Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 05:56 PM

315 posts, read 767,567 times

Advertisements

How long does it generally take to run a background check? We are 2 thirty-somethings, with no criminal history, (unless you count 3 speeding tickets, combined, over the last 20 years). Husband has a high level security clearance which he could not have gotten if we were shady people
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2013, 06:00 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barli View Post
How long does it generally take to run a background check? We are 2 thirty-somethings, with no criminal history, (unless you count 3 speeding tickets, combined, over the last 20 years). Husband has a high level security clearance which he could not have gotten if we were shady people
Less than 24 hours

Old 01-10-2013, 06:02 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
How long does it generally take to run a background check?
For most? Not long at all.

But like with a google inquiry...
if you have a common name and live in a large city you'll often get other clutter too.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:58 PM

That's what I figured. This lady was supposed to have submitted it Tuesday and said I would hear from her Wednesday afternoon or Thursday. I contacted her this evening and she said she couldn't reach anyone but would try again tomorrow (Friday) and let me know. I get a feeling it was never really submitted and I need a place to live by 2/1. Coincidentally, the owners of the house need a tenant as of the same day. Mike, I hope you don't take offence to this, but property managers in that area seem like a joke to me.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:09 PM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
That's what I figured. This lady was supposed to have submitted it Tuesday and said I would hear from her Wednesday afternoon or Thursday. I contacted her this evening and she said she couldn't reach anyone but would try again tomorrow (Friday) and let me know. I get a feeling it was never really submitted and I need a place to live by 2/1. Coincidentally, the owners of the house need a tenant as of the same day. Mike, I hope you don't take offence to this, but property managers in that area seem like a joke to me.
I'm not offended. I am not a property manager.
One reason to buy is to avoid property managers!

High volume, low margin business, often with little room for good client service.

Really, though, if she needs to speak with someone on the phone and they do not answer, what can she do?

Old 01-10-2013, 07:12 PM

Quote:
This lady was supposed to have submitted it Tuesday and said I would hear from her Wednesday afternoon or Thursday. I contacted her this evening and she said she couldn't reach anyone but would try again tomorrow (Friday) and let me know.
That sounds like she isn't set up to run inquiries on her own...
and is (illegally) glomming on someone else's account.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:29 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,854 times
People sometimes hire an agency to do background checks.

Old 01-12-2013, 11:35 AM

32,648 posts, read 48,040,180 times
I can get a credit report in 5 minutes. Criminal background takes a couple of hours. Calling landlords and verifying employment can take all week if nobody will call me back.

This past weekend the criminal search had a glitch and I submitted on Friday night and couldn't get results until Monday when the credit company had their regular office hours. Also, I go to the county and check for evictions, and that has to be during regular working hours.

So basically, it can take anywhere from 4 hours to 7 days to screen an applicant. That's with me working diligently on it. If everything goes smoothly, it takes me 2 hours to screen, plus the time to drive to the county clerk's office.

Old 01-12-2013, 06:34 PM

I heard from the property manager on Friday. She said the company said it's taking longer because it's out of state and they were currently waiting for the civil report. They SHOULD know Monday that we're not drug lord ex-cons.

Old 01-12-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I heard from the property manager on Friday. She said the company said it's taking longer because it's out of state and they were currently waiting for the civil report. They SHOULD know Monday that we're not drug lord ex-cons.
You're being jerked around... or something else is going on.

1) Unless the credit report shows some discrepancy with what you have told them...
there shouldn't even be a need to do more or deeper checking.
2) In Maryland, both criminal and civil cases are easily accessed online and for free.
Maryland Judiciary Case Search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting