Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:40 PM

3,988 posts, read 5,023,003 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
Wrong, Southking!!! Never had a noise complaint about me. EVER. And you're right..I don't walk on eggshells around my home and I won't..I shouldn't have to...I pay rent to live here and have a right to walk in my home, when I want, how I want and how much I want. And someone below me doesn't like it, they can move. I am up at 0400 everyday..I'd love for someone to tell me I can't get up that early and walk thru my house or leave my house to take my dog for his morning walk.

No, I don't have a contractual or moral obligation in regards to noise..I've read my lease. It clearly states what is considered excessive noise and walking, dropping things, peeing, showering, flushing your toilet aren't on the list.

And you really think living in a single family home solves all the noise problems? Ha! It's doesn't. You're still going to hear the blaring music, the loud cars and motorcycles and the fighting couples...unless you live out in the middle of nowhere, you're always going to have noise issues with neighbors.
I don't think anyone is saying you can't walk when you want or do your thing on your schedule. I don't care if you get up at 4 - take your shower, walk your dog, do what you like. My point is that when you actually do live in this type of setting, try to respect other people. It just sounds like since you pay rent (as the others do, mind you), you go out of your way to stress that "right".

The noise clauses never are all inclusive because that would be a little too "big brother" but why would it be hard for you to remember that maybe, if you got a wild hair to rearrange furniture, that it might disturb others? Do you really not see that? Maybe if I knew you, I'd think differently, but it seems it's this type of attitude (ME, ME, ME) is why many people don't go directly to their neighbor and instead call the office on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 01:40 PM

10,746 posts, read 26,066,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic View Post
Darnit, I can only rep you ONCE!! You nailed it exactly...and I'm glad you did because I don't think ol' Kim has a clue...respect goes a very long way in communal living. I'm not asking the impossible and I'm not expecting pure quiet. To say I should just up and move is inconsiderate thinking. We all have our individual circumstances that put us in the place where we are - I would doubt someone would want to live in a loud, chaotic place but for some (me) that's the only choice I have at this time. It's not up to others to discern anything else. Most of the pictures on my wall need frequent adjusting from all the activity. It seems she could have benefitted from some of that courtesy to others, but maybe it comes from the "I can do whatever and whenever and all else be damned". IDK.

And yes, I do have a problem when parents leave their children unattended. THAT's why I can't go to the only pool at the complex because I have to struggle too much with all the children. I can hope that my neighbors will be considerate and actually, I've noticed improvement. It's certainly not perfect but I can live with respectful neighbors. I probably couldn't live with someone like Kim in FL if she's moving furniture at all hours of the night - people like that, I've noticed, just don't care that much about others.
Actually, Shellic...you're the clueless one. Hang around this forum a bit and you'll see that you're not the only one.

And to say that everyone who lives above you should walk on eggshells is also inconsiderate thinking.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Actually, Shellic...you're the clueless one. Hang around this forum a bit and you'll see that you're not the only one.

And to say that everyone who lives above you should walk on eggshells is also inconsiderate thinking.
Yea, me clueless - you're funny. I don't recall saying that everyone should walk on eggshells. Not once did I say they shouldn't live their life. I'm only asking for a little respect. This seems lost on you as perhaps you don't offer that sort of thing to your neighbors. I love listening to my music really loud... but I don't usually do that because I'm aware of the people around me. I'll save it for a more appropriate time possible. As with anything, being aware of your surroundings is a positive thing. Maybe you're clueless?

I am, in fact, extremely tolerant. Probably more so than ANYONE I know when it comes to these types of things - if I wasn't, I might have made more claims or complaints. But I don't - why shouldn't some child be able to play on her Wii all day long? But let me tell you, when the walls shake, my pictures are tilted, I'm startled from sleep several times during the night, and a variety of other problems, why would it be hard for you to understand that that's plain inconsiderate?

Old 07-24-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellNic;25318220[I
]I don't think anyone is saying you can't walk when you want or do your thing on your schedule. I don't care if you get up at 4 - take your shower, walk your dog, do what you like[/i]. My point is that when you actually do live in this type of setting, try to respect other people. It just sounds like since you pay rent (as the others do, mind you), you go out of your way to stress that "right".

The noise clauses never are all inclusive because that would be a little too "big brother" but why would it be hard for you to remember that maybe, if you got a wild hair to rearrange furniture, that it might disturb others? Do you really not see that? Maybe if I knew you, I'd think differently, but it seems it's this type of attitude (ME, ME, ME) is why many people don't go directly to their neighbor and instead call the office on them.
That is exaclty what you're saying. You're saying your neighbor shouldn't be allowed to walk across her home because in your opinion, she walks too heavy. You're also saying your neighbor shouldn't be allowed to drop things. You can't control either one of those annoying (to you) things.

Complain about the kids at the pool (our complex has strict rules about kids and the pool), complain about the loud blaring music, complain about the ppl on their balcony at 11pm screaming and yelling. You are well wiithin your rights to do this!

In fact, I had the police out here two weeks ago for blaring music and partying on the balcony at 0000. I also made a formal complaint to the office about it. They do not tolerate that kind of noise. If you get three complaints in less than 6 mths, you'll be evicted.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:05 PM

[quote=ShellNic;25318355]Yea, me clueless - you're funny. I don't recall saying that everyone should walk on eggshells. Not once did I say they shouldn't live their life. I'm only asking for a little respect. This seems lost on you as perhaps you don't offer that sort of thing to your neighbors. I love listening to my music really loud... but I don't usually do that because I'm aware of the people around me. I'll save it for a more appropriate time possible. As with anything, being aware of your surroundings is a positive thing. Maybe you're clueless?

I am, in fact, extremely tolerant. Probably more so than ANYONE I know when it comes to these types of things - if I wasn't, I might have made more claims or complaints. But I don't - why shouldn't some child be able to play on her Wii all day long? But let me tell you, when the walls shake, my pictures are tilted, I'm startled from sleep several times during the night, and a variety of other problems, why would it be hard for you to understand that that's plain inconsiderate?[/quote]

Again, hang around this forum for a bit and you'll see that you're not the only one who thinks daily living noise is grounds for complaints.

If it's happening after 11pm, call the police. How hard is that? And make a formal complaint with the office. There is a huge difference between playing Dance Party USA on your Wii and your neighbor walking heavy. I'm sure even you can see that.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:
That is exaclty what you're saying. You're saying your neighbor shouldn't be allowed to walk across her home because in your opinion, she walks too heavy. You're also saying your neighbor shouldn't be allowed to drop things. You can't control either one of those annoying (to you) things.

Complain about the kids at the pool (our complex has strict rules about kids and the pool), complain about the loud blaring music, complain about the ppl on their balcony at 11pm screaming and yelling. You are well wiithin your rights to do this!

In fact, I had the police out here two weeks ago for blaring music and partying on the balcony at 0000. I also made a formal complaint to the office about it. They do not tolerate that kind of noise. If you get three complaints in less than 6 mths, you'll be evicted.
No, I'm not saying that. It is not my opinion that she walks too heavy. I'm able to discern jumping up and down and stomping with even a heavy walker. I actually have seen my neighbors (whereas you haven't) so I think I can make some conclusions about this. And while I think you're missing my point entirely, I guess I'm glad you're not my neighbor. My whole point has been about respect, being aware of the neighbors around you. If it's in you to do whatever you like whenever you like, that is also fine, but it gets back to respect. Sometimes, we tweak our behavior to be respectful of others. Perhaps you don't do this so you're not understanding of my point.

I do actually get your point though - and what's funny is that I get what you're saying about paying rent and having the freedom to do what you like. AND...I normally feel that way. It just turns out that the way I want to live my life does not generally effect anyone, especially my neighbors. I don't have to go out of my way to be considerate. Perhaps you do - I just don't know.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:16 PM

[quote=Kim in FL;25318640]
Quote:
Yea, me clueless - you're funny. I don't recall saying that everyone should walk on eggshells. Not once did I say they shouldn't live their life. I'm only asking for a little respect. This seems lost on you as perhaps you don't offer that sort of thing to your neighbors. I love listening to my music really loud... but I don't usually do that because I'm aware of the people around me. I'll save it for a more appropriate time possible. As with anything, being aware of your surroundings is a positive thing. Maybe you're clueless?

I am, in fact, extremely tolerant. Probably more so than ANYONE I know when it comes to these types of things - if I wasn't, I might have made more claims or complaints. But I don't - why shouldn't some child be able to play on her Wii all day long? But let me tell you, when the walls shake, my pictures are tilted, I'm startled from sleep several times during the night, and a variety of other problems, why would it be hard for you to understand that that's plain inconsiderate?[/quote]

Again, hang around this forum for a bit and you'll see that you're not the only one who thinks daily living noise is grounds for complaints.

If it's happening after 11pm, call the police. How hard is that? And make a formal complaint with the office. There is a huge difference between playing Dance Party USA on your Wii and your neighbor walking heavy. I'm sure even you can see that.
Really? After all this you still think my ONE COMPLAINT to the office manager is reason to lump me in with all complainers? Wow. I get daily living noise - I'm pretty sure I made it clear that I thought they were on Wii and not just walking heavy and even so, I let it go on for months. I thought it would get better or I'd get used to it...the kids upstairs are clueless and need to be taught but according to you, if it goes past 11 (10, where I live) I should call the cops.

Sorry, but my idea of a useful cop is not asking some child to cork it.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:56 PM

Quote:
No, I'm not saying that. It is not my opinion that she walks too heavy. I'm able to discern jumping up and down and stomping with even a heavy walker. I actually have seen my neighbors (whereas you haven't) so I think I can make some conclusions about this. And while I think you're missing my point entirely, I guess I'm glad you're not my neighbor. My whole point has been about respect, being aware of the neighbors around you. If it's in you to do whatever you like whenever you like, that is also fine, but it gets back to respect. Sometimes, we tweak our behavior to be respectful of others. Perhaps you don't do this so you're not understanding of my point.

I do actually get your point though - and what's funny is that I get what you're saying about paying rent and having the freedom to do what you like. AND...I normally feel that way. It just turns out that the way I want to live my life does not generally effect anyone, especially my neighbors. I don't have to go out of my way to be considerate. Perhaps you do - I just don't know.

The way we live our life doesn't effect anyone else either. I've never had someone come to my door and tell us not to walk, stomp or whatever. Not once have we had the office contact us regarding noise of any kind. I can't say that for the rest of ppl in this builiding. In fact, I know of two that were evicted for noise in the first 6 mths we lived here.

I am considerate, I don't have parties that last all night long. I don't blare my music. My dh and I don't fight like cats and dogs. I don't play Dance Party USA past 10pm. I don't allow my kids to run wild or scream and yell up and down the hallways. Dh and I don't sit on the balcony at midnight yelling on our cellphones, hollering at our friends in the parking lot floors down.

Show me where I'm not being considerate? Oh, that's right, I choose to walk in my home at all hours and won't tiptoe because someone might be sleeping.

And I dont' care if you think she's a heavy walker or not, all your bitching isn't going to change it. So, change the things you can.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:05 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,252,567 times
"Wrong, Southking!!! Never had a noise complaint about me. EVER. "

Doubtful Kim in FL. You probably just have a lazy apartment manager.
You are blowing smoke claiming that anyone wants upstairs tenants to walk on eggshells. The loud stomping is usually caused by someone running indoors. Why would someone have to run in an apartment that measures 30 feet by 35? Sure, it can happen once in a great while - maybe if something is burning on the stove, but almost no one complains about this type of occasional noise.
The aforementioned wall rattler was a petite young woman, less than 100 pounds but she constantly ran back and forth in her apartment and also up and down the stairs and in the hallways, she also never closed a door without slamming it.
That was just the tip of iceberg of this woman's rude and irresponsible behavior. After she moved, I never got another complaint from the downstairs neighbor.
Again, it does not take much effort to be a nice, respectful upstairs neighbor. In fact more energy is expended doing the opposite. In my experience the tenants who make the most noise also are the ones with a lot of "drama" in their lives and difficulty keeping up with the rent. All their energy is going into nonproductive activities like running around a small apartment.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
The way we live our life doesn't effect anyone else either. I've never had someone come to my door and tell us not to walk, stomp or whatever. Not once have we had the office contact us regarding noise of any kind. I can't say that for the rest of ppl in this builiding. In fact, I know of two that were evicted for noise in the first 6 mths we lived here.

I am considerate, I don't have parties that last all night long. I don't blare my music. My dh and I don't fight like cats and dogs. I don't play Dance Party USA past 10pm. I don't allow my kids to run wild or scream and yell up and down the hallways. Dh and I don't sit on the balcony at midnight yelling on our cellphones, hollering at our friends in the parking lot floors down.

Show me where I'm not being considerate? Oh, that's right, I choose to walk in my home at all hours and won't tiptoe because someone might be sleeping.

And I dont' care if you think she's a heavy walker or not, all your bitching isn't going to change it. So, change the things you can.
Well, dear, if you are actually that kind of tenant, which you only just divulged, then yes, you are probably very considerate. However, your comments in this post are really pretty inconsiderate. I didn't and have never requested anyone tiptoe. You seem to lack comprehension where this is concerned. I'm not complaining about you - I'm speaking of my neighbors who STOMP like a herd of elephants. I'm old enough and experienced enough to understand the difference in behavior.

All my bitching? Wow - again, Wow! Is that not an inconsiderate comment? Especially since none of my comments (save one) were directed at my neighbors? I realize I can't change you - and "all my bitching" is really just me being irritated with your inconsiderate comments about things I NEVER said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting