Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 08:30 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,853 times

Advertisements

We live in a 3 story apartment building. We are on the second floor. Two weeks ago we got new neighbors upstairs. They have two little children. Since they moved in, they've been making very loud stomping noises at all hours of the day even past midnight a few times. I'm not home during the day but my GF and her mother are and they say it goes on all day. I've been home this weekend and it's been on and off all day.

I went to management and they said to call the number after 10pm if they are making noise and a "courtesy officer" will come and tell them to keep it down. I feel a little uncomfortable doing that.

I understand they have two children, but I feel that they can make an effort at certain hours to keep it down. I'm not sure if I should go speak to them in person, write a note and leave it in their door, or to have the office deal with them?

What's best to avoid any kind of conflict or bad relations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 11:06 AM

3,111 posts, read 8,056,744 times
See renting forum for 2000 threads on this same topic.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:29 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,287,554 times
anything you say to these people will be construed by them as "bad relations" or "conflict"...unless the management is willing to have a word with them (even that is highly unlikely to work)....there's really nothing you can do,but grin and bare it...that's unfortunately one of the big downs of renting in an apartment building.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:57 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,788,602 times
I grew up in the same type of tenement, also on the second floor of a three story building. It all depends on your neighbors. What you can do is reach out and get on their good side if they are good people. Then, one say tactfully mention how loud those foot stomps can be especially late at night. Not saying it will work in your favor, but if you go out there and complain it may work but it may also create tension between you. Same if you call the housing office. Definitely not an easy situation to deal with, especially if they are inconsiderate a-holes.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:25 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
That is the downside of being in an apartment. Not much you can do about the stomping. I am sure from their POV it isn't very loud.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:32 PM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,853 times
I apologize I didn't realize there was a renting forum, I didn't see it. I figured there was nothing we can do, but I thought at least saying something to them so they are aware is at least trying to do something, I just didn't want to do it the wrong way.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:39 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,198,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
anything you say to these people will be construed by them as "bad relations" or "conflict"...unless the management is willing to have a word with them (even that is highly unlikely to work)....there's really nothing you can do,but grin and bare it...that's unfortunately one of the big downs of renting in an apartment building.
After living under the primadonna from hell for ten years, I knew NEVER, NEVER, NEVER rent or buy an apartment that has another one over it.

NEVER.

Like NEVER.

As in NEVER.

Old 07-22-2012, 12:55 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
You really only have 2 choices.

1. Talk to them in a friendly tone and hope they reasonably respond.
2. Turn them in and hope they don't get PO about you being the bad person.

If possible I'd try 1 before I went to 2. Problem is many people are low class, don't respect others and can make your life hell. If they did that I would go to option 3.

3. Move

Old 07-22-2012, 01:31 PM

1,892 posts, read 2,534,821 times
Tough situation and I've had the same problem in the past. I mean you want to remain civil since you have to live next to them but on the other hand you have a right to peace and quiet. I'd politely voice my concerns to them personally and make sure you're as detailed as possible (ex. stomping) so they know what's causing the noise. If you don't want to talk to them personally the next best option would be having the office ask them. I wouldn't leave a note, it can just be misinterpreted to easily.

Just remember you have a right to live there undisturbed. If your neighbors are like most neighbors and reasonable, they should understand. There's a lot of people who don't really realize how much noise they're causing and how it much it disturbs their neighbors.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:59 AM

3,985 posts, read 5,016,782 times
After the newest (and loudest yet) neighbors moved in about 3-4 months ago, I had finally had enough. I've NEVER complained about my neighbors...even though I surely wanted to...but this new family was so freaking loud. They stomp EVERYWHERE they go, drop things that seem really heavy, blare their music. It got worse when school let out in May.

About a month ago, I finally called the apartment office and told them that I didn't want to make any enemies or make anyone uncomfortable in their own home, but I was going to go stark raving MAD if they didn't cork it. I seriously thought I was going to have a panic attack on this particular day. They may have been playing on the Wii or something b/c I couldn't figure out why on earth they were jumping up and down for hours on end.

The complex came by, talked to all the neighbors, not just the offenders. Turns out, we were all distressed about loud music blaring at all times by neighbors' guests. Thankfully, that stopped. But what they said to the upstairs folks was basically, beware of how loud your footsteps are and try to keep it down. As I repeated several times to the manager, I don't want to tick anyone off, but I can't handle this stomping. She told me that everyone should be happy in their own home and that they really try to spread the respect, if you will.

Anyway, I think the upstairs neighbors really have been trying. They're just normal people with kids...can't always control the situation. Yesterday, they were out of control but on the average, they've improved. I would never call the police for noise unless it was beyond the normal Fri/Sat nonsense and I probably won't call management again. I never see my neighbors and don't care if they like me or not, but I don't want them to feel like hostages in their own home either. I just have to realize that that's life in communal living.

Personally, Kate, talk to management and ask them to re-issue their noise policy to the tenants and remind them that footsteps are amplified. I'm sure they'll do a basic reminder and specifically to the offenders if necessary and see where it goes from there. For me, it's nervewracking and worth one call. After that, ya gotta live with it...IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting