Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2009, 10:04 AM

805 posts, read 2,114,414 times

Advertisements

I have an apartment that I'm getting ready to rent and need to check the background of the tenants. I'm not sure what service I should use to do this. There are a lot of websites online that offer this service but I want to make sure that I use a trustworthy site.

Any suggestions? Is there a website that list the different companies that offer this service with reviews?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 10:46 AM

12,115 posts, read 33,670,625 times
Default I'm not a landlord but there is a service called

Fidelifacts (Employment Screening Services and Criminal Background Checks New York City New Employees) based in NY. I have called them when I myself had questions about credit related stuff and they seem to be pretty knowledgeable and i think they have been around a long time. They advertise tenant screenings as one of their services

Old 03-22-2009, 11:28 AM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
Another company is www.tenanttracker.com

Old 03-22-2009, 05:42 PM

805 posts, read 2,114,414 times
Thanks guys for the links.

Old 03-22-2009, 08:09 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Your local Rental Housing Association is a good bet and they can also provide rental agreements in compliance with local ordinances.

Old 03-23-2009, 12:03 PM

27,213 posts, read 46,724,071 times
http://bad-tenant.org/default.asp....I (broken link) don't know how many people signed up for this website but I already have put my last bad tennats on this website and people who lied on their application...

This isn't a real background check website but the more people who add bad tennats, it for sure will help limit others to rent to these scumbags...

You can also check out the public records and if you have online excess that makes that part very easy...be aware of people telling you that they have been evicted due to the previous LL being in foreclosure...I had that sob story already and it turned out the were indeed invicted but not due to the LL in foreclosure but due to not paying rent and damaging a property. The address they had given me was false and they probable just looked on the appraisers website to find a foreclosed property so i wouldn't be able to check with that LL....but I was smarter than the tenant and their name is now also incl. on bad tenants!

Old 09-27-2010, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 18,884 times
Hmmm...They should have a bad landlord site. I rented for ten years, perfect rental history. The ONLY time I ever had no problems with a landlord was a tiny apartment while in college, every other time--the landlord was a piece of trash. Always something. He didn't have the money to fix the AC (I live in the South) he always forgot to have the AC serviced, in a week he will have the money, his mom is sick, blah blah blah and OF COURSE the tiniest scratch on a wall is always a reason for the landlord to keep your security deposit. Any intelligent person knows they are never going to see their security deposit and their landlord bought a new dress with that money months ago! Landlords seem to forget that with renting out their home comes a responsibility. I have seen it so many times, A tenant requests the AC or Heating to be fixed (In July or December,) The refrigerator to be replaced, and the list goes on and the Landlord seems to forget that in order to rent out their place there are certain maintenance problems that is the responsibility of the LANDLORD, Thus the attractiveness of renting( people who rent usually do not have the cash reserves to replace those things, and do not have too) So, what happens? The landlord never complies and the tenant leaves--only to find a broken lease on their record when they go somewhere new. Is there a public record for bad landlords? Does something go on their record that says they were the responsible parties? No, the tenant is forced to just sit there and suffer. It's ridiculous, even more so that now there is a website for these trash landlords to post on. Too many irresponsible people out there trying to make a buck and forgetting to save their cash for the responsibilities they took on. The tenant takes all the weight. Now, when I rented--I made the LANDLORD sign a rental agreement, with me! It basically stated that in the evident of the owners negligence, the lease is thereby terminated. The rental agreement for tenants always semmed so faint on the landlords side for me. After reading there is a website for landlords to post about tenants, Its about time tenants fight back. Good thing I am related to a computer software engineer and a web designer. Now, I am going to get a website going with THEIR names and personal information plus the LANDLORD rental agreement. Any Landlord that refuses to sign, deem them a bad landlord and put them up there!

Have a great day!

Old 09-27-2010, 01:40 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaye View Post
Hmmm...They should have a bad landlord site. I rented for ten years, perfect rental history. The ONLY time I ever had no problems with a landlord was a tiny apartment while in college, every other time--the landlord was a piece of trash. Always something. He didn't have the money to fix the AC (I live in the South) he always forgot to have the AC serviced, in a week he will have the money, his mom is sick, blah blah blah and OF COURSE the tiniest scratch on a wall is always a reason for the landlord to keep your security deposit. Any intelligent person knows they are never going to see their security deposit and their landlord bought a new dress with that money months ago! Landlords seem to forget that with renting out their home comes a responsibility. I have seen it so many times, A tenant requests the AC or Heating to be fixed (In July or December,) The refrigerator to be replaced, and the list goes on and the Landlord seems to forget that in order to rent out their place there are certain maintenance problems that is the responsibility of the LANDLORD, Thus the attractiveness of renting( people who rent usually do not have the cash reserves to replace those things, and do not have too) So, what happens? The landlord never complies and the tenant leaves--only to find a broken lease on their record when they go somewhere new. Is there a public record for bad landlords? Does something go on their record that says they were the responsible parties? No, the tenant is forced to just sit there and suffer. It's ridiculous, even more so that now there is a website for these trash landlords to post on. Too many irresponsible people out there trying to make a buck and forgetting to save their cash for the responsibilities they took on. The tenant takes all the weight. Now, when I rented--I made the LANDLORD sign a rental agreement, with me! It basically stated that in the evident of the owners negligence, the lease is thereby terminated. The rental agreement for tenants always semmed so faint on the landlords side for me. After reading there is a website for landlords to post about tenants, Its about time tenants fight back. Good thing I am related to a computer software engineer and a web designer. Now, I am going to get a website going with THEIR names and personal information plus the LANDLORD rental agreement. Any Landlord that refuses to sign, deem them a bad landlord and put them up there!

Have a great day!
This is a great idea! I have been a homeowner for 15 years until recently when some personal issues forced us to sell our home and rent for awhile. I have been completely appalled by the behaviour of the landlord and what we have had to endure in the time we've lived here. I'm counting the days until I can buy my own home again.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:22 PM

1,174 posts, read 6,941,851 times
csaye - Take a look for the website from the link that got your shorts in a twist. That post was well over a year ago and your blood pressure appears to have been elevated needlessly. Apparently the website didn't go over well or perhaps there was some kind of lible or slander problem with it. In either case it's gone into the netherlands since the link was first posted about 18 months ago.

I betca' you'd have the same issues that the referenced site ran into if you tried to go down the same road. You'd either have to defend yourself against something or you'll have a coronary. Either event isn't good.

Old 10-02-2010, 07:22 PM

1 posts, read 18,766 times
the problem is there are some landords that do nothing, but u have a lot of tenants that bull s**t the landlord and do nothing to help themselves, so don't knock all landlords.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting