Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 11:12 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,778,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian1776 View Post
Keep in mind that I rent from a nice middle class family and not some shady off-the-boat caribbean or Hispanic landlord
That has nothing to do with it at all
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 04:25 AM

11,200 posts, read 9,100,281 times
Quote:
Keep in mind that I rent from a nice middle class family and not some shady off-the-boat caribbean or Hispanic landlord
what was the point of the thread if this is the case??

Old 12-12-2012, 08:09 AM

393 posts, read 783,640 times
Quote:
Yeah well wait until that nice middle class family wants to take advantage of the skyrocketing rents in your area and sends you a notice that next month you have to pay $300 more or get out.

Personally, I would find living with a month-to-month lease way too stressful. Moving is annoying and very expensive. If you are living on a month-to-month, you have to ALWAYS be financially and emotionally prepared to move in the next 30 days. Doesn't matter if you have extra expenses, if you are sick, on vacation..whatever.

When my old building was sold unexpectedly, the new owners wanted to get everyone out and gut renovate th entire thing. All of the month-to-month tenants were immediately told to get out in 30 days. No negotiation.

If you have the money to put down on a new apartment, pay for moving trucks and broker's fees, and you don't find the apartment search process to be the most tedious thing ever, then sure month-to-month is fine.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:13 AM

18,480 posts, read 31,675,094 times
that nice middle class family will suck big time when they have a family member in need of an apartment and you are a stranger and they will sell your ass down the river.

month to month IMO, is not good.
unless like another poster her said their lease expired and are month to month, i am assuming they will be moving soon.

Old 12-12-2012, 08:30 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,504,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
that nice middle class family will suck big time when they have a family member in need of an apartment and you are a stranger and they will sell your ass down the river.

month to month IMO, is not good.
unless like another poster her said their lease expired and are month to month, i am assuming they will be moving soon.
Yep!! That's the situation I am in right now and it's awful!!!

Old 12-12-2012, 08:49 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,910,501 times
This is how it went down for me.

My Lease was about to expire so I wrote to the LL asking about her intentions. I said that I was willing to renew for another year as long as the rent is not increased. In fact I made it very clear to her that If the rent was to be increased I was gonna move out anyway.
She told me that no, she wasn't planning on raising it, and gave me the option of renewing or going on a month-to-month. I chose the latter thinking that we might be getting a bigger place soon anyways. We are also considering buying a coop, so the flexibility of the month to month arrangement is great.
We are also pretty good tenants so I'm sure she prefers that we to stay than to risk it with other tenants.
Lastly, whether on a month to month or a yr lease I'm always financially prepared to move. you never know when the unexpected can happen (fire, flooding, etc) so that's not a big deal.

Btw, I've never paid a broker's fee since I've been living here in ny, that's almost 14 yrs now

Old 12-12-2012, 03:31 PM

32,672 posts, read 48,152,369 times
I'm a landlord and I don't use leases. It's strictly month to month rental agreements for me. That way, if a tenant is a jerk or causes trouble, I can have him out in 30 days.

I've never raised rent on a tenant. I raise rent to market rate between tenants.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:16 PM

487 posts, read 1,358,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbullnyc View Post
Landlord will love to kick you out after 30days like previous poster mentioned when something better comes along.
Bull Sh_T
If you pay your rent on time
and don't complain
There is no better tenant.

Old 12-13-2012, 12:26 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,760,174 times
^ Disagree

Paying rent on time is good... someone else coming along and willing to pay on time AND pay more is better. Bye bye old renter...

I have a lease because I will not disrupt my kids lives by trying to move us in the middle of a school year or during the holidays. I love the security of knowing that I don't have to worry about moving until a certain time.

If I was single and only had myself to think about and didn't mind moving around... I might not be so enthusiastic about signing a lease...

Old 12-13-2012, 12:55 PM

3,076 posts, read 5,504,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigger37708 View Post
Bull Sh_T
If you pay your rent on time
and don't complain
There is no better tenant.
Well I have been in my current apartment since October 2005. Pay my rent on time. Never bother landlord for much of anything, even things I SHOULD have, like my shower that has been basically not working properly since 2008 and I have informed her of this many times, and I just get the "yea I know" response.

Yet, I got a call from her in the beginning of this month, right after Hurricane Sandy (and I live on Staten Island in one of the hardest hit areas) and right before the holidays, informing me that she is divorcing her husband, he is currently living in a hotel, and she needs my apartment for him. Just like that after all these years, not even a few months courtesy of let me give you some time to look. Just get out.

This was a lesson for me. After living on my own since 2002 and never living in an apartment that had a lease, I now know better.

Not saying my situation will happen to everyone, but let me tell you, you don't want to be going through what I am right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting