Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 10:23 AM

805 posts, read 2,116,327 times

Advertisements

I use

https://mysmartmove.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2013, 04:23 PM

2 posts, read 2,205 times
I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled across it just now. There absolutely should be a bad landlord site! I had the worse experience with a landlord that ended terribly. The woman that owned the townhouse I was paying handsomely for each month simply refused to fix any of the myriad of problems that existed from a terrible bug infestation to a garage that leaked everytime it rained so I couldn't store anything in that area. When her 20 year old toilet broke the first time I ever flushed it she accused me of clogging it - Paleeze! I'm a grown woman and know what and what not to put in a toilet!

Long story short, after months of trying to get her to fix things I started to fix little things myself and deduct the cost from the rent. She went ballistic and excercised the 60 day notice to vacate clause in the lease. I had to go to court to fight this and dispite the evidence I had on my side, she was within her legal right to do so and I ended up with an eviction on my record! Not for "not paying my rent", but because she wanted me out so she didn't have to fix anything! The laws are on the side of the landlord, NOT the tenant. It is aweful and now I am limited to what I can and can not rent.

Old 06-03-2013, 07:02 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,501,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ann9787 View Post
I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled across it just now. There absolutely should be a bad landlord site! I had the worse experience with a landlord that ended terribly. The woman that owned the townhouse I was paying handsomely for each month simply refused to fix any of the myriad of problems that existed from a terrible bug infestation to a garage that leaked everytime it rained so I couldn't store anything in that area. When her 20 year old toilet broke the first time I ever flushed it she accused me of clogging it - Paleeze! I'm a grown woman and know what and what not to put in a toilet!

Long story short, after months of trying to get her to fix things I started to fix little things myself and deduct the cost from the rent. She went ballistic and excercised the 60 day notice to vacate clause in the lease. I had to go to court to fight this and dispite the evidence I had on my side, she was within her legal right to do so and I ended up with an eviction on my record! Not for "not paying my rent", but because she wanted me out so she didn't have to fix anything! The laws are on the side of the landlord, NOT the tenant. It is aweful and now I am limited to what I can and can not rent.
Wow, what state do you live in?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:38 AM

55 posts, read 251,387 times
Quote:

I am a landlord and in florida the laws are in favor of the tenant. I would say you didnt go about it the legal way per the courts. Usually you have to send a certified letter to landlord and give a certain amount of time to fix usually described as "a reasonable time frame".

I saw one of those judge shows a few months back where the landlord was right in every way except he didnt put the security in a separate account per the law. Judge had to award the other party double the security amount.

Old 06-04-2013, 08:48 AM

103 posts, read 366,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by csaye View Post
Hmmm...They should have a bad landlord site. I rented for ten years, perfect rental history. The ONLY time I ever had no problems with a landlord was a tiny apartment while in college, every other time--the landlord was a piece of trash. Always something. He didn't have the money to fix the AC (I live in the South) he always forgot to have the AC serviced, in a week he will have the money, his mom is sick, blah blah blah and OF COURSE the tiniest scratch on a wall is always a reason for the landlord to keep your security deposit. Any intelligent person knows they are never going to see their security deposit and their landlord bought a new dress with that money months ago! Landlords seem to forget that with renting out their home comes a responsibility. I have seen it so many times, A tenant requests the AC or Heating to be fixed (In July or December,) The refrigerator to be replaced, and the list goes on and the Landlord seems to forget that in order to rent out their place there are certain maintenance problems that is the responsibility of the LANDLORD, Thus the attractiveness of renting( people who rent usually do not have the cash reserves to replace those things, and do not have too) So, what happens? The landlord never complies and the tenant leaves--only to find a broken lease on their record when they go somewhere new. Is there a public record for bad landlords? Does something go on their record that says they were the responsible parties? No, the tenant is forced to just sit there and suffer. It's ridiculous, even more so that now there is a website for these trash landlords to post on. Too many irresponsible people out there trying to make a buck and forgetting to save their cash for the responsibilities they took on. The tenant takes all the weight. Now, when I rented--I made the LANDLORD sign a rental agreement, with me! It basically stated that in the evident of the owners negligence, the lease is thereby terminated. The rental agreement for tenants always semmed so faint on the landlords side for me. After reading there is a website for landlords to post about tenants, Its about time tenants fight back. Good thing I am related to a computer software engineer and a web designer. Now, I am going to get a website going with THEIR names and personal information plus the LANDLORD rental agreement. Any Landlord that refuses to sign, deem them a bad landlord and put them up there!

Have a great day!

Try www.apartmentratings.com

Old 06-18-2013, 12:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,205 times
Actually, you just have to notify the landlord, it doesn't need to be certified. I notified her via email and various phone messages and in the end, she was within her rights according to GA to have me removed because of the 60 day notice clause.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:47 PM

16,787 posts, read 49,079,250 times
The company I used most recently was Rentec Tenant Screening | Instant Credit, Criminal, Evictions

I was happy with the information they provided.

Old 06-18-2013, 06:30 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,518,287 times
Quote:
Actually, you just have to notify the landlord, it doesn't need to be certified. I notified her via email and various phone messages and in the end, she was within her rights according to GA to have me removed because of the 60 day notice clause.
First, I think you should start a new thread on this bad landlord site topic. It's not in the right place here.

Secondly, I'm confused about whether you were evicted, or she just gave you 60 days notice to move? They're very different.

But, please start a new thread. This one is supposed to be about tenant screening services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting