Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 02:24 PM

1 posts, read 3,024 times

Advertisements

I am renting a room with a friend whose parents own the property. I never signed a lease. Appliances are not working and the water is turned off due to flooding seeping over from the adjoining town home. What are my options? This is in the state of TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 02:33 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,685,783 times
Since you dont have a lease, your only options are what your state landlord tenant codes say are your options. Search for the laws and read it completely. If it don't address your issue, usually the lease would, but since you don;t have one, you may need to get a lawyer to tell you what YN normally does in cases like this.

This is what I found:
Maintenance by landlord.
(a) The landlord shall:
(1) Comply with requirements of applicable building and housing codes materially affecting health and safety;
(2) Make all repairs and do whatever is necessary to put and keep the premises in a fit and habitable condition;
(3) Keep all common areas of the premises in a clean and safe condition; and
(4) In multi-unit complexes of four (4) or more units, provide and maintain appropriate receptacles and conveniences for the removal of ashes, garbage, rubbish and other waste from common points of collection subject to § 66-28-401(3).
(b) If the duty imposed by subdivision (a)(1) is greater than any duty imposed by any other paragraph of this subsection, the landlord's duty shall be determined by reference to subdivision (a)(1).
(c) The landlord and tenant may agree in writing that the tenant perform specified repairs, maintenance tasks, alterations, and remodeling, but only if the transaction is entered into in good faith and not for the purpose of evading the obligations of the landlord.
(d) The landlord may not treat performance of the separate agreement described in subsection (c) as a condition to any obligation or performance of any rental agreement.
Title 66, Chap. 28, §66-28-304.

Failure to supply essential services.
(a) (1) If the landlord deliberately or negligently fails to supply essential services, the tenant shall give written notice to the landlord specifying the breach and may do one (1) of the following:
(A) Procure essential services during the period of the landlord's noncompliance and deduct their actual and reasonable costs from the rent;
(B) Recover damages based upon the diminution in the fair rental value of the dwelling unit, provided tenant continues to occupy premises; or
(C) Procure reasonable substitute housing during the period of the landlord's noncompliance, in which case the tenant is excused from paying rent for the period of the landlord's noncompliance.
(2) In addition to the remedy provided in subdivision (a)(1)(C), the tenant may recover the actual and reasonable value of the substitute housing and in any case under this subsection, reasonable attorney's fees. (3) "Essential services" means utility services, including gas, heat, electricity, and any other obligations imposed upon the landlord which materially affect the health and safety of the tenant.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:47 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMedlin View Post
I am renting a room... I never signed a lease. What are my options?
move. asap.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:26 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,070,033 times
Option One - Talk to the owners and find out when they will make the repairs, if they don't stop paying rent until they do

Option Two - Move

Old 05-10-2011, 07:11 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,457,844 times
Have you informed the parents of the problems?

Old 02-15-2012, 12:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,513 times
i have a friend renting my home. She wanted a roommate and I have my niece and great nephew, who want to move in. My friend is giving me a hard time, saying that she would be responsible if my nephew got hurt on her gym equipment, or by her dogs. I said she wouldn't be because it is my home..Also how much notice do I have to give her to leave my home. There is no lease>

Old 02-15-2012, 03:45 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,583,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvera1 View Post
i have a friend renting my home. She wanted a roommate and I have my niece and great nephew, who want to move in. My friend is giving me a hard time, saying that she would be responsible if my nephew got hurt on her gym equipment, or by her dogs. I said she wouldn't be because it is my home..Also how much notice do I have to give her to leave my home. There is no lease>
Typically it's at least 30 days, but depends on your state's landlord-tenant laws. You can likely look them up on the web. Google "landlord tenant laws <your state>".

Old 11-11-2014, 02:16 PM

1 posts, read 1,047 times
my house was foreclose but it cancelled. Now can I increase the rent to $500.00 on my tenant who live on my house and she pays only $300.00 a month?

Old 11-11-2014, 02:19 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,752,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c323748t View Post
my house was foreclose but it cancelled. Now can I increase the rent to $500.00 on my tenant who live on my house and she pays only $300.00 a month?
You should start a new thread instead of resurrecting an old one. That said, you cannot change the rent if you have a lease. If you are month to month, you will need to notify her. Look at your state laws.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate > Renting