who make extreme noise rarely outlast a 12 month lease.

Old 08-01-2009, 06:44 PM

15,131 posts, read 32,375,941 times
Most landlords just want the $$, and will rent to literally anyone. Where I live, when I moved in, I had next door neighbors with a 5 year old. He would come over to my house and pull all the leaves off my plants. Then his mother would fight with her boyfriend, and scream at the child. I used to get up a 4am for work, and I wasn't getting enough sleep. I finally told the manager, "if you don't do something, I will, and afterwards, you won't have a job." The woman must have heard me on the phone talking about reporting her to Child Protective Services, because they gave a week's notice and moved out.

Then another couple with a 4 year old moved in. They started having a lot of company, lots of parties, then moved five more people in. They would smoke under my windows, throw the cigarettes butts all over the yard, plus drink Corona and leave the empty bottles and caps all over the yard.

I told the manager the same thing, if you don't do something about it, I will. Needless to say, the owner gave them an eviction notice, they didn't know why, and proceeded to trash the place when they left.

So I finally got some decent neighbors next door, but the duplex across from me was rented to a couple with two infants that cry all the time, plus they hang dirty wet rags on the fence to dry. It aggravates those of us that work and fix up our places, because the others make it look like we live in the ghetto.

Old 08-01-2009, 07:33 PM

8,979 posts, read 20,406,035 times
There are wayyyyyyyy to many people in this Thread (and the one that I did) that totally understand what I'm talking about. They are even giving their own situations that have happened/are happening now. So, that only means one thing to us (wife/I)........we sure as sh*t don't care what you have to say to us!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post

Old 08-01-2009, 08:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,087,915 times
I had a problem back in March with the person who lived above me and every time they walked you can just heear constant THUMPING. But she wasn't the entire reason because we have hardwood floors and it seems like it's more likely to hear noises from walking. I knocked on her door 3 times in one month asking what the hell she was doing where she was walking so much at 7am in the morning-lol

Yes it can be very annoying to live under someone so I can imagine flipping out if I lived under someone with kids.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:57 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,087,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilli View Post
No, it is not too much to ask for people to be courteous. But people rarely are, and most landlords just really do not care about noise complaints. So practically, all that can be done is to move or learn to live with it. The sorts of people who make extreme noise rarely outlast a 12 month lease.
I refused to believe that if a person who is complaining is paying rent on time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting